FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer 6 and the 15 year list of lingering questions ...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lou Borella
Media Composer 6 and the 15 year list of lingering questions ...
on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:18:25 pm

I'm sure the same questions I've been asking AVID for the last 15 years still apply:

Will my settings work? Or do I have to start from scratch and rebuild?
Can I import still images and retain the dimensions yet?
Do I still have to constantly select tracks to add and manipulate audio keyframes?
Does dupe detection work across multiple video tracks yet?
Can I load precomputes into the source monitor yet?
Do I still have to treat filler like a clip?
Is the audio waveform useable yet?
Will Quicktime movies that are in a timeline automatically update if they are changed by another program or do I have to reimport or relink?
Is there a freeze frame dialogue box or do I still have to use the pulldown menu to change settings?
Can anyone tell me the difference between the six different Timewarp types?
Is 3d warp anti-aliased yet?
Can I do a soft dropshadow without buying a plugin?
Can I link stereo audio tracks yet?
Does the Media Creation settings box work yet?
Does the Relink command work? (has it ever worked?)
Can I trim a clip into a dissolve icon?

Has AVID addressed ANY of these issues?
I've only been asking these questions for 15 years.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Media Composer 6 and the 15 year list of lingering questions ...
on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:35:48 pm

1. Your settings have always worked, but it's best to rebuild them from time to time. Easy to import certain settings from one profile into another.

2. Importing still images at the right aspect ration has been possible for some time now.

3. Not sure, as I don't use them other than through a fader panel.

4. Dupe detection will work across multiple video tracks.

5. Precomputes won't load into the source monitor, AFAIK.

6. Not sure what you mean by having to treat filler as a clip. Moving clips through the timeline lets you keep fades to the clip, though (since v5 or so).

7. I don't use audio waveforms that much, but I know it has been severely improved.

8. AMA will let you work with QT files, which means that if you alter them, they would show up in changed form.

9. To freeze a frame, you have long been able to add a 0% TimeWarp. Other than that, it's easy to map the Freeze Frame menu function to a button or keyboard key.

10. The TimeWarp types are easily distinguished. Duplicated frame will discard one field per frame. Both frames will keep both fields. Blended Interpolated will blend both source fields. Blended VTR will mimic how a VTR timebase corrector shifts fields to defeat vertical shifting. FluidMotion will 'morph' in-between-fields/frames, basically a vector-based morph.

11. Not sure about 3D effects, don't think they're too good. Third party plugins provide better options.

12. Soft drop shadows in the title tool have long been available. Not in 3D Warp, but in third party plugins.

13. You won't need to, there are stereo (and even 5.1 and 7.1) tracks now.

14. Media Creation settings have been good to me for some time now.

15. Relink works very well. Even with AMA sources. Very versatile.

16. Yes you can trim a clip into a dissolve.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 4, 2011 at 1:04:10 am

Also, a fully functional free 30-day trial version will be available, so you can check these things for yourself if you like.

Return to posts index

Eduardo Serrano
on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:00:32 pm

Will my settings work? Or do I have to start from scratch and rebuild?
The good thing about MC6 is that they will be XML so you won't have any problems with them anymore because they are future-proof. And developers can actually dig into it to do some crazy stuff.
Can I link stereo audio tracks yet?
You can add stereo tracks since version 5. And you can use the modify clip tool to change them to a linked stereo pair since v5 as well.

E.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]