FORUMS: list search recent posts

My First NAB! What should I know to make the most of it?!

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
My First NAB! What should I know to make the most of it?!
on Mar 8, 2011 at 5:04:05 pm

Hello friends,

I might be getting a free pass for NAB this year and I am curious what people might advise someone who has never been in terms of making the most out of it, scheduling each day and accommodations etc. I believe airfare and hotel / food will be my responsibility so in that I am on a super tight budget that would be my first question - any advice on where to stay and how to avoid dropping a ton of $$$ (i don't gamble or party heavily so that wont be a problem).

I guess my next question would be about schedule and planning one's time - i have briefly looked on the website for NAB and it seems like planning each day is critical to make the most out of this event.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated as I want to make the most of this if I get a pass.
cheers

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
Re: My First NAB! What should I know to make the most of it?!
on Mar 8, 2011 at 6:38:35 pm

Hi Sean,

You don't party much or gamble, that's to bad. No, I'm only kidding, LOL!:-)
I'm the same way. Search for a good rate at a hotel. Are you going to have a car for transportation? If not than try to stay at a hotel where you can either walk to the convention center or take a shuttle bus. The Greek Island Hotel is walking distance to NAB, but check the prices. There's parking across from that hotel where everyone parks when they have a car $5 or $10, can't remember. The Greek Island Hotel has free parking if you stay there. I have never stayed there so I can't tell you what it's like. Remember, you'll be at NAB all day long and plenty to see and do for a good 2-3 days just looking at the exhibits. If you take classes, that's another story. You'll get excellant information from all the Pro's. I stay off the strip and drive in. Check out the map and information on this link, copy & paste in your browser.
http://www.nabshow.com/2011/index.asp
Good Luck and enjoy NAB
Hope to see you there.

Happy Travels,
Ralph Hajik :-)

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:46:18 am

Wear Comfortable Shoes. Drink lots of water. I usually plan what & who I want to see each day as early as possible. Most exhibits have demos scheduled throughout the day so plan on extra time to see the demos you are most interested in. There are lots of after hours events as well. Many companies and user groups host them. Some have already been announced and others are announced as it gets closer to NAB. Many are FREE and others that do not involve dinner are very budget friendly.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:54:53 am

thank you for the responses thus far.

seems like the pass i got is just the very basic thing - $200 expo only? Not sure if a flight & hotel in vegas is worth walking around looking at gadgets only? what do you guys think - i am an editor and colorist and curious about all this but it seems like to really get in on stuff you need a more all access pas.
thanks
sean

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:03:28 pm

The Exhibits only pass are fairly easy to get for free. I think your right on when you say that just walking around and looking at gadgets, but I still do it, and every year I see something new and cool that our resellers don't know about.

But, I also talk to our vendors, and let them know I am coming, so I can get some more personal attention, and get private demos. This makes it worth it. Plus, I'm a big tech geek, so I just like to go and geek out. Oh, and I like to gamble, and I don't mind the free drinks. :)

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:08:39 pm

Many of the vendors that will be at NAB have FREE exhibits pass codes for EXHIBIT ONLY. Which means you can walk the floor till your hearts content. If you are an FCP editor the below after event is at minimal cost and usually great fun and a good place to see what others in the field are doing. There is also a free event code on the page for you to use. Remember you need to do your homework on what you want to see and take away with you at the event. My first year was OVERWHELMING.

http://www.lafcpug.org/events/supermeet_lv_2011.html

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:38:16 pm

Hi All,

If your looking for a free pass to the exhibits only, Ronald Lindeboom from Creative Cow might be able to supply you with an exhibit code to get your free pass into NAB. You might have to give him a big Mooooooo!to earn it.

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik :-) Mooooo!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 11, 2011 at 11:15:02 pm

oh come on Sean - don't you know how to use Google ?

Free Pass to NAB 2011 Show
| Permalink | TrackBacks (0) If you plan on attending NAB show year, don't forget to register for your free NAB pass. Use the promo code A913.

If you don't have a plan, and don't know what you want to see, you will never see anything. It's overwhelming, even if you go year after year. I try to minimize the # of booths I need to go to (19 this year), but inevidably, I will go to about 100 (you can't help it). If you think you will see everything by just wandering around, you are dreaming - you will miss everything that you need to see. You MUST have a plan. You have no idea of how massive NAB is, and how overwhelming the show is.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 11, 2011 at 11:21:21 pm

[Bob Zelin] "You MUST have a plan. You have no idea of how massive NAB is, and how overwhelming the show is."

Even if you have been many times, there are DRAMATIC reorganizations. Right inside the front door of the South Hall, which used to be Avid (center) and Apple (right), is now Grass Valley and Blackmagic.

Avid is at the front of the second floor, where Panasonic used to be, but all the cameras are now in the Central Hall.

I could go on and on, but the point is, no matter how experienced with NAB you are, take nothing for granted this year.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 12, 2011 at 4:49:49 am

[Ralph Hajik] "Ronald Lindeboom from Creative Cow might be able to supply you with an exhibit code"

We don't have one this year, Ralph. We have been too busy with a bunch of things we are working on to have negotiated anything with NAB this year. But there seem to be plenty of pass codes floating around the forums this year.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Mar 13, 2011 at 5:13:10 am

Hi Ronald Lindeboom,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear you probably won't be at NAB, but I'm sure you have bigger & better things to do. Ronald, your doing an excellant job with the Cow Magazine and the site. The Very Best to you and the Creative Cow Staff. I wear the same size shoe as Bob Zelin and just in case I see Bob, my shoes insured.

Happy Travels

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 13, 2011 at 4:02:22 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Ralph, they are truly appreciated.

It's not that we wouldn't have liked to have done something this year at NAB, it's just that with such a small team we have to focus and do those things which are most advantageous to the COW for the cycles spent.

We will be at NAB this year, but only for a couple of days -- and yes, I will be super-gluing my shoes on to protect them from Bob Zelin while we are there.

Oh, Cowdog says to tell Bob: "I like shoes, too! They're tasty, especially the old well worn ones!"

I better go give the ole dog his morning bowl of kibble and beer...

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 12, 2011 at 4:47:30 am

Yes, Sean, if you have the money to take classes, etc., it is a useful thing to do. But if funds are tight, the showfloor itself is full of educational/informative things that will keep your brain sizzling for days.

But avoid Bob Zelin, especially if you wear the same size shoes he does -- as if he gets really excited about things and wears his out running back and forth, your shoes will not be safe.

Be warned.

Oh and wear good shoes, nice ones too. Bob hates anything less. It just wouldn't do...

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Mar 14, 2011 at 6:00:54 pm

HI Ronald,

WOW! I don't know how I got my picture up there with "The Best" but, thanks for the recognition.

Happy Travels
http://reels.creativecow.net/film/from-oman-to-oprah

Return to posts index

Earle Nichol
on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:04:30 pm

Hey Ron,
I survived 1 booth with Bob 2 years ago ...best frickin 1/2 hour at NAB ever!!! I recently went from Operations Manager to selling equipment(crazy???) I went last year for the first time as a Sales guy.. I felt like it was my first..after all those years of disciplining myself..on concentrating on my top 10-15..I was all over the map..just wanted to say to the guys that are going for their first time...LISTEN TO RON...LISTEN TO BOB...OR YOU'LL HATE YOURSELF THE MINUTE YOU STEP BACK ON THAT PLANE BACK HOME!
Looking forward to the show.

Earle

Communication! Communication! Communication!

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:02:33 pm

Hi Sean,

I don't know if you already have your Free pass for the NAB convention. I like to pass this forward to you and anyone else. I keep in communication with my friend Mike Hicks from Non-Stop Music and he sent me a free pass code to use. Feel free to use our VIP guest pass code to register: NV1215

Enjoy your time at NAB
Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:19:29 pm

thanks everyone (bob included ;) for the help and info. The pass I have its the most basic one so I am not sure a flight and hotel for just convention access alone really makes sense this year with the budget I am on. Oh well maybe next year?
cheers
sean

Return to posts index

Collin Kennedy
on Mar 18, 2011 at 3:48:18 pm

This is an interesting thread, even if Sean backed-out. I concur on the comfy shoe plan. I am sure that on a given NAB show floor day you probably clock 10+ miles. My plan, because it is budget minded like Sean is: Stay at the Riviera, sure there are nicer hotels, but you can't beat the rates! And it's walking distance to the LVCC. (although the trip home at the end of the day can be brutal) But they usually have shuttle buses if you can't bear to hike anymore. I don't obsess over the hotel that much because I spend so little of my time there anyway. Classes, seminars, demos, the show floor, and the after hours get-togethers and parties, I spend maybe 5 hours a day in the hotel room and I sleep 4.5 of those. I do the PPW conference track classes on Saturday and Sunday, then spread my time between classes I care about and the show floor for the next three days. And I always plan on at least 1 or 2 dinners at world class restraunts, because it's Vegas!

"Success should be measured by your effect on your audience"

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:15:02 pm

New, supportive shoes. Take a hit of ibuprofen each day before the show and after (you'll be a lot less sore the next day than if you wait to hurt before you start popping pills). And if you're a bigger guy like me, Gold Bond is your friend.

Get a show map from the NABshow website ahead of time and plan your route from booth to booth. If you don't you'll waste a lot of time wandering needlessly. The LVCC is massive, and it is crazy to bounce from hall to hall.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:05:26 pm

[Andrew Richards] "New, supportive shoes. "

To clarify, my experience is that the show floor is not the first time you should wear those new shoes. Even if they're sneakers, break them in first.

Even more important to me: new socks. Wear a fresh pair every day. When I was spending all day on stage doing demos, I actually changed socks in the early afternoon, and it made a huge difference.

Protect your voice. Go easy on alcohol, and watch the amount of time you try to spend talking in crowded bars. You'll be amazed how much better you feel on Wednesday or Thursday if your throat doesn't hurt.

Have a big breakfast, and bring some snacks, a bottle of Superfood or some such to get you through the middle of the day. You can kill an hour waiting in line for a lunch that's expensive and not very good. If you have to eat at the show, avoid the main dining area at the bottom of the South Hall. I don't know if it's still there, but I (used to?) really like the Indian place tucked into the right side of the second floor of the South Hall as you come up the main escalator, halfway or so back.

But better to tank up at breakfast, a light snack in the middle, and have a really good dinner. (Before dinner, some generous vendor will often have nice hors d'oeuvres for free if you keep your eyes peeled.) Prepare to spend grown-up money to dine really well. Vegas has some of the best food on the planet, and it's incredibly accessible if you pay attention. You can walk into Postrio in Las Vegas (in the Venetian), and need a reservation way in advance in San Francisco. Ditto Nobu in Vegas (Hard Rock) vs. New York, Figs (Bellagio) vs. Boston, and many others. Those are somewhat old-school. It's true for lots of newer ones too, as well as outstanding restaurants whose flagship, or only, location is Vegas.

I'd even say cheap out on a room to spend the money on really good dinners. With obvious exceptions, there aren't many truly awful rooms left in Vegas, and even less expensive ones are usually pretty nice. You won't regret spending the money on real food. Truly world class dining. There are trips that I ONLY go to town to eat dinner.

Never pass up the chance to have water. Or go to the bathroom. :-)

And as I mentioned in my previous post, it's especially important even for show vets to check out the map and make a plan. Many of the vendors that mean the most to you have changed locations, in some cases dramatically. The map will also tell you a very interesting tale about who's swinging for the fences.

For that matter, use Monday to scope things out, watch the demos, pick up the literature. The later it is in the week, the more one-on-one time you'll have with people working the booth, even in booths that look like pandemonium on Monday.

Read the literature in your room. The stuff you feel like keeping, mail back. Senseless to carry it. If it's too precious for you to part with, at least show up with room in your suitcase to carry it home.

My favorites of this advice: new socks, expensive dinners.

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Apr 1, 2011 at 11:22:16 pm

heat stroke is a real possibility out there as Tim mentioned. Do drink water.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]