FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere CS5.5 to AVID 5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim van Dammen
Premiere CS5.5 to AVID 5
on Nov 6, 2011 at 10:59:52 pm

Hey,

I can't find the answer to this question anywhere so any help would be appreciated.

I've been given a project cut in premiere CS5.5, it has been cut using the orignal R3D files.

I need to get it across into AVID for me to continue work on it but when I export an AAF or EDL or an XML the R3D file names get truncated and will not relink in either AVID or final cut.

Is there a way to export the EDL, XML or AAF so that the file names are not truncated and the media will link properly in AVID?

Cheers
Tim van Dammen

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Premiere CS5.5 to AVID 5
on Nov 7, 2011 at 1:47:44 am

Export an AAF, use AMA to reconnect the R3D files? I haven't tried that, but it could/should work. If you try that and it doesn't work (Using MC5 or later?) I'll build something just to test it.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Tim van Dammen
on Nov 7, 2011 at 1:50:39 am

Thanks Jeff. I gave AMA a go but I couldn't seem to get it to work - it might be that I'm too green with AMA to know how to do it. If it works for you let me know - it will save my day as I don't want to have to manually replace 1500 shots on timeline... eek!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:12:51 am

I played around for the last 20 min or so - couldn't get it to work; doesn't mean that it doesn't, just that i need to dig up some notes. I quickly did 3-4 clips + ama over in avid. I know you have to pick legacy AAF format...

If I get a break tomorrow, I'll look again. Just try to get one clip to go over (and maybe start in Avid and test to Premiere Pro and back - not for your project, but to understand the workflow.)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Tim van Dammen
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:14:46 am

Cheers Jeff, good idea. I'll get onto that now and let you know if I can get it going.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Nov 7, 2011 at 5:03:31 pm

Do Automatic Duck's products help at all? They're free now on their site. Just throwing it out there on the possibility that it'll help. Also Boris FX has their Transfer utility which claims to enable roundtripping. Haven't played with it, but would also be interested in hearing results.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mike Barber
on Nov 7, 2011 at 6:51:35 pm

I'm having problems going from PPro5.5 to Avid MC5 as well. :-/

Our cameras are Sony XDCAM EX3 (shooting XDCAM EX). Some of our remote producer/editors are cutting in either Premiere Pro CS5.5 or FCP7. We're starting to package these little piece into a longer magazine-type formate which I am finishing in Avid MC5.

I'm testing the workflow and am hitting a wall... this is my workflow so far:

Working in PPro5.5, the media is straight from the XDCAM EX BPAV folders (copied from the SxS cards to local RAID). I cut a short sequence with 8 mono audio tracks (clip audio, VO, wild BG audio, music) and then export AAF from PPro (tried with and without "Legacy" option enabled, results appear same).

Due to working with XDCAM in its native formate in PPro, before going to Avid I have been adding the step of going in to Sony XDCAM EX ClipBrowser and exporting the clips to generic MXFs for relinking/importing in the next step...

In Avid MC 5.5.3, I import the AAF and then batch import the MXF clips (as an aside, YTF does Avid make me select every single clip source individually... they're all in the same folder! this is dumb). Here's where things get wonkey...

The video is fine, even with more than one video track. The audio is a bloody mess! Here's how audio is organized on my timeline:

A1&A2 = clip audio corresponding to V1
A3&A4 = clip audio corresponding to V2
A5 = VO
A6 = BG sound
A7&A8 = music

The only audio that seems to reconnect is A1. A2 remains offline for some reason. The rest don't appear offline, but their respective clipnames on the timeline text are empty, just the duration (if I enable Clip Text > Media File Names, I get "n/a").

If I try to play the sequence, I get this error:

Exception: Sequence refers to non-existent track in clip.
Please turn off monitoring and re-edit references to the following clip.
You may then re-enable monitoring.
, clip: (name of file on A7&A8), missingTrack:A256

I have no idea what any of that means or how to move forward. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jonno Woodford-Robsinon
on Dec 18, 2011 at 10:14:38 am

Hi Chris and Jeff,

I'm working with Tim and have discovered a workaround and thought I should post it in case it might be of interest, or help anyone else having similar issues.

It seems that Premiere truncates the reel/tape name to just A000_C000 and loses the UID part of the filename from the tape name, where as Avid does not. Even when telling Avid to 'use filenames' when re-linking, Avid still checks the tape name. There's also the issue of the _001 (and subsequent suffixes) generated by Premiere for shots over 2GB in size, which stops the 'use filenames' from working as the filenames will never match.

Here's what I did to 'work around' it

-export XML from Premiere (for FCP),

-open XML in textedit and search&replace "_001.R3d" with "" (NB, haven't tried just losing the "_001" only yet - will try that tomorrow) and do this again for _002, 003 etc (not many shots go past _005 so it's not too much manual labour), save the XML,

-import XML into FCP,

-export with AutomaticDuck as AAF for Avid,

-import AAF into avid,

-import the REDCINE-X ALE in Avid,

-relink ALE to MXF files,

-change the tape name of ALL masterclips (from both AAF and ALE) to just one tape number (for safety, I do it by RED reels),

-re-link the imported AAF to the ALE clips and it all works.

Hope this is of some use.

cheers

Jonno

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]