FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble Importing MXF file into Media Composer

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Popik
Trouble Importing MXF file into Media Composer
on Nov 5, 2011 at 5:40:27 am

Hey all,

Truth be told, I'm a Final Cut editor, but recently I had to manually convert one of my projects to Avid to prepare it for a colorist (annoyingly, I did this two weeks before Automatic Duck became free).

Anyway, now the colorist has sent me back my graded project on a drive, and has sent me two files: a .avb file, and an .mxf file. I can get the bin open in Media Composer, but the mixdown in the bin appears as offline, and refuses to reconnect. When I try the "Link to AMA file" on the mxf file, I get the message "Unable to link to file or volume. You may need to download and install the AMA plugin." I've already installed the AMA plugin and imported other files using that interface, so I don't think that's the problem.

What am I missing? I am in no way fluid in Avid, so it's quite possible I'm mishandling the importing of these files (which I'm only trying to import so I can transcode them back to ProRes so I can get back to Final Cut!).

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Trouble Importing MXF file into Media Composer
on Nov 5, 2011 at 7:36:44 am

Close out of Avid and copy the MXF file in your Avid Media Files \ MXF \ 1 folder. Then, delete the pmr and mdb files in that folder. Those are your Avid database folders.

When you start Avid back up, it will rebuild the database files, and it will take note of the new MXF file. Open the AVB bin and then relink to it.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Ben Popik
Re: Trouble Importing MXF file into Media Composer
on Nov 5, 2011 at 9:42:40 pm

Thank you Richard!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]