FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX workflow for AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Caspersen
XDCAM EX workflow for AVID
on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:18:29 am

Hi, i´m starting working as a post production coordinator at a small TV company. They have asked me to do some research on EX workflow for AVID.
We´ll be working with lots of material: two tv-series and one documentary for the broadcasting channel of Norway.

Since i´m brand new with AVID I need some help:
I´m wondering if there is anyone out there doing the same as we are doing now, and have any worklflow suggestions, and/or hints and tips

We´ll be working on one MacPro 2xQUAD 2.26GHz/6GB/640GB/nVIDIA and
two Imacs 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB All of them with AVID media composer 5.0

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: XDCAM EX workflow for AVID
on Jun 30, 2010 at 2:24:10 pm

You'll find a workflow guide on http://www.avid.com/xdcam.

Using MC3.5 or later, you'll be able to link to the native XDCAM clips using Avid Media Access (AMA). Quick and easy. Make sure you read up on the XDCAM-AMA guide.

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:59:03 pm

Personally, I would not use the AMA approach.

After nearly 400 XD discs ingested for a reality TV series, and after trying both ways, I would use the "Import XD Proxy" and batch re-capture method. But that's just my opinion. I find it to be quicker and more responsive when editing (especially when grouping clips or cutting with multiple streams).

Of course, YMMV.

Return to posts index

Perrone Ford
on Jul 1, 2010 at 5:36:47 am

I am VERY new to Avid, but having dabbled in MC4 and now working with MC5, I wouldn't use AMA for anything that didn't have a same-day turnaround. I am currently editing a short film which was shot XDCamEX. There's 17 days of dailies. I essentially ingested as XDCamEX. I will likely batch re-capture prior to grading. But for editing purposes, this is just fine. Multiple streams play VERY well on my desktop machine, and are more than adequate on my laptop as well. I am not using Mac hardware theough, so I don't know how that plays into the mix.

But I would be VERY nervous about using linked media for shows versus bringing that media into the Avid managed database.

Just my view.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jul 1, 2010 at 1:42:07 pm

I'm not suggesting AMA for editing, just for bringing it in.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jul 6, 2010 at 9:08:57 pm

I concur with JtB - AMA is amazingly easy to use to access the media. My usual workflow is two-step: AMA to access and have Avid create bins and import all the metadata, then select all and consolidate to high-speed storage to edit with. Every once in a while there's a hiccup in consolidation, so I've got to keep an eye on it, but if it ever argues, I just retry and it continues. Pretty easy and allows for a closer-to-old-school edit from a copy rather than the master approach. No need to relink to any higher resolutions as the XDCAM-EX material is read and edited with easily by Avid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]