FORUMS: list search recent posts

converting split sound tracks into mixdown for editing

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Menendez
converting split sound tracks into mixdown for editing
on Dec 4, 2011 at 11:04:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting a project I have to sync. The problem is, the sound files I have are the split tracks (HFs separate from boom etc...) and the editor absolutely wants to work with two tracks maximum, the mixdown stereo of the split tracks.

I can do an audio mixdown in the Avid, but then I lose the link with the original audio tracks, which is not good at all. I've tried doing group clips, subclips, multi group, but not coming up with anything workable.

I'm beginning to think I need to fix this problem outside the Avid first. I was thinking of something like Majax, but does it only work with Cantar files? The sound for this project was recorded on Sound device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: converting split sound tracks into mixdown for editing
on Dec 5, 2011 at 2:04:33 am

Are these monophonic (1 file for each track) or polyphonic (multple tracks in one file)?

Starting with v5, after you import the BWF files and using AutoSync, you can choose which track(s) you want to keep from the BWF file when creating the .sync subclip. For example, if your BWF is 8 tracks and the mix is on tracks 1 and 2, then in the AutoSync window, select keep tracks form range 1 - 2. The resulting clip will sync and extract those tracks in a single operation.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Jessica Menendez
on Dec 5, 2011 at 12:11:56 pm

Hi Micheal,

Thanks for your reply. The files I have are polyphonic (multple tracks in one file) WAV files. They have 4 tracks in one file. However, therer are no mix tracks, just the split tracks (separate HF, boom etc..). If I create the mix myself with an audio mixdown, the resulting audio mixdown loses its link with the original split tracks, so I can't, say, do a match frame to return to the split tracks either while editing, or worse, later, during the sound editing. So I'm trying to find a way to keep that link between the spits and the mixdown I myself have to create.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jessica

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 5, 2011 at 8:30:49 pm

Yikes! That's a different issue... Is the boom mike good enough to pretend to be the mix track?

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 5, 2011 at 8:33:06 pm

How about taking each take, make a sequence, do a mix down to the next available track, then go the sequence in the bin, select it, and AutoSync the seqeunce. That will make a subclip. Then AutoSync per my first posting with video using track 5 as the track to keep.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:04:31 am

I fear that won't allow matchframe to the original, Michael, nor track timecode.

If the editor needs to work with a mixdown, this should be delivered by the production sound team.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:46:19 pm

Hi Job -

Yeah... I was grasping for something as a solution and theorized on that one. An "AutoSequence" would preserve the timecode, but everything else would go away - I was thinking that the "sequence" would still point to its sources. This would be a great feature for application like Wave Agent and the like. Or dare I say. Avid? ;)

But for now, it is something that needs to be delivered by production. I just did the workaround of workarounds for a production where there was broken playback timecode on the LTC and the requirements was to have burn-in of the LTC on the source sync clips from file based sources. I'm sure you'll figure it out with some extra thought. Actually some of those steps might work in this scenario. I just need to test them.

Hope you're well.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Jessica Menendez
on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:10:07 am

Hi Michael, hi Job,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Your suggestions have been most helpful.

After many tests, I decided not to try to fix this problem within the Avid, that it needed to be sorted out BEFORE I import the sounds in order to retain the link with the original files.

Though the sound was recorded on Sound Devices (and not Cantar), we were able to use Majax to create the mixdowns. I think Wave Agent may also work to do achieve this.

It looks like this solution is going to work out perfectly.

Thanks again,

Jessica

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:14:31 pm

Good to hear that Majax can create the new mix track from ISO's. I was working on the 22 step workaround within Avid... Good luck with the project!

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Peter Nash
on Nov 30, 2013 at 10:31:01 pm

Hello Jessica,

I just found your post about this from a couple years ago - and I'm very happy I did. Majax seems almost perfect for mixing down the audio like this, except for it's annoying tendency to process / rename every file into the Cantar mould (using the "Import non-Cantar Files" function).

Did you find a way to work around this within the program or did you
A) leave them the way it renames them or
B) batch rename them afterward?

As it is, I am duplicating every audio bin (hundreds of files) because I don't want Majax to automatically rename all of my audio, but this means that I then have to duplicate all of them, let it process all of them upon import (IE rename them), then I choose Mixdown Polyphonic, then batch rename all of files it creates (in Adobe Bridge).

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]