FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Audio Start-Time Option Dialogue won't appear

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Flammang
The Audio Start-Time Option Dialogue won't appear
on Nov 2, 2011 at 8:13:30 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am working as assistant-editor on a feature film.
Working Equipment:
Mac Pro 2011 2x2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon.
Avid Media Composer 5.5.2

Sound is recorded with a Cantar Sound Recorder. Sound Files are .wav.

Project Settings: 1080p/24 1920x1080

Audio File Format for import: OMF

I have the following issue:

When I import the sound files into Avid Media Composer 5.5.2, I don't get the pop-up dialogue that says there is a start time and asks how you want the start time imported. The dialogue is called Audio Start-Time Options.

Normally I would then select 24 according to my project and MC would import the sound files with the right Start TC. And with the name of the take in the name column.
This worked fine with Media Composer 5.0.3.7.

But with version MC 5.5.2, when I select import. It imports the files without recognizing a Start TC, and the files keep the name that the cantar recorder has given them, instead of the name of the take.
As a result I have no timecode on the audo clips, all the clips then start with 01:00:00:00.

What I found out was that when I delete the referenced media and then do a batch import,then the dialogue pops up. I then select 24, but it doesn't change the Tc or the name after the import.

I searched the interface to see if there is a setting to switch the dialogue on or off. I didn't find anything.

Does anyone else had this issue? Is it a bug with MC 5.5.2? Or am I doing something wrong?

I also updated to MC 5.5.3 and I had the same result.

For all my tests I used the same audio files and they worked with MC 5.0.3.7. So it can't be the files.

I looking forward for any feedback that I can get.

Kind regards

I'm from Europe. English is not my mother tongue,so please look past any language mistake.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: The Audio Start-Time Option Dialogue won't appear
on Nov 3, 2011 at 1:53:07 pm

That usually means that MC is not recognizing the file as BWF and is using QuickTime to bring the file into the system (the same reason you don't want to use AMA for BWF files...). Can you open these files in a program like Sound Devices Wave Agent (free for Mac and PC) and see that all the metadata is properly recorded? Aaton also has an application that can look into the files I believe, AJAX?

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Steve Flammang
Re: The Audio Start-Time Option Dialogue won't appear
on Nov 8, 2011 at 2:45:19 pm

Thank you for your quick reply Michael.

I am using Majax from Aaton for this project. I looked at the iXML and the metadata all seems fine.I'm pretty shure of this because the sound files work with the version MC 5.0.3.7.
You are right that MC 5.5.2 doesn't recognize the BWF-files. When I import the files it says in the dialogue with the progression bar something like, 'Importing file from QT..'.
I use the'import' function not the 'link to ama' for the sound files.

So I think that either the system I am working on is missing some codec or plugin that helps MC to recognize the BWF or the copy of MC is not working properly and I should talk to Avid about it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]