FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Avid for Resolve prep?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul McDonald
Which Avid for Resolve prep?
on Nov 25, 2011 at 5:45:48 am

Hi everyone,

I work at a post-house that exclusively edits on FCP. Recently we've had a few Avid jobs coming through our Resolve grading suite that needed a bit of extra EDL cleanup and relinking. We managed with FCP but I suspect it may have been easier to just pick up a copy of the Avid projects and prep them properly in Avid before collecting the elements for the grade.

I have zero experience with Avid's, so was wondering which Avid software package we'd need to purchase to pick up external projects, and import and export EDLs. In fact is it even feasible to transfer projects around a la FCP? Do projects happily shuffle around the different Avid programs? For example could a project cut in Studio open in Media Composer?

We're not trying to reinvent our workflow with the purchase - we're just hoping to add an extra tool to make the grade prep a little smoother in the future.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gaz Evans
Re: Which Avid for Resolve prep?
on Nov 25, 2011 at 2:25:02 pm

Hi Paul,

Avid projects can move around quite free - I often move projects from Media Composer to Symphony etc. and I believe Studio projects can also be moved to Media Composer. All the important files for the projects will be stored in their own folder titled the same as the project, to share a project you just need to copy this folder to where the system stores the other avid projects and you are good to go (obviously may need to re-link the media if you have changed which drive contains the corresponding media files).

If its just to get things ready for Resolve I wouldn't think you need anything more than the software version of Media Composer.

Hope that helps.

Gaz

Gaz Evans

Workflow Technician
The diROOM
http://www.diROOM.com

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 25, 2011 at 2:43:59 pm

Studio and Media Composer are nowhere near compatible. One used to be a Pinnacle product, the other is Avids core editing software. So depending on where your projects come from, you would need one or the other or both.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 25, 2011 at 11:09:59 pm

Also the color correct or in symphony has some differences. The project will open, but there may be some subtle differences in some time line effects. If you use symphony to open media composer, you would see no differences...with the exception of any plugins that were used of course.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 25, 2011 at 11:31:14 pm

MC plays back Symphony color corrections, AFAIK. You just can't alter things like secondary CC. Source-based CC however does travel across when the sequence is opened in MC, even though MC lacks that feature.

Return to posts index

Paul McDonald
on Nov 27, 2011 at 11:45:41 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. Sounds like MC will do the job perfectly. Plus the FCP discount sweetens the deal..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]