FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't install MC6 because Mac can't change to 64-bit kernel

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Thomas
Can't install MC6 because Mac can't change to 64-bit kernel
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:19:49 pm

Despite thoroughly checking my Mac Pro specs I have discovered a problem that makes installing MC6 impossible. I have a MacPro2,1 with a Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor running Lion OS. So far so good.

However when I check for 64-bit kernel and extensions the software overview says "no". Changing to 64-bit either using the 6 and 4 keys at startup or using the toggle in terminal (provided by Avid) does not work.

A little app I found tells me that the Mac has a 32-bit EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface)and it is this that is stopping me from switching to 64-bit. Essentially the Mac Pro in not 64-bit ready.

Both Mac and Avid believe that this Mac is able to run 64-bit, but be warned it cannot.

If any genius knows a way of getting round this problem a large drink will be provided anywhere in the world as I have now got MC6 and no way of using it!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Can't install MC6 because Mac can't change to 64-bit kernel
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:38:36 pm

You can ignore the installer warning. It will install anyway. It runs fine, I am running MC 6 on a Mac Pro 2,1. That machine (and the Mac Pro 1,1) have 32 bit EFI, as you noted. Mine is a custom configured 8 core.

MC still runs in 64 bit mode. The OS cannot run 64 bit kernel extensions, but that doesn't matter unless you have DX hardware. The new DX kexts are 64 bit only, I have heard.

Note, this is an unsupported configuration. But it does work. make sure you max out the RAM if you want it to work well.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Nov 22, 2011 at 5:49:46 pm

Thanks John. You're right of course - have a large glass of your favourite and send me the bill.

Now got MC6 up and running. Black magic intensity card pushing out the picture to an HD monitor through HDMI straight away.

My first though is how awful the font is. Really bad kerning and virtually unreadable when t and i are together - eg untitled! Whichever font I select (Verdana is the best I've found) it is hard to read. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

marco flaminio
on Nov 23, 2011 at 5:57:57 pm

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/103107.aspx

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Nov 23, 2011 at 10:49:53 pm

Marco. Thanks for the above link to cure the font issues I was having. It worked a treat. Can't understand why this is not the default setting for MC6.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]