FORUMS: list search recent posts

Synced sound using Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hughes
Synced sound using Avid
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:41:06 pm

Hello all,

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to read this whole thing!

I am trying to figure out the best workflow in working with interviews shot on my DSLR and audio recorded separately. Basically, for a documentary project I am working on I have shot a few interviews with 2 cameras that were over 30 minutes long. All the audio was recorded as one 30-minute file, but both cameras are broken up into 4 files each. We started and stopped each camera at different times to have complete video coverage of the interview (however we mostly only stopped recording during questions). I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with syncing these long interviews in Avid MC4. I would like the timecodes to match both the CAM1 and CAM2 interviews so my life is easier when I start editing the 2 cameras.

The plan I am going with now is:
-Sync all the CAM1 clips on one timeline and do the same for CAM2 on a separate timeline with the same audio clip (now their TC is matched up)
-Break up both sequences into 4 parts (one for each video clip)
-Change the start timecode for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sequences to match where they were in the one big sequence (i.e. the 2nd clip begins at 11:43:21, so the sequence INT CAM2 2-4 starts at that TC)
-Auto Sync all of those sequences into 4 synced clips for each camera

The problem I am having now is the timecode resets to 00:00:00 after I Auto Sync the sequence.

My first question: Is there a way to manually set the timecode of an Auto Synced clip in MC4?

My second question: Is this process as overcomplicated as I think it is? Is there a better way to do this without exporting and re-importing a giant synced file?

Thanks!
Ryan

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Synced sound using Avid
on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:03:51 am

You can't set a timecode for an AutoSynced clip. Autosynced clips reflect the actual timecode of the video and audio elements it consists of - as they should.
What you can do, is assign an AuxTC to these clips, which you can track, read, or base an EDL on, if you like.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:04:52 am

You can't set a timecode for an AutoSynced clip. Autosynced clips reflect - athe actual timecode of the video and audio elements it consists of.
Also, you may want to check out Grouped clips, which can contain multiple video clips too. That way, you can just switch cameras, even straight from the timeline.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:40:12 pm

If you only have two cameras, why not just take your big timeline of camera 1, add camera 2 to a second track on that timeline. Now you have two cameras synced. I'm guessing you want to do a multicam, but for a simple two camera shoot, multicam might not be that necessary. Duplicate the sequence so you have a master copy, and simply play down the timeline, stopping and lifting out sections of track two as you go. This will cut from track 1 to 2 in your final edit, and allow you to get cutting quicker. Collapse everything down to 1 track when you are done, and move on to the next project.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]