FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer 6 - importing ProRes files - why's it still transcoding to MXF

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Hinds
Media Composer 6 - importing ProRes files - why's it still transcoding to MXF
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:44:24 am

Hi there

I'm new to Avid and coming over from Final Cut Pro.

I've read that the new Avid Media Composer 6 can import Apple ProRes natively but when I try it still transcodes all my ProRes QT files so I have 2 copies of the media and transcodes it to MXF and it takes time and uses up more disk space.

So how do I import a ProRes QT file into MC6 and have it import without transcoding and be instant so I can edit with those ProRes files directly instead of having Avid do a transcode and double up of the data?

I must be missing something really simply here :-)

Cheers
Rory

Rory Hinds
mine
http://www.minefilms.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Media Composer 6 - importing ProRes files - why's it still transcoding to MXF
on Dec 2, 2011 at 8:45:13 am

You need to use the LINK TO AMA FILES option. Do that and you can either edit the ProRes QT files natively. Or, you can then CONSOLIDATE or FAST IMPORT and wrap them into an MXF wrapper...they'll still be ProRes, but ProRes MXF.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
Re: Media Composer 6 - importing ProRes files - why's it still transcoding to MXF
on Dec 2, 2011 at 2:00:58 pm

AMA will allow you to link directly to the files and edit them. However, many long-time Avid users advocate for allowing Avid to import the footage, because it logs the data and you won't lose it. Avid's media management is second to none.

Also, it's not, strictly speaking, transcoding the footage, as no conversion is taking place. The files are simply being re-wrapped as MXF. You'll know this is happening whenever Avid says it's "Fast Importing" files.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mike Silverman
on Dec 3, 2011 at 8:50:04 pm

I'm brand new to Media Composer (from FCP) - Is it possible to do Multiclip editing with files that are linked using AMA?

If not, is the only way to use the Multiclip function by importing ProRes files and going through the process you've described?

Do all file formats have to be wrapped in MXF in order to work with (without using AMA)?

Thanks,

Mike S

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]