FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice for a Final Cut Pro refugee

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
Advice for a Final Cut Pro refugee
on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:01:01 am

I work at a community college where we have been teaching Final Cut Pro to students as part of a multimedia program to train students to edit video for the web, mobile devices, documentaries and movies.

With the direction Apple has gone in with FCPX I want to look at Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer. I have worked with Premiere in the past, though I know absolutely nothing about Avid Media Composer.

1. We currently work with Macs; are there any issues with the latest release of Avid Media Composer and Macs?

2. Are there any special hardware requirements for using Avid Media Composer on a Mac besides minimum technical requirements? Can it be purchased and installed on a Mac just like Final Cut Pro?

3. Anyone have any experience with Final Cut Pro 6 or 7? How similar are the tools and techniques?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Advice for a Final Cut Pro refugee
on Nov 8, 2011 at 1:25:59 am

[stan welks] "1. We currently work with Macs; are there any issues with the latest release of Avid Media Composer and Macs?"

None. I beta tested the latest version on a Mac. Avid is committed to the Mac as much as it is committed to the PC.

[stan welks] "2. Are there any special hardware requirements for using Avid Media Composer on a Mac besides minimum technical requirements?"

It would be good to have an NVidia graphics card...but it isn't required. The app is software based, so you do not need any special Avid hardware in order to run it. I use it on my laptop all the time. HOWEVER...the latest version (MC6.0) does work with third party capture cards...AJA, BlackMagic Design, Matrox, Motu, BlueFish. So if you have any of those...they'll work.

[stan welks] "Can it be purchased and installed on a Mac just like Final Cut Pro?"

Yup...exactly like FCP. Works with or without hardware.

[stan welks] "3. Anyone have any experience with Final Cut Pro 6 or 7?"

Yes, I am well versed with FCP (been using it since FCP 2), and I have been using Avid for going on 15 years now.

[stan welks] "How similar are the tools and techniques?"

The basics are there, but there are many many differences. It would be a far smoother transition to go from FCP to Premiere...they are VERY similar in how they function in basic editing. Avid has a few core differences that make working on the timeline a pretty different thing.

Might want to check out this: http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do?product=306942336367888

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

stan welks
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:32:07 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the great reply and for the training DVD link!

1. Is there a higher end version of Avid Media Composer OR is this the same one that would also be installed on higher end editing workstations?

2. Are there any reasons to go with Premiere instead of Avid Media Composer other than an easier transition from FCP to Premiere and presumably a lower price?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:46:36 am

[stan welks] "1. Is there a higher end version of Avid Media Composer"

Yes. Symphony and Symphony DS. But the Media Composer version you get is the same that I am using now to cut Deadliest Catch, that I some feature film editor is using to cut THE AVENGERS.

[stan welks] "OR is this the same one that would also be installed on higher end editing workstations?"

Same...

[stan welks] "2. Are there any reasons to go with Premiere instead of Avid Media Composer other than an easier transition from FCP to Premiere and presumably a lower price? "

Yes. Right tool for the right job. There are many things that are better suited to be edited with Premiere, some that are better to be edited with Avid.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Nov 9, 2011 at 1:54:07 pm

I've just completed 8 weeks cutting a broadcast doc on Avid after having not touched it for nigh on 5 years. I have to say that the transition, whist not without issues, was a lot less painful than expected. My problems were as much about muscle memory and the whole PC/Mac thing (I use Macs, the Beeb use PCs) than anything else - though this was a doc with little effects work, and that would have stymied me far more. The Smart tool (though hated by some) goes a long way to making the timeline almost as malleable as it is in FCP, and that is one of the things I love about FCP.

With the introduction of FCPX I'm likely to move towards Avid again, though I'll keep running FCP alongside as it will be fine for my work for a good few years yet. In your situation, I don't think you'll have problems with either MC5.5/6 or Premiere - but MC may be better prep for the outside world. Though who knows where we'll be in 3 or 4 years' time. Cutting on iPads?

Jason

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Nov 9, 2011 at 4:57:36 pm

[Jason Porthouse] "Though who knows where we'll be in 3 or 4 years' time. Cutting on iPads?"

Maybe, but the issue for me has always been that I want a way of inputting my intentions faster and with more subtlety and control than current, and current for me is either a mouse or a wacom pen in my right hand and my left hand tapping keyboard shortcuts.

TBH, it wasn't that big a deal transferring from Avid to FCP and going back to Avid has been pretty painless.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]