FORUMS: list search recent posts

What about continuous PLAY

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charly Stone
What about continuous PLAY
on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:51:23 pm

I just try to switch back from FCP to MC. Very annoying that MC stops playing everytime I click anywhere in the timeline. FCP or Quantel or PPro or even my Avid DS keeps playing, while zooming or scrubbing in the timeline.
I would love to see it in MC 6.1.
(and of course a SET CLIP DURATION button...)

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: What about continuous PLAY
on Nov 24, 2011 at 8:05:05 am

Pardon my ignorance, but what would that button do exactly?

Return to posts index

Charly Stone
on Nov 24, 2011 at 10:15:55 am

'Set Clip Duration' should be like Alt-D in FCP. You click on a Clip in the timeline, enter a new duration, and everything right from this clip is rippled. Without Trim-Mode, without concerning about track selection.
I often use it for titles or graphics

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 24, 2011 at 3:23:17 pm

Nice one. However, have you checked out the Extend button/key? Instantly trims any nearest cut to your Mark In or Mark Out.

Return to posts index

Charly Stone
on Nov 24, 2011 at 5:29:25 pm

Of course, but it's without ripple. But anyway, the main thing I'm missing is Play while zooming or shuttling through timeline...

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 24, 2011 at 5:32:52 pm

Agreed!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:06:08 pm

Have to say I agree with Charly - I find Avid's lack of ability to do anything while playing the timeline quite annoying.

In addition to being able to move and scale the timeline while playing I would love to see them make it possible to use the audio mix tool while playing.

It is so much quicker in FCP to correct audio levels on the fly rather than the timeline stopping every time you adjust anything.

I was quite disappointed to see this still hadn't been implemented in MC 6

I hope they can modify that in future releases.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:44:58 am

can't you just turn on the automation gain control on the audio mixer...hit record and then ride the levels in real time to record the audio keyframes while the timeline is playing?

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 26, 2011 at 9:13:28 pm

Hi Andy

That is an option and I do sometimes do that but often I dont always want to work in automation gain mode.

You can also use loop play as another method of doing this so the ability is there.

The fact I am adjusting the level means I want to hear it so I can't think of a logical reason for the timeline stopping in the first place other than perhaps it was a limitation of earlier hardware.

Imagine what a Protools mixer would say if the timeline stopped every time they made an adjustment - it would be a non starter.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:18:57 am

BTW, MC does play on when tweaking sound levels when you use an external mixing board, like the Avid Artist Mix (formerly known as Euphonix MC Mix).

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 27, 2011 at 6:12:53 pm

Hi Job

Yes I have worked with a control surface in the dim and distant past on Avid - think it was on something like a Yamaha 01V via midi but cant quite remember the exact set-up. It was a good while ago.

I have a Mackie Universal that I use with FCP and I know that is supported under ProTools as it will run in HUI mode. I have not tried a control surface with Avid for years so I am a bit out of touch with what is now supported. As far as I know Avid cant use anything other than Eucon protocol is that the case ? If so then the Mackie wont interface.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 28, 2011 at 12:54:19 pm

Eucon, and some JL Cooper and Yamaha stuff I think.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]