FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC6 new features... favorites? disappointments? predictions?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hector berrebi
MC6 new features... favorites? disappointments? predictions?
on Nov 4, 2011 at 3:17:37 pm

ok... most of us haven't used it yet

we can still praise or knock the new features :)

i think the new DNX (4:4:4 flavor) is amazing news. a long waited addition to the DNX family and if its as predicted (2:1 ratio...) then ProRes 4x4 (suddenly apples need to add a fourth "4" seems silly, DNX always supported alpha and Avid never made a big deal out of it) is in for tough competition...
i wonder if like ProRes it will support a 12 bit color depth... (though 10 bit is far enough for most uses)

and i wonder how fast ARRI ALEXA will offer this option

also happy about AVCHD support in AMA. we're getting more and more projects shot on that format and transcoding it is a hassle. and as a teacher it will be nice to finally tell my students that the format they use most is fully supported.

I/O freedom was expected... but is still very exciting. intensity and decklink cards run for 200-300$.
being able to monitor video and audio from avid in these price ranges is like post production sci-fi ...

that's without mentioning 64 bits...

lol... with the free auto-duck tools released recently, there's a Christmas morning feel to it all :)

on the other hand... i believe MC6 will still have resolution as a project setting, not a sequence setting. which for me, was always a weak spot. (not being able to see 1080 clips on an SD timeline as 1080 clips reduced to 40%, and not being able to scale them back to 100% in the SD boundaries, maintaining original quality etc')

also wonder if AMA got more stability, and lost a few sticky bugs it had...

all in all... this seems like a great upgrade for Avid editors,
and with recent less favorable upgrades of other editing apps...

just feels like saying

:) thanks avid

add your thought...

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: MC6 new features... favorites? disappointments? predictions?
on Nov 4, 2011 at 3:34:38 pm

Smart tool, 3D capability, and the now vast file format choices and the way late open IO capabilities are what I find digable.
Lets hope one can rotate some text in the DVE without the ailiasing from 1995. lol

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 4, 2011 at 4:28:46 pm

Well first off, here's my review of MC6 (shameless plug):

http://lfhd.net/2011/11/03/the-more-open-avid-media-composer-6-0/

[Hector berrebi] "i believe MC6 will still have resolution as a project setting, not a sequence setting."

True...settings are still project based.

[Hector berrebi] "also wonder if AMA got more stability, and lost a few sticky bugs it had... "

AMA is a LOT more stable. Works great with many formats...improved performance with a lot. But not DSLR. H.264 is just a bear of a codec. Get out of it when you can.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Nov 4, 2011 at 4:44:32 pm

[Shane Ross] "AMA is a LOT more stable. Works great with many formats...improved performance with a lot. But not DSLR. H.264 is just a bear of a codec. Get out of it when you can.
"

damn DSLR codec...
i always tell my students when they complain against Avid, to first blame their expectations that working with a cheap video-like camera would be a smooth ride, second blame Canon for choosing such a lousy implementation of the codec, and last blame avid... or any software for not doing enough..

and yet... disappointing to hear that the new version with 64 bit support still chokes on 264...

BTW... really good review Shane :)

thanks

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 4, 2011 at 4:48:11 pm

If the students want to shoot with DSLR video, and MUST work native, then use Adobe Premiere Pro...on a beefy machine with a BEEFY Nvidia card that will enable CUDA. Because it's smooth on PPRo CS 5.5...and mainly because of 64 bit and that Mercury Engine enabled by CUDA. It takes A LOT to get native H.264 editing possible.

Just tell them NOT to edit that format native. I think people are getting spoiled with "native" editing anyway...

Shane

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:10:15 pm

[Shane Ross] ", then use Adobe Premiere Pro"

:) kind of hard, they're Avid students in an Avid course

instead they learn the good old values of transcoding, and working with a unifying codec like DNX.

if only Avid found their way to mercury-engine-up stuff

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 4, 2011 at 4:55:54 pm

[Shane Ross] "Well first off, here's my review of MC6 (shameless plug):

http://lfhd.net/2011/11/03/the-more-open-avid-media-composer-6-0/

["

Good review! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:04:10 pm

Wow, AVID is just now getting the ability to use tabs? That seems rather ridiculous. I dunno, nothing really jumps out at me and says, "THIS is why you should choose Avid over Premiere or FCPX." I feel like all the updates were expected based on technological advances and there's very little innovation – maybe they were too scared from the FCPX debacle to really try something new.

I'm still a FCP 7 user wondering where to go next. Based on the content that I cut (web videos, 3-5 minutes) AVID just doesn't seem like it would be as fast as the competition for me. This makes since, AVID wants to hold onto the broadcast market so they pour their time and resources into what they need, however, this leaves very little time for them to work on things that I need. The catch-22 is, I don't want to be cutting web videos forever and unfortunately, every large company here in LA uses AVID so I feel like I have to learn it.

I remember when going from AVID to Final Cut I initially hated Final Cut, but after about 3 weeks I couldn't sit at an AVID station without thinking, "This feels klunky and old... why does it take me 3 more steps to do things that take 1 in FCP?" I certainly hope if I go back to AVID I don't feel like I'm stepping back in time. I hope it's awesome, I just can't get excited about it...

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:44:29 pm

Regardless of whether it feels like your going back in time, there's no doubt about it, jumping between the two systems will usually come with some adjustment.

My recommendation, since you mentioned you don't want to cut web videos forever, buy it, learn it, accept it. I started my career in Final Cut and when FCPx came out, I immediately started getting my chops back up in Avid. In some cases I agree with you, that things some clunky if Avid, and some things Avid has always done a far better job than FCP. Likewise, in my case I hate FCPx and haven't devoted a ton of time to learning it. The fact of the matter is, I can hate it all I want but if industry trends start to favor it, then it will be worth learning. As it currently stands, Avid is unavoidable in the post world and very worth learning.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Justin Barham
on Nov 5, 2011 at 12:39:18 am

Dustin,

Watching Avid trying to sell tabbed bins and 3rd party hardware support as new in 2011 is definitely awkward at best. And one can't help but read fear into what is likely the most timid UI upgrade in the history of software design. No I don't want FCP X, but I'm not aiming to cut episodes of Seinfeld either. :)

However, having switched from FCP myself, I can say Avid was clearly the right choice for me. Unfortunately for them, the features that make it so much better to use are really hard to sell. Little things like stability with long sequences and big projects, rock solid multicam and media management, fluid trimming, etc.

Ultimately, choosing between Avid and Premiere comes down to where you want to work in the future. Bite the bullet and learn whatever it is that they use. I know it's a cliché, but it's just a tool.

- Justin Barham -

Return to posts index

Justin Barham
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:35:13 am

I feel I should retract my initial criticisms of the new MC UI. Having played with it for a bit now, I'm pretty happy. They made some real usability improvements that weren't apparent to me from the pics and videos.

All things considered, I think Avid did a pretty excellent job on this release. I look forward for the dust to settle so I can try it out on my workstation.

- Justin Barham -

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 5, 2011 at 10:27:55 pm

[Dustin Parsons] "I'm still a FCP 7 user wondering where to go next. Based on the content that I cut (web videos, 3-5 minutes) AVID just doesn't seem like it would be as fast as the competition for me."

Then don't use Avid...use Premiere. I'm switching to Premiere for most, if not all of my non-broadcast work. I like the speed in which I can access the footage, and the ability to work native is great. Their current integration with third party capture cards isn't rock solid, so I cannot use it for broadcast monitoring really. But for web videos, sizzle reels, casting videos...Premiere is great.

[Dustin Parsons] "The catch-22 is, I don't want to be cutting web videos forever and unfortunately, every large company here in LA uses AVID so I feel like I have to learn it.
"

Learn both. Always good to know multiple edit systems. I know FCP and Avid, and now a bit about Adobe. Knowing all of these makes me very employable. Means I can use the best tool for the job, and am not limiting myself as an "Avid editor," or "FCP editor," or "Premiere editor."

Shane

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 5, 2011 at 9:15:04 am

Again, AFAIK RGB 444 is uncompressed, not 2:1.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 5, 2011 at 5:12:28 pm

OK, I'm probably confusing the existing RGB 444 Uncompressed 10bit and the new DNxHD 444. Sorry.

Return to posts index

George Bellias
on Nov 5, 2011 at 5:15:06 pm

I am very excited about the new features. My only disappointment is that the multicam view is still limited to 9 cameras (I assume it is still 9 since multicam was not mentioned anywhere in the improvements). At this point, this is the only drawback I see as I plan to switch back to Avid from FCP. I realize for most people this is not an issue, but for those of us who do a lot of multicam editorial, the ability to see up to 16 cameras at once is something you just get use to. I have only needed all 16 a couple of times but 10 to 12 is becoming more frequent. Especially for shows that are shot using 5 or 6 cameras but are shot over 2 performances.

Anyway, I am impressed with MC6. I was an Avid editor for many years but have been off of it for a while. I am researching the various tutorials on migrating back to Avid from FCP and there seems to be many to pick from. If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it.

George Bellias
Jade Productions
http://www.jadeproductionsla.com

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Nov 5, 2011 at 8:03:10 pm

There's a great DVD available from the Avid store called "Media Composer for FCP Users" I watched it to migrate over, and it's been great.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Nov 5, 2011 at 8:08:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Richard. You're right about just having to bite the bullet and just move over to AVID. I have to make the jump sooner or later and that training series seems like it would definitely ease the transition.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:37:50 am

Is the AVID UI still aliaised or have they finally updated to an anti-aliaised, year 2000, look? It seems from a few screen-shots a lot to the lists still feel like I'm sitting on a Mac from 1996 a la OS9.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 8, 2011 at 9:49:16 am

AVID can do a lot of things but they seriously can't deal with streaming media / files on the web. Those look horrible sadly and you can judge anything from them.

Another link you put up showed the dreaded truth though.

http://provideocoalition.com/images/uploads/MC6-tabbed-bin.png

Odd a program from 2011 still looks like that.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:54:43 pm

If how an NLE interface looks is that big of a deal for you...prevents you from accomplishing your tasks...then perhaps you should move to FCX. It has a very sleek interface. Very futuristic. Sure, it cannot capture from tape, output an EDL, work on a SAN system in a collaborative environment, interface with capture cards...and a host of other things. But hey, it looks slick and cool...

Shane

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:03:19 pm

I'm just saying it's very odd "the best editor on the planet" doesn't do what's the norm for the past 10-12 years in UI-design does. I'm not talking about futuristic stuff, just normal, preferably not ugly, UI's. It creates a more pleasant environment to work in. And yes, I'm probably one of the more picky users when it comes to UI's. FCPX I can speak about how effective it is - it does come to a crawl the times I've tested it which it's very promising.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:24:12 am

one thing i'm thinking about is exporting videos with an Alpha channel.

?

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Nov 8, 2011 at 11:59:07 pm

[Jacob Lanum] "one thing i'm thinking about is exporting videos with an Alpha channel."

avid's DNXHD codec family supports alpha channels

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Nov 9, 2011 at 12:33:27 am

I know the "codec" supports alpha, but have you tried exporting video with transparencies out of avid?

I couldn't get it to work in the past.

Return to posts index

sushil sharma
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:11:56 am

still limited to HD resolutions. not even a single word for 2K or 4K. OK monitoring can be HD but 'K's are needed for file based workflows like as in resolve .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]