FORUMS: list search recent posts

more cores or faster processors

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Marshall
more cores or faster processors
on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:13:28 pm

Hi
I am moving back to Avid from FCP and I find myself needing a new edit workstation. I eagerly look forward to MC 6 and the Blackmagic Ultra studio.
Which is better for MC 5.5 or 6 having more cores say Macpro with 8 core (2.64 ghz) or 12 core (2.66ghz ) or having an HP z400 with 4 or 6 core 3.4ghz processors?

Any thoughts?

Cheers James

Return to posts index

Gaz Evans
Re: more cores or faster processors
on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:25:29 am

My gut feeling would be that processing speed is more important than number of cores however to make sure the system is future-proofed for as long as possible I would go with the 6 core HP z400.
Its a very interesting question and I like know the opinion of other members on this.

Gaz

Gaz Evans

Workflow Technician
The diROOM
http://www.diROOM.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Nov 19, 2011 at 2:34:20 am

For MC 6? Now that it's 64 bit? I'd say lots of ram and more cores - but the example you gave was apples and oranges (HPs.) Pick more cores from the most modern Chip.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New! FCPX DSLR workflows; What's new in Media Comopser 6; Full Media Composer 6 basics from macProVideo.com
Come see me speak at the Government Video Expo Nov 30 - Dec 1; Seminar link here
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

James Marshall
on Nov 19, 2011 at 2:09:38 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys, but I am still puzzling over the processor speed differences between the apples and oranges. Is this because the measure the processor speed differently?

It seems that the suggestion is to get the fastest processors you can afford in the greatest numbers.
The price difference between the HP z400 with 6 cores running at 3.3ghz (£1800) and the apple with 6 cores running at 3.3ghz is (£2600) is quite steep.
Which is better for Avid MC5.5 or 6 the HP or the Mac?
Does Media Composer use multiple cores?

James

James :)

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Nov 23, 2011 at 4:19:02 am

MC 6 uses multiple cores (so did 5!). It's the processor type. That's how you comparer. You're mentioning the speed, but not the specific processor. Nephalem? Core2duo? i5, i7? Each iteration is a different release of processor from Intel.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New! FCPX DSLR workflows; What's new in Media Comopser 6; Full Media Composer 6 basics from macProVideo.com
Come see me speak at the Government Video Expo Nov 30 - Dec 1; Seminar link here
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

James Marshall
on Nov 26, 2011 at 3:53:30 pm

Ok so I am being simple here for my own benefit.

My choices of platform are:
(CHEAPEST) an HPz400 with Xeon® Quad-Core Processor W3550 (3.06 GHz)
(MID) an iMac 3.4ghz i7 4 cores
(EXPENSIVE)a Mac Pro with Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Xeon “Westmere” (8 cores)

Swings and roundabouts
Macs have thunderbolt PCs have USB3
Aja and Blackmagic I/o boxes fit both

Do I take the cheaper PC option? is there a workflow or speed disadvantage in the PC over the mac.

All thoughts gratefully received.

cheers James

James :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]