FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 6 + Black Magic Decklink = a thing of beauty

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Stephenson
MC 6 + Black Magic Decklink = a thing of beauty
on Nov 16, 2011 at 10:00:20 pm

I just downloaded MC 6.0 and have run through a couple of projects with it as a cursory test - different frame rates in 1080. I recently switched from FCP and have been running software only as I do finishing in davinci resolve.

I have to say that working with MC 6 is so far so good. The interface is more contemporary, the tabbed windows are a nice convenience. What takes the cake, though, is the Open I/O. I installed the BMD decklink 9.0 drivers, opened MC with a project and boom - picture on my broadcast monitor. As easy as that! To boot, my blackmagic studio card is much snappier on MC 6 than it ever was in FCP and certainly more snappy than premiere (not to mention about a zillion times more stable).

While I've not used it in battle yet, it would appear that they have really positioned MC to become not only the best professional editing choice out there, but also the coolest. Resolve and MC on the same system is a dream come true. Kudos to the Avid team for the update.

-------------------------
Design, Animation, Editing, Color for Cinema, Broadcast, Web and Installation.

Gear: 2 X Macpro 8 Core Nehalem, ATTO R380, Proavio EB8MS, nVidia GTX-286, Blackmagic Decklink Studio, AJA LHi, FSI LM-2461W, Tangent Wave, Yamaha HS50Ms W HS10w Sub

Tools: Avid MC 5.5 (formerly FCP), CS 5.5, C4D13, Resolve 8.1, VDMX, Quartz Composer, Processing, Cubase 5.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: MC 6 + Black Magic Decklink = a thing of beauty
on Nov 16, 2011 at 10:43:46 pm

I second your comment i was super please with having it work so well with my BM Multibridge. So simple compared to even FCP7 no more needing to make sure the NLE is set to the right output Avid does it for me. I think that.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Robin Moran
on Nov 17, 2011 at 1:41:47 am

Same here. Feels weird to finally have all my gear work within MC6.

BTW, I'm getting stuttering playback from DSLR footage both in Source and Record monitor. Weird thing is RED files playback flawlessly. Did I forget to install something like an AMA plug-in for DSLR media?

My gear is MacPro 2x2.4ghz, 32gb ram, Quadro 4000, SSD system drive, 4x2tb media drives.

Any help is appreciated

Return to posts index

Robin Moran
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:08:37 am

Got MC6 to playback DSLR footage. Uninstalled Perian and playback is silky smooth.

Return to posts index

Robin Moran
on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:38:04 am

Is there anyway to reroute the audio to come out of the LED display once the BM drivers are installed? I clicked on the Client monitor icon and the picture disappears but the audio is still playing via there. I wanna be able to edit on my desktop display with audio.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:07:21 am

Re
" they have really positioned MC to become not only the best professional editing choice out there, but also the coolest."

Was it ever any other? Not in my experience.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Nov 17, 2011 at 1:57:21 pm

Funny hearing Avid described as "cool." Longtime Avid editors used to grate their teeth when hearing how "cool" that new FCP thing was. GRRRR. I guess it's come full-circle.

Fine with me!

Chris

Return to posts index

Justin Stephenson
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:46:59 pm

"Funny hearing Avid described as "cool.""

True. FCP brought in what I think was the great game changer - it opened up choices for people - you could use any hardware you like. Uncompressed SD, HD, 2K for a grand + your hardware card. Pick the card you like. It had working EDL, OMF, XML - it talked to everything quite nicely. It ushered in a professional workflow (though not without some bumps) for a fraction of the cost of an AVID. This was super cool as it put these tools into the hands of creative people that would not have been able to afford an avid system - like me. Not only this, FCP allowed you to work with traditional 3 point - clip based editing, or wing ding drag and drop timeline style. Super duper cool. People coming from AVID or M100 or Premiere could get in and up to speed quickly.

Sadly, instead of building on this, Apple chose to "change the way video editing works". Puh-lease! They've created what is probably a fabulous system for a certain type of production, but not one that integrates with established professional workflows. Likely a business decision - going for the bigger iMovie market.

AVID has been so smart about this I think. They're rightly capitalizing on the fact that they have always been in the business of serving the professional customer. All of us using FCP in professional workflows are hungry to find a new home. I would actually say that Premiere would be awesome if it worked properly, but it doesn't.

AVID is going to win this one by combining their cachet of "always there for the pros" with the coolness of Open I/O, more functional UI, ProRes support, and their new brand orientation of "were listing to you". Smart.

Having worked on lots of different systems, I would still say that AVID still has a lot to learn from other apps though: the marquis tool, avid fx, the way that you import and output material really feel like bolted on and parochial solutions rather than cleanly integrated, robust workflows. These are things that even Premiere does really really well - if I have to put together a quick animatic with stuff coming from all over the place, that's sadly the tool I would use.

I would just finish this up by saying that I really do think they;re headed in an great direction. Like I said in my opening post, I installed MC6, the BMD 9.0 drivers and it all just worked. Yes! Black Magic Decklink from an AVID. In the wild west of open I/O, shifting software paradigms, seemingly daily video format inventions, this is indeed very cool. I love my new home.

- J

Gear: 2 X Macpro 8 Core Nehalem, ATTO R380, Proavio EB8MS, nVidia GTX-286, Blackmagic Decklink Studio, AJA LHi, FSI LM-2461W, Tangent Wave, Yamaha HS50Ms W HS10w Sub

Tools: Avid MC 5.5 (formerly FCP), CS 5.5, C4D13, Resolve 8.1, VDMX, Quartz Composer, Processing, Cubase 5.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:10:24 pm

[Justin Stephenson] "the way that you import and output material really feel like bolted on and parochial solutions rather than cleanly integrated, robust workflows."

Actually, not to be to persnickety, but Avid's is probably THE MOST robust workflow precisely because it has always required proper planning and media management at the start of the project. No lost media, or forgotten links to songs on CDs still sitting in the tray with Avid of old. However, with the new AMA workflows to appease the masses, these types of problems will undoubtedly creep back in.

Undoubtedly a brave new world. And I too love my home on Avid.

Chris

Return to posts index

Jeremy Loftus-Hills
on Nov 17, 2011 at 8:38:48 pm

What OS are you on, Lion? I'm still on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and can't get a blink out of my monitor with BMD decklink studio. BMD support aren't saying much eother.

Return to posts index

Justin Stephenson
on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:15:03 pm

HI J,

I'm on 10.6.8. Apparently not officially supported, but working for me. I'm in the middle of some animation projects and don;t want to switch to lion until their done.

- J

Return to posts index

Tim Farrell
on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:44:06 pm

Try an uninstall of Desktop Video 9 and then reinstall. I had same issue as you but this fixed it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]