FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC 5.5 to PPro and back again

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike harrington
Avid MC 5.5 to PPro and back again
on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:10:56 am

working with a company that does not have the time to edit a project....
They are using MC 5.5 I am using PPro CS5.5
I am checking out the possibility of exporting an AAF from avid to edit in PPro and output an AAF from PPro and back into Avid.
Ideally the project would be captured in Avid(panasonic DVCProHD) and the media drive copied so I can use it.

The question is will avid relink to the mxf files when the AAF is imported....
or is this better handled by capturing with adobe and using AMA relink in avid after the AAF import.

convoluted question I know....
thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid MC 5.5 to PPro and back again
on Nov 25, 2011 at 8:05:06 pm

"The question is will avid relink to the mxf files when the AAF is imported...."

I think the question is, how will you get the media captured in Avid into Premiere? Avid captures as MXF and captures audio and video separate. So if you can import the files, and Premire does read them, you'll then have to sync up all of the footage. Then you can start editing.

"or is this better handled by capturing with adobe and using AMA relink in avid after the AAF import."

Getting Avid to relink via AMA when you AAF from another app is iffy...spotty at best. Even with the Duck, going from FCP to Avid I was only able to get it to work about 30% of the time, and not fully.

Don't do this. If time is short, don't try to go from one NLE to another NLE and hope that things just reconnect in the end. Either get Avid and edit with that, or say that you cannot do it and let someone who knows Avid edit it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mike harrington
Re: Avid MC 5.5 to PPro and back again
on Nov 30, 2011 at 11:45:54 pm

Just so anyone searching the threads can find this.....

AAF from AVid-PPRO and back to AVid is totally doable....

Right now I am capturing in PPRO and sending an AAF to Avid which is then batch captured in Avid from original source tapes and working flawlessly. Adobe dosn't like Avid's version of MXF....so it is either captured at both ends....or is AMA into MC

It will also work from an AAF to avid through an AMA link....but then if there is a change later in life it is not as simple to get the original media from the tapes...i.e. no batch capture.

"Don't do this. If time is short, don't try to go from one NLE to another NLE and hope that things just reconnect in the end. Either get Avid and edit with that, or say that you cannot do it and let someone who knows Avid edit it."

Thanks for the advice Shane....I do know Avid as well, but am not into working nights at a facility with only one suite....and I still would like the work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]