FORUMS: list search recent posts

completely tapeless workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Oliver
completely tapeless workflow
on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:25:38 pm

I am new to Avid. I know how to cut with avid, but as far as ingesting and finishing...I need some help.

I have a completely tape-less work-flow.

Footage is shot in High Definition on a variety of sources. Nowadays, mostly on Canon t2i, JVChm700, Red, etc.

I want to transcode all of the footage so I am always working out of the avid folder. What settings should I be transcoding the footage to to edit with? I ideally don't want to have to re-link files when I am done. My raid and computer are fast, I don't think I need to do an offline/online.

When finished with a project, I master to web files, dvd, and/or blu ray. What is the best kind of file to create so that I create these deliverables?

My avid is PC based, although I also have a mac. Generally I use encore to create dvd/blu ray, and Media Encoder to create web files.

Thanks!

-Ben

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: completely tapeless workflow
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:22:03 pm

[Ben Oliver] "What settings should I be transcoding the footage to to edit with?"

What are you shooting? What will you be delivering/Mastering to? Personally, I'd transcode all the footage to DNxHD...but to their native dimensions. If you shot 720p, use a 720p project to import that footage. If 1080, then 1080. Then, I'd use a project setting that matched what I needed to deliver.

If you have the space, transcode to the highest quality you want. 720p tops out at DNxHD 145 or 175. 1080...220.

[Ben Oliver] "When finished with a project, I master to web files, dvd, and/or blu ray. What is the best kind of file to create so that I create these deliverables?"

Export a self contained QT file, using the project settings. That is always the best way, no matter what NLE you use.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ben Oliver
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:28:52 pm

Thanks Shane,

Is there a difference in 145 vs 175?

I shoot everything from commercials, events, to music videos, short narratives, etc. I own a T2i and have been using that a lot lately. For decent budgets, I rent, sometimes the Red. I'm interested in the AF100.

I figure if I bring in everything high quality to start, there are a lot fewer steps in the end....

-Ben

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:34:50 pm

[Ben Oliver] "Is there a difference in 145 vs 175?"

Well...yes. DNxHD has a higher data rate, and therefor is higher quality. But the quality of the source video always needs to be taken into account. Canon DSLR is 8-bit 4:2:0. Going to DNxHD 145 is a good choice. Going to 220, or 220x...overkill. The format will not benefit from the additional data rate.

But since you are only going to BluRay and the web, 145 might be a good resolution for you. the other ones are best for broadcast mastering.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]