FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hilfe! AMA link from FCP Project to Avid MC is not working

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Almut Getto
Hilfe! AMA link from FCP Project to Avid MC is not working
on Nov 12, 2011 at 10:08:18 pm

Hi everybody,
I have a huge problem and really hope to find someone to help here!
Mind you... this is either s easy we don´t get it here or very tricky?
OK, yes, I´m a girl... and I´m German... BUt should be the answer that simple?

So here is the problem: I´m taking over a feature film project that so far has been edited on Final cut pro (7). I need to import 2 Sequences and relink them. I have an Avid Adrenalin and especially downloaded myself the trial of 5.5 as it promises you can import and relink sequences via AMA ... Sounded very easy. (I had 4.05) To cut a long story told: I check out a tutorial on Youtube how to: I exported via Automatic duck, imported to Avid, chose relink AMA volume (that´s where the first problem started... was not quite sure which folder to choose. May be I need to add here, that I received 2 ext. hard drives with-for me- a very unorganized folder structure but hey, I don´t know anything about FCP ) ... However: no matter what folder I choose, I end up with nothing relinked.

So I have the sequences in my avid, they look fine, BUT they are offline. The strange thing for me- as I don´t know anything about FCP: In the Avid the files are named just fine (Shooting day/ scene/take....) But when I look for the originals in the FCP on the External disks theres nothing named anything like it. May be that´s the problem?

I have spent 10 hours searching the net.... a bit desperate now

Anyone that can help???

Greetings from Cologne

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
Re: Hilfe! AMA link from FCP Project to Avid MC is not working
on Nov 12, 2011 at 10:56:46 pm

The clips may have been renamed inside of FCP and not match the file names. Has the AAF brought in the clips? If not put the sequence in its own bin, right click in the bin and go to bin settings then select to "show reference clips". That should bring up all the clips in the sequence and somewhere in the metadata should hopepefully be the file name.

One method for getting sequences to relink via AMA, is to creat a new link via AMA to all the QT files on the drive, and then (with the bin that contains all the clips and all the clips selected) perform a relink on the sequence and click on the option that says "relink to selected in open bind".

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 12, 2011 at 11:30:56 pm

Hi, thanks ever so much for the quick reply !!
I think there´s actually a chance, the clips have been renamed. But I don´t know. I don´t now anything about FCP. All I see is, that the clips, once imported into Avid, are name referring to the scenes and takes. So I see an offline sequence named something like 90b1_2 but there seems to be only corresponding files with names like A1338b557f666 (That´s random)

I wonder if I need to tell the people that have sent me the material to deliver something different ? Then again.. I get the FCP Project online in FCP.

Any suggestion to finish the programme in FCP is useless. I just can´t edit in FCP. I don´t know the programme at all

So what can I do??????

If you lose humour in life, life is simply not funny anymore

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Nov 13, 2011 at 12:09:24 am

Just try linking via AMA to all the the QT files on your drive, then do a relink to selected in open bins on the sequence. Avid looks at the source file and timecode to relink, so it might work.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCP7
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 1:36:24 pm

Thanks again! I very much appreciate your help!!

I tried it with open bins, but still "no clips have been relinked".
One of the Problems seems to be, that MC does not recognize the FCP files as QT /AMA files. Only in one case it does- here the files are in Res444, the rest is in 422. Still even with that material yellow there´s no relink to the sequenz possible. I have noticed that the yellow clips refer to name and source and the offline clips refer to Name and Tape. The tape-name here seems to equal the name of the yellow clips (the source there is basically the name plus .mov)

So may be it is a setting problem ? Avid looks for tapes but the fcp clips only content sources?

All files in the FCP Folders (They are organized as Shooting days and content is a folder names Picture-clips have no suffix (could that be a problem?) and a folder named sound- clips are .wave- and a fcp file. Sound and picture is synced in FCP, but when I do an export via automatic duck and an import of the sequence I end up in MC with separate sound and picture clips.

This is really a pain :-(

Any other Idea?

Return to posts index

Hans Sieber
on Nov 13, 2011 at 4:01:46 pm

Hi Almut,

you could try the followiing to maybe get the relink working.(You see al lot of maybe...) As already mentioned in the post by Andrew link the files via AMA into a new bin. Then put the sequence into the bin with the linked AMA files. Choose the Sequence AND the AMA Clips. Choose Relink and in the top of your relink options choose "relink to selected online items". (Not in front of an Avid right now...) Also you mentioned that the original files are having a tape name. Avid normally relinks using source (tape name) and TC. So you could try to modify the clips by giving them the respective Tape names of your offline clips. Just a guess but had some issues relining to AAF Sequences coming back from grading nad in that case it was the missing tape name.

Hope I could be of some minor help.

Hans

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 4:45:17 pm

Hi Hans,
will try that in a minute.
Still... MC only finds very few AMA files. Most files I don´t even get online to start with and I just don´t know why.
Any guess?
Thanks, Almut

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 5:20:08 pm

ok, so I think I know at least a part of the problem .... AMA only recognizes files with .mov at the end. (which are the ones in 444. Most files are 422 (Lt) and don´t have a suffix. It´s turned of but somehow I can´t change that. Even when I unlock the Info I can´t uncheck the box.

I don´t know why Avid does not accept them without .mov at the end, but i changed a few by hand and then they came online

Still don´t know how to get it relinked.... I have just copied all the data from the rough edit to a new disk and made a new project. But even this version I don´t get relinked.
What the hell is wrong here?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 7:00:46 pm

Andrew, I tried your suggestions but unfortunately with no success.
Although the sequence including all clips shows up in the bin and it all looks good besides the fact it is offline I just can´t get it relinked.
I have tried once more the shooting day with the 444 files and the .mov suffix. Got them all online... can watch them in the Avid, but they just won´t relink to the sequence.

Is there a way to export the whole FCP project via Media Manager and then get it into the Avid once it is recoded ? Or would I loose all information and connections and have no chance to relink? (if it is possible I´d need some step to step and an idea which codec to use to save disk space..... FCP does not offer me DNxHD. I think I have all codecs installed though.....But I nneed to use something smaller I guess. The project is now 1,4 TB and I only have around 500 GB disk space left)

Hans, your suggestion was not working either :-(

Any other idea what else I can try?

Return to posts index

Hans Sieber
on Nov 13, 2011 at 7:10:03 pm

I don`t think Avid will ever recognize your files without the .mov extention. What nature are these clips? How were they created? Captured, transcoded...? If you add the file extention you should be able to get them linked via AMA. If not try the "oldfashioned" way of importing some clips and then try the relink the way I explained in my last post. Make sure to uncheck "relink to media from the current project". Keep us informed.

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 7:49:32 pm

Guess you are right, Hans. I wonder why I can´t change it and add the suffix in the finder....

The material was shot on various cameras, but mainly on the Arri Alexa. I was told that someone has already separated the material in shooting days and delivered it with sound in Folders called DT01_Muster. Inside a folder named picture and one named sound. In the folder named picture There´s FCP clips named 70_13_01 (scene etc) and also a lot of files named A101C001_110716_R3AJ etc. (these are the ones lacking the .mov. Clip-Information in FCP says it´s a 25fps 1920 x 1080 Apple ProRes 422 (lt) with square pixel. Also Timecode dodec
The ones in the folder ProRes 444 also exist in this Format, but I linked the ones with the mov Ending !!

I have just imported a few clips into the Avid the old fashion way and no guess what... They don´t relink either :-( Coul be the fact though that by mistake I imported as DNxHD 60 (HD720p).
Have to repeat this one...

Return to posts index

Hans Sieber
on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:33:56 pm

The files with the A0001... file names are the original Alexa files. Are they located within a separate folder named the same way as the files are? And is a xml document in that folder? This would be the normal folder structure you receive from an Alexa shoot on SxS cards. The files should have the .mov extention. But as you describe it, someone seems to have messed around with them. Did you try to put a Tape Name into the clips cut into the sequence and the original either imported or AMA linked files?

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:51:32 pm

Only the Material still in ProRes444 has this folder structure and a fcp.xml file. That´s the only one with the .mov extension (but I have not managed to relink that nevertheless)

The material in ProRes422 organized via Shooting days has only the subfolders picture and sound and a fcp file . (the picture folder has all the files A104C014... without .mov and there´s no xml file)

Haven´t ried the tape name thingy as I don´t know how to do that (?)

I really appreciate your help, Hans. I´m pretty desperate by now. I´m trying to figure this out for 3 full days now :(

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:43:34 pm

P.S: Renamed the 422 files with automator. Now they have the .mov ending MC finds them an they are found and online ! I still don´t get them relinked to the sequence though !! Guess thats due to the arri names versus Clip names but have no idea why MC doesn´t recognize them as source.

Return to posts index

Hans Sieber
on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:45:57 pm

OK as I`m not in front of my Avid right now, I`ll try to navigate you through the modify game with my limited amount of "softwired" memory...:)
I would try it for one clip first though. Choose one clip in your sequence; match frame; find bin. Then check if there´s a tape name given for this clips. Try to find the "original" clip in your folder structure and link it via AMA or import it. Now you have the "online" clip and its corresponding "offline" clip associated to your sequence. Now do the following: "Offline" Clip right click in bin;modify;set Source: Now you give the clip a tape name. It should be the same as the source column in your "Online" clip. E.g. if your Online clip has as a source name "A0001.." copy this and paste it in the tape name column of your offline clip. Then try to relink. Maybe this does the trick.
Apart from that. Have you tried to "relink to selected online items" as I proposed in my former post? Hav you tried to batch import the sequence?
Keep us informed.

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:48:03 pm

yeah, tried to tried to "relink to selected online items" .

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:04:53 pm

Not sure, if I get this, Hans.
When I match frame one of my off-line clip from the sequence and look for the bin it´s in the bin with the automatic duck sequence...... Via get Info I get the source file... I detect it... try to relink it... Looksd like it does, but it´s still ofl line.

Return to posts index

Hans Sieber
on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:18:09 pm

If you match frame the sequence you end up with the now "offline" clip in your automatic duck sequence. I don`t understand what you did next: "Via get Info I get the source file.. I detect it... What does this mean? If your clip is media offline you shouldn`t be able to use the "reveal file" function if thats what you did. Or did you navigate to the existing .mov file in your folders?
Once you have chosen a media offline clip in you sequnce try to find the corresponding Alexa original clip in your folder structure on your drives. Import this clip into your avid. Now try to relink the media offline clip.

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:30:09 pm

Just trying the batch import. MC fiound about half of the files to batch.. But so far they are all sound files.... not one pic files

What I did was what you have guess.... I check for source file... looked for it via finder and when I knew name and where I relinked to this file. Didn´t do anything though. When I go via modify it tells me I will use all references when changing the tape... hm...

Return to posts index

Hans Sieber
on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:49:41 pm

OK I think I get it now. You can`t relink to a .mov file directly if thats what you tried to do. Avid does its relinking normally by comparing tape name and TC. In your case you have to give your media offline clip this information. The warning from Avid about loosing all refernces is correct. IF you had online files you would change the necessary information of tape name to either batch import or batch digitize the material in case of loosing the media files. In your case you are already offline! So there´s nothing to loose. Just try it. Choose the clip. Do a straight import of the corresponding original clip. Modify the Tape name that it is the same for both files and then try to relink the way I explained in my former posts.

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:58:39 pm

Would it make sense to change something in the FCP project settings before I export via Automatic duck?

Could it be, that my AMA plug ins are too new???

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 11:40:43 pm

I mean even if this renaming would work.... I can´t rename all these clips. That´s just mad and would take me forever. There must be another solution. It looks so easy in this video
http://watchlaterapp.com/EwS

I somehow wonder if I should export the project differently from final cut pro?

Also I wonder if having the latest AMA plug ins (I have only just downloaded MC 5.5 and then of course the latest AMA Plug ins....)

I´m almost there with now having the reference clips at least online now they are renamed with .mov

I bet it something stupid in my settings....
I have to call it a day now though. Have spent another 10 hours on this today.
Need to try again tmr.

Night night and thank you!!

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:53:43 pm

Batch import completed. All the sound is there... no picture :(

Had a look in the Konsole: There it says " xraise Exception: PCREG_UNKNOWN_CLASSID, Class ID:1112961908 and then several times "Clip format could not be determined

Also tried to import the source file and relink a single clip.... not working... pheeew

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:52:10 pm

Ok then... I have given up.
some one else has to find a solution

Thank anyway, guys!!!

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:40:26 pm

I see you have given up, and I don't blame you. For what it's worth I will share our 1 Automatic Duck experience.

We transferred a sequence and the media from FCP 6 to a Windows based AVID. WE discovered in the process that we had to manually move the AVID Media files that Automatic Duck created into the appropriate AVID Media Files folders. Automatic Duck created the AVID master clips and formatted the media into the appropriate AVID media files reference bye the master clips.

It has been a long time, but I think we imported the sequence into AVID, closed AVID and then manually copied the media. This meant the the video files had to be copied into the "//yourdriveVolume/AVID MediFiles/MXF/1" folder. If I remember correctly, the audio was AIFF audio indicated with a .aif extension. These files we had to manually copy into the "//yourDriveVolume/OMFI Mediafiles" folder. When we started the AVDI back up, it rebuilet the media databases and all the media was online.

That was using Automatic Duck to reformat the media to be AVID media.

Don't know if that will help, or if you will even bother, but I just saw the thread....

If it helps, great, if not, sorry I was a little late on seeing this.

Cheers,

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 14, 2011 at 8:06:52 pm

Hi Ben!

thanks ever so much... that´s actually something new! I will definately bear that in mind and try it, if I ever have this problem again (which I hope I will NOT)
Basically now someone else tries to transfer the project from FCP to MC and hopefully the material comes back to me soon as I need it :)

I have spent 3 days trying various suggestions and was getting just nowhere... ah, well
But I must admit: it really bugs me I couldn´t sort this out :-)

Cheers, Almut

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:55:31 am

I share your frustration but you may be surprised that the problem is with AVID - not you.

Came across a tiny note in he upgrade notes to MC 5.5.3 which says something to the effect: "Fixes problem where AVID MC 5.5.2 didn't recognize or relink Automatic Duck AMA Files."

WTF??? I think - so I try again - and low and behold my formally unconnected sequence suddenly works with MC 5.5.3 - so first try that.

But here's something else I did.

AVID doesn't seem to like XDCAM HD via AMA and Auto Duck - just can't get the reconnect.

So I tried transcoding the sequence to AVID's native quicklime DNxHD in FCP before doing the auto duck

And it all came in perfectly

so that may be another option.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Almut Getto
on Nov 17, 2011 at 12:08:50 pm

Thanks, Andy, I actually used 5.3.3, but actually transcoding in FCP sounds an interesting solution !!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]