FORUMS: list search recent posts

G Drive not a RAID drive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Eckhouse
G Drive not a RAID drive
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:18:47 pm

I'm about to import all my footage shot on 35mm and begin edit process. Was telecine'd/transferred to DNX175. I am going to attempt to edit on my home mac pro (hopefully) running MC5.5. I'm wondering
1) if I can use the Hitachi G-Drive 2000 (it says Gen 4 on the label - 'I'm assuming that means 'generation 4') as my scratch disk. It IS NOT a RAID drive. Will it be able to handle HD DNX175?
2) Can I install Media Composer 5.5 in the first place?? - i have an early generation Mac Pro 1.1, Dual Core 2.66 Ghz, Snow Leeopard, NVidia GForce 7300 - just put in 16Gigs of RAM. Doesn't seem economical to update the processor on an old machine like mine.
Forgive my novice level - I'm an actor/director making my first venture into doing my own editing. I truly appreciate any advice/help on this matter!!
James

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
Re: G Drive not a RAID drive
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:48:30 pm

You will be able to edit, but it will likely be clunky and delayed, not fun for cutting. If you have any multiclip material, do not expect good performance out of it. You can get a RAID G drive instead if that's an option, they're not too expensive these days.

And yes I think you'll be able to install MC.

Return to posts index

James Eckhouse
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:06:01 pm

Thanks Brendan for quick reply. It is what I expected. Back to Fry's to exchange for a RAID!

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:38:58 pm

James,

There is a thread just down the list

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/883069

that talks about old Mac's and the new MC.

DNX175 should play fine through FW800.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]