FORUMS: list search recent posts

latest solutions to monitor out for Mac

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
latest solutions to monitor out for Mac
on Nov 13, 2011 at 12:08:39 am

What is the latest recommendation for monitoring using AVID MC 5.5/6? Working in Apple ProRes 422, Panasonic broadcast monitor 1710 and prof. Panasonic plasma. (SDI and component inputs). Want to learn DaVinci Resolve for color correction. I use both macpros and macbook pros. Would the AJA I/0 Express work for all or do I need a capture card for the towers? I use the AJA KiPro to record in prores both directly and to record from tapes.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: latest solutions to monitor out for Mac
on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:30:42 am

I think you will get much more feedback after Tuesday, when MC6 is launched. MC6 will allow you to use a lot of I/O boards from a lot of vendors (Aja, Matrox, Bluefish, Motu). There are many solutions for both towers and laptops.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2011 at 3:34:18 pm

Thanks,

I will check back later in the week. I know the list will greatly expand.

However I am under pressure to submit a budget.

I thought MC 5.5 already had support for some I/O boards and boxes.

Will the AJA I/0 Express work for both macbook pros and MacPros?

Is there a board that will work for the MacPro?

Again my need is to monitor out for color correction. Other abilities would be a bonus not a must.

I just don't have the luxury to have a budget that I will spend when ready.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 13, 2011 at 6:43:01 pm

- I thought MC 5.5 already had support for some I/O boards and boxes.
It does. AJA Io Express (I/O) and Matrox MXO2 Mini (Output only).
- Will the AJA I/0 Express work for both macbook pros and MacPros?
Yes. But you get one HBA with the Io Express, so you'd need to purchase the other one separately. There's a PCI HBA for your workstation and there's an ExpressCard HBA for laptops. Make sure your MBP is one that has an ExpressCard slot.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2011 at 7:18:54 pm

Thanks. I see the need for card for each. The more i think about this, I think I will color correct only on the Mac Pros but still need to monitor out of laptop -- so if Blackmagic's isn't a better choice for all these needs, I'll go for the portable version of the AJA I/O since it will also help monitor out when I'm using the Ki Pro. I'm getting the Ki Pro exo skel to mount under a camcorder and it would be great to monitor to broadcast monitor and then swap out hard drives on Ki Pro and transfer file to macbook pro on location while continuing to record. I'll ask on the KiPro forum if the blackmagic box can monitor out the KiPro since it will work for resolve as well. Then I'll get a second graphic card for the Mac Pro and that should do it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 13, 2011 at 4:36:02 pm

[Craig Alan] "Want to learn DaVinci Resolve for color correction. I use both macpros and macbook pros. Would the AJA I/0 Express work for all or do I need a capture card for the towers? "

DaVinci Resolve requires a Blackmagic Design capture card for SDI out. The AJA hardware is not supported and will not work.

Blackmagic has also just announced support for MC6 [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2011 at 4:56:54 pm

Thanks Walter,
Looked at link. I don't have thunderbolt or usb 3. I have a sata expresscard 34 slot and a tempo sata pro expresscard/34 (which I use for my media raid) for the macbook pros and obviously open pci slots in the macPros. So what would you recommend?

Use a pci slot and express slot for a usb 3 card?

I was leaning toward the AJA I/O express also because it would allow me to monitor out the KI PRO directly. But I'm glad you let me know about DaVinci Resolve's incompatibility with it. Kinda strange that I'm more confused now than a year ago. Adds new meaning to "learning curve."

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 13, 2011 at 4:59:59 pm

Check out the DaVinci Resolve Configuration Guide [link]. It will explain your hardware options.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 13, 2011 at 4:55:38 pm

Get an Extreme 3d from Blackmagic. Its about 950 bucks, which is actually one of the cheaper "high end" solutions out there. It will work with Resolve, as well as MC 6 for both In and out. It also works with Premiere and Final cut . You will also need a second graphics card for Resolve to run properly.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2011 at 5:07:15 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "You will also need a second graphics card for Resolve to run properly"

If the [Glenn Sakatch] "Extreme 3d from Blackmagic" has SDI out what is the second graphics card for and which one do you recommend?

Not sure it matters but we are not using 3D or 2K only HDV, ProRes, panasonic P2.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: latest solutions to monitor out for Mac -- NOW OT: DaVinci Resolve
on Nov 13, 2011 at 5:18:04 pm

[Craig Alan] "If the [Glenn Sakatch] "Extreme 3d from Blackmagic" has SDI out what is the second graphics card for and which one do you recommend?"

Resolve does all its processing on the GPU. It was originally built for CUDA (thus requiring an NVIDIA card like the GTX 285, Quadro FX 4800, or Quadro 4000). The config guide suggests one graphics card for handling the operator GUI, one CUDA-enabled graphics card (with no monitor attached) for image processing, and the video I/O card for SDI.

You can work with a single GPU (again, see the config guide), but it does reduce performance.

Check out the COW's DaVinci forum [link] -- there's a great collection of knowledge there, and you'd learn a ton just combing through old posts for an hour or two.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2011 at 5:38:04 pm

Thanks Walter. Didn't know that Resolve had different requirements than just analog out to broadcast monitor or i would have posted on resolve forum instead. Under the gun to put in budget request and researching too many things at once. Still learning MC (switch from FCP 7) but know within the year I will be adding resolve lite for color correction. I have a Quadro fx4800 so I just need the other card and I should be good to go.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 13, 2011 at 7:38:40 pm

CURRENT SOLUTIONS FOR AVID MONITORING:

Matrox MXO2 Mini. Output only, no capture.

AJA IO EXPRESS. Capture and output. SDI in only, Component and SDI out, but limited audio options (SDI in and out only, RCA out only...no XLR, no AES)

Both work with laptops and MacPros. Neither work with RESOLVE.

WIth Media Composer 6, the options are many. Pretty much every current model of all the major makers...AJA, BlackMagic Design, MOTU, Matrox. BUT, the ONLY ONE that works with Resolve is the Decklink Extreme 3D. No, you do not need to be doing HD for this to work...it just an option. Now, the Decklink will NOT work on a laptop. So if you want an all in one solution that works with Media Composer, Resolve, MacPro and Laptop...sorry, one doesn't exist.

If I were you, I'd get the Decklink Extreme 3D for the MacPRo, and the AJA IO Express for the laptop.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:10:59 pm

If I were you, I'd get the Decklink Extreme 3D for the MacPRo, and the AJA IO Express for the laptop.

Thank you Shane,

Just to be clear the decklink should be paired with a second graphics card like the quadro fx 4800 (I have one available I know there are others) ?

The AJA I/O express could be used for monitoring on a second macpro if I have the HBA for it? It won't be able to use davinci on the second system but will be able to use an analog monitor. Or if I am not using the second pro for resolve is there a fairly inexpensive pci card that will do the trick?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:14:20 pm

[Craig Alan] "Just to be clear the decklink should be paired with a second graphics card like the quadro fx 4800 (I have one available I know there are others) ?"

Yes, Resolve requires that (or other model) NVIdia card in order to work properly.

[Craig Alan] "The AJA I/O express could be used for monitoring on a second macpro if I have the HBA for it?"

Yup. Order both the PCIe and Express34 cards with the AJA IO Express, and then you can just switch it back and forth between machines.

[Craig Alan] " It won't be able to use davinci on the second system but will be able to use an analog monitor."

Correct. As well as capture, if you so wanted.

[Craig Alan] "Or if I am not using the second pro for resolve is there a fairly inexpensive pci card that will do the trick?"

Matrox MXO2 mini is the current cheapest option that works with MC5.5....and both Laptop and MacPro. with MC6, the Decklink Intensity Pro is the cheaper option...but is tower only.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:38:54 pm

[Shane Ross] "(or other model) NVIdia card"

What if the graphics card that came with the MacPro is a Nvidia? Would I then need to add only another Decklink Extreme 3D and I could use resolve on that as well? Or does it need to absolutely be one of the ones Walter mentioned: like the GTX 285, Quadro FX 4800, or Quadro 4000? There is a HP Dream Color monitor at the school as well. Could that be used for color correction with decklink extreme 3d and the stock NVIDIA card? Or a panasonic pro monitor? I know none of these are as good as a broadcast monitor, particularly a Flanders.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:52:11 pm

Other NVIDIA cards (GT120, 8800) are not powerful enough or do not support the technologies necessary to run processing for Resolve. You can use AMD cards which support OpenCL (such as those in new iMacs), but they are not as fast as as the CUDA-enabled cards I mentioned earlier, and they do not support noise reduction with Resolve at all.

I gave you the list of officially recommended GPUs for Resolve. Some colorists are using specially flashed GTX 470 and GTX 480 cards. See the thread Comparing Resolve performance... [link] for more.

Again, BMD recommends 2 graphics cards and 1 video capture card. You will also need good, fast storage. You don't need a control surface to drive Resolve, but it's a much more pleasant experience.

This is all in the configuration guide, and there has been quite a lot of discussion already on the Resolve forum that you will benefit as you try to spec your system and establish a budget.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2011 at 11:06:22 pm

got it. Thanks. I'll set one mac pro up for resolve and get a monitor out card for the other. I'll keep tuned this week for other options if time allows and will read through resolve forum for an entry level control surface if I can make room in budget.

Return to posts index

Micah Herman
To Walter...
on Nov 23, 2011 at 5:01:11 pm

Walter,

I've been a big fan of your posts and have followed your contributions for sometime. I'm a feature director who is getting into some more intensive post in my home office and recently decided to take the plunge and by a new mac to edit alexa and red footage and, ideally, do some color grading with Davinci Resolve.

I just bought the new imac i7 3.4 ghz with an SSD drive and 6970 2 gb card, along with the pegasus 8TB thunderbolt external drive. I've ready your not the hugest fan of the new iMac for high end post, but I was wondering under the circumstances, what setup you would use for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm not planning to buy right away, and am comfortable waiting a few months until the new TB peripherals come out. But any suggestions of what I should be planning for are appreciated.

I'll probably be cutting in MC 5.5 or 6, along with Final Cut Pro X on occasion. Maybe use Scratch or Resolve, depending on what you suggest. I'd also like to be able to edit and output uncompressed HD (if that's possible) and would really appreciate any equipment recommendations (the new AJA ioxt) or any monitor suggestions you might have.

I've read lots of different things on these message boards, but I've found you to be very informative. Also, i just purchased the iMac so if you think it's a bad investment for the next 2-3 years, I can still take it back as it's on back order for a week.

Thanks again and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

-Micah

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: To Walter...
on Nov 23, 2011 at 5:33:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Micah. Much appreciated!

I think that now is a tough time to be buying a Mac -- Thunderbolt iMacs are tempting, and the current Mac Pro is looking a bit outdated and due for a refresh (with Sandy Bridge just on the horizon).

That said, if you're serious about RED work and want to buy today, I'd lean towards the Mac Pro. You can get a CUDA card (for better performance and noise reduction), you could get a RED Rocket card, a second dedicated GPU for Resolve processing, or all of the above with an expander (assuming you also have a RAID card and Decklink).

If you can hold out, I'd consider waiting for Resolve on Windows to be released, as some PCs have more expansion slots than the Mac Pro (alleviating the need to buy an expander), and there are more options on Windows for CUDA-enabled GPU processing. By the time that is released, more TB peripherals should have hit the market and you can make a more informed decision about both platform and computer model.

On the subject of monitors, I've got an FSI, and I love it.

I don't do RED work, but a lot of folks on the Resolve forum do. If you have specific questions, you might head over there for better answers.

I haven't used SCRATCH, either, because I didn't see how it would fit in my workflow. I'm more focused on graphics-heavy animation, compositing, and finishing, and I thought SCRATCH was too DI-focused to be worthwhile for me. It may be a good fit for you, though, and it's available cross-platform now, too. It may be worth doing the demo once you buy your system.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Micah Herman
on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:59:53 am

Walter,

Thank you so much for your input. I thought long and hard about what you said, and actually got an apple engineer on the phone through a contact I have there. I showed him your email and he agreed with what you're saying for the most part.

Thanks again for your prompt response. I'm going to check out your company's site. I shoot lots of commercials, develop TV and am shooting my first major studio feature this year, so perhaps there is some synergy down the line.

my best,

Micah

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:29:32 pm

Thanks, Micah. My website is definitely a case of the shoemaker's children going barefoot; please feel free to reach out to me sometime (I'm easy to find via my services page [link] here on the COW) if you want to touch base.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]