FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie going to NAB 2014

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micah Wolf
Newbie going to NAB 2014
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:46:09 pm

So I have read the post before about being the new guy at NAB and wearing comfy shoe's and drinking plenty of water, but my questions are more specific. As the title of the post states I plan on attending NAB this year. I am excited! I have wanted to go for the last 10 years but never had an opportunity; this year it is different.

I started working for a new company and they encourage all of us to attend one conference a year. So needless to say I choose NAB! Here is a little about me before I ask my questions. I have worked in video for the last ten years, I have both my BS in Digital Media and a MFA in FIlm and Digital Technology (I know degrees are just paper and its the content/skills that sets each person apart, not degrees). I try my hardest to stay up on the latest equipment trends and find solutions that work best for my needs. I work for a large hospital organization in its Public Relations department. The content I create ranges from internal communication video content for employees to filming surgical procedures. I do everything from preproduction thru post. So here are my questions:

What would your suggestion be about what Conference make sense to attend? I am leaning toward the Creative Master Series. Has anyone attended that in the past? Do you have any feed back?

I am also thinking of attending Post Production World. Is everyday the same or are there different speakers each day speaking on a range of content? Or do I choose a track like Adobe Premiere for a day then the next I go to Director of Photography Workshop?

Lastly and I know this ranges depending on who you are but, how many days do you attend? I have seen some people say 2-3 which just seems so short with how much there is to do.

As I write this all of the other questions I wanted to ask are eluding me, so for now this is all I've got.

Thanks,
Micah

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Newbie going to NAB 2014
on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:32:29 pm

Post production world is the thing I've found the most valuable. I'm in a similar situation, in-house, soup to nuts production. I've been to PPW for 2 years in a row and came back energized, more informed and inspired.

PPW is Ala carte. You go to whatever session whenever you want. There was usually always 1 or 2 sessions I wanted to attend. The value ($800 in 2012) is well worth what you would normally pay for training.

I'd spend everyday I can at PPW and go to the show floor for one full day. Show floor is cool, but unless you are actively trying to purchase new equipment, I don't find a ton of value spending much time there. Obviously, this is my opinion and others would probably disagree.

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
Re: Newbie going to NAB 2014
on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:55:44 am

Hi Micah,

Besides starting your day with a good breakfast, wear good walking shoes and bring your bottle of water, you must have a plan. You have to make a plan so get a floor plan, see what you want to see first and where their located, make your appointments if needed, and most of all have some fun. You'll have all the professionals under one roof, talk to them and ask questions. I have never been to the training sessions due to my time limitations, so I'm only at NAB for 2 long full days and back too Chicago. Good luck and have fun.

Ralph Hajik

Happy Travels
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]