FORUMS: list search recent posts

Down AVID's Rabbit Hole -- A Cautionary Tale

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wiley
Down AVID's Rabbit Hole -- A Cautionary Tale
on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:46:36 pm

Starry-eyed we went for AVID's FCP cross grade offer and then recently purchased the upgrade to 6.0 from 5.3. Because of a recent hard drive event, I had to reinstall 5.3 in order to upgrade to 6.0 and and found I could not because the 5.3 version was already "activated". Being new to AVID, this led me to begin searching the AVID website for information on how to deactivate the software.

I found a phone number to call, got an automated menu and was then hung up on. Twice.

So I decided to search the AVID forums and found that some with similar issues had received help that way, so I decided to try and post to the Mac Media Composer forum. After logging into the AVID website with a previously created account I tired to post to the forum and got this:

"Please link your account
It appears as though your Avid Video Download Center (ESD) account has not yet been linked to your Avid Master account. You must link these accounts to continue your access."

Sigh, because I'd seen this screen before a few weeks ago and thought I'd done this step . . .

So I provide the requested information again and the response is:

"The username and/or password cannot be validated, or your account is locked out, or has not been approved yet."

Which is odd, because I just logged in previously . . .

Another phone call and the phone system hung up on me again . . .

If there's an AVID rep reading this, understand that I am posting here because I tried your support/website system to resolve what hope is a simple issue and was defeated. So far the AVID user experience has not been a great one.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Down AVID's Rabbit Hole -- A Cautionary Tale
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:23:38 pm

[Peter Wiley] " I had to reinstall 5.3 in order to upgrade to 6.0 and and found I could not because the 5.3 version was already "activated""

I don't think you need to install previous versions of Avid MC to install the upgrades. The upgrades should be full installs. Am I wrong?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Dec 1, 2011 at 7:16:04 pm

Shane is right, by the way, no need to reinstall 5.x if your goal is a running v6 system. That should install from its own installer, with its own activation code.

Return to posts index

marvin mason
on Mar 15, 2012 at 9:22:38 pm

Hi there! please help me, im unable to activate MC in my Mac 10.7.2

After loading Media composer, the dark grey Avid Media Composer Activation window appears. I continued with Electronic Activation. I chose to activate with my internet connection. Activation and Registration said it was successful and then when I click Done in the Avid License Control window it takes me back to the dark grey Avid Media Composer Activation window. From there I can Quit or Continue. When I hit continue it takes me back to the Avid License Control window, the product says it is activated, and I can choose Done. When I hit Done. it takes me back to the Avid Media Composer Activation window where I can Quit or Continue. If I hit Quit, it quits, If I hit Continue, it takes me back to the Avid License Control window, and so on....

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Dec 1, 2011 at 7:14:42 pm

Peter, that is rather unfortunate, and not at all the way it should be. Apparently, something is wrong with your Avid website account, but the fact that your calls to the activation phone numbers were hung up is a really bad thing, and not one that is common.

Usually, when things like that happen, an email to Customer_Advocate@avid.com gets this sorted out rather quickly, but it so happens that this email address won't be monitored until Monday (this rarely happens).

For the moment, see if you can find any help here:
http://community.avid.com/forums/t/99212.aspx

I also recommend you try the phone numbers for activation / deactivation again, as that should be the way to go about this.

Return to posts index

Andreas Friedrich
on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:18:19 am

Hi, Peter,

aside from the website/support issues, it's pretty easy to deactivate or activate your license by using the "Avid License Control" tool found under AVID Utilities. I had to use it several times for upgrading hardware.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andreas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]