FORUMS: list search recent posts

1. What is Avid After Effects EMP? 2. Is Mojo wimpy?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
B Russ
1. What is Avid After Effects EMP? 2. Is Mojo wimpy?
on Jul 8, 2005 at 4:32:55 am

Hi there. I'm a newbie - two questions. I edited a feature last year on the Adrenaline, then they took it away and left me a mojo (with Xpress Pro) as a gift. When I open the feature on the mojo -- all operations are sloooooow, pretty much untenable. Is this to be expected? Is the mojo too low-end for complex feature length work?

And my other question is about the Avid After Effects EMP. What is it? If I have after effects, does it help me? If so.... where would I get it?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeff Mullen
Re: 1. What is Avid After Effects EMP? 2. Is Mojo wimpy?
on Jul 8, 2005 at 4:01:54 pm

Hey!

First, with the mojo, what are the specs of the computer you are running it on? It shouldn't be too slow as long as you meet the minimum specifications.

Second, the Avid After Effects EMP is a plugin for Adobe After Effects allowing an External Monitor Preview (EMP) on a standard NTSC or PAL monitor.

Cheers!

-jeff

Return to posts index

B Russ
on Jul 8, 2005 at 6:40:40 pm

Hi there. Yup, it's a pretty fast machine, HP xw8000 duel at about 3.2 GHz and two GB Ram. Any thoughts? If I change modes, trim, edit, do anything (on the loaded 90 min feature, originally digitized something like 15:1 -- I'm not at my office, so all details are coming from memory right now) I'm left looking at an hourglass for a loooong time, many many seconds each time, makes working on it near impossible.

Regarding the EMP -- I'm a bit of a caveman, sorry and thanks for your patience. Does After Effects work with Avid? I'm confused about how the Avid plug-in works with AE. Regardless, what I am interested in is being able to preview on a video monitor when I'm working in AE.

Also, where does one get the EMP? Searches on both Avid and Adobe sites come up bunk.

Thanks for your response!

Return to posts index

Jeff Mullen
on Jul 9, 2005 at 4:42:39 pm

Hey!

The EMP plug-in for AE comes on the main Avid disk. So if you download the update or current version for your Avid Xpress Pro, and ran the install file, you would be able to install it from there.

With the EMP, it works with versions (I believe) 6 and lower because AE 6.5 has a default setting for previewing your comp on an NTSC/PAL monitor . (It's under Edit -> Preferences -> Video Preview) Then, just change your output device. The Avid EMP does something very similar, except instead of going to the Video Preview setting, its under Avid EMP or something. But I believe they do the same thing.

As far as AE and Avid working together, its a bit tricky. My workflow right now between the two goes like this:

1. I edit a sequence/clip in Avid.
2. Export it out of Avid as a Quicktime Reference file.
3. Import that into AE and do whatever on it.
4. Render it our of AE using the same settings as the sequence in Avid. My file output is a Quicktime with the Animation codec.
5. Then I import that into Avid.

It works pretty good right now, but I'm not sure if there is a better way.

Hope it helps!

Cheers!

-jeff mullen

Return to posts index

B Russ
on Jul 9, 2005 at 5:12:46 pm

You're fantastic, Jeff, thank you! I will try all that. Indeed, I have Express Pro 4.6 w/ Mojo, and AE 6. (I tried installing AE 6.5, but it crashes with my hardware config, and Adobe's update doesn't fix it.)

So, if I understand correctly, I should
1. Uninstall Xpress Pro
2. Install the EMP from the Avid disk
3. Reinstall Express Pro

Now... do I need to reinstall AE6 too, you think?

Thank you for everything.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mullen
on Jul 10, 2005 at 5:40:53 am

I don't think you will have to re-install Xpress Pro....if you download the setup file from the update section on Avid's site and run it, it should prompt you with a menu allowing you to select what application to install (from Xpress Pro to PlasmaWipes to Avid EMP). Just select the EMP plug-in. And I don't think you should have to re-install AE for the plug-in to work, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Cheers!

-jeff mullen

Return to posts index

B Russ
on Jul 12, 2005 at 5:44:48 pm

Ah ha, Jeff, thank you! And AE plays through the Mojo, best I could hope for. Cheers! - Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]