FORUMS: list search recent posts

Coolest Stuff

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Coolest Stuff
on Apr 13, 2010 at 3:55:31 pm

What is the coolest stuff you have seen at NAB this year?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
Re: Coolest Stuff
on Apr 14, 2010 at 6:13:43 am

As it is only Tuesday, I've seen just few things. Most of my two days have been appointments for non-sexy stuff (fiber optics, converters, etc.).
However, the coolest thing I demoed today was the ZeePlay from TightRope Media Systems. Fantastic 4 channel SD/HD replay system. Extremely impressed and the price point is solid with the feature set.

Also very interested in the new AJA FiDO optic converters and I briefly saw Blackmagic Design's versions.

Matrox MXO for use with the Avid look solid - this actually is nothing spectacular, but makes me very happy.

On the switcher front the Ross CrossOver switcher is amazing for the price point and form factor. There new version makes this a real competitor in that form factor for production switchers.

I've got cameras, software, and other goodies for Wed. So now I can really play with the sexy stuff.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:41:33 pm

At NAB 2010 the coolest thing I`ll see will be an e- mail from the salesman who actually tries to sell me something I will buy because I`m 3,000 miles away. I really wish these guys would find a way to panic in a good way. (As far as I`m concerned that`s called please listen and say).

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:36:43 am

the coolest thing I saw at NAB was CAT DV.

It makes me sick when people say "nothing is new" - I have been hearing that crap for 20 years.
If you think that Blackmaigic selling Davinci Resolve for $1000 when it was $400,000 3 months ago is not a miracle, then we live on different planets.

The guy that is working with his Beta 1800 and Iki HL79 , and says "I still make great looking videos" will never think that anything is new.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Earle Nichol
on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:51:29 pm

Hey Bob,

thanks for the tip on Cat DV, loved watching you demo it for me...and Bryce was awesome as well. Oh and thanks for the talks at the Hard Rock! Great learning and awesome enthusiasm! I'm with you..if you didn't see anything new..then you aint learning which equals...DOA. Looking forward to your article on the Cow.

take care

Earle

Communication! Communication! Communication!

Return to posts index

Don Alexander
on Apr 15, 2010 at 5:39:15 am

David, do you recall the price on the zeplay? Cannot find it in my notes.

And I bought a license to CATDV as well.....

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
on Apr 15, 2010 at 1:59:37 pm

Don:
The ZePlay - according to my notes - was ~$40K for SD 4-channel and $60K for HD 4 channel. I spent time yesterday with Grass's Dyno, and I'm still lovin the ZePlay. Will finalize my replay stuff today with EVS (which I probably can't afford - but...).

I finally spent time on Wed with Cat DV - without a doubt a fantastic product. Downloaded the trial version and will play over the next couple of days.

I've got graphics stuff today (Adobe, Chyron, Inscriber, etc.) and Avid as my top stops and some minor appointments.

Still very impressed with the Ki-Pro - and intend to purchase 2 (I know it is old news, but with Avid supporting ProRes, and the AJA updates, I'm buying).

And...
"The guy that is working with his Beta 1800 and Iki HL79 , and says "I still make great looking videos" will never think that anything is new." - Bob you are so right! That made me chuckle. :) - and made me rethink my skepticism on 3D.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Apr 15, 2010 at 2:52:23 pm

It's interesting that CATdv is popping up on many people's "buy list". I bought a single license a few months ago just to test it out and now have found many, many more uses. Now we're considering a much more extensive client/server install. This is a product to watch (or buy if you need it).

Mark

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Coolest Stuff...Whassssup??
on Apr 17, 2010 at 1:07:12 am

Whassssup? Where is all the fine COW reporting from the NAB show? What's the buzz? Everyone touted the 3D technologies and other than the Sony and Panasonic prototypes there doesn't seem to be any big news from the big chip interchangeable lens front. Oh, and a brief moment on the CAT DV product.

Please report!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Apr 17, 2010 at 4:11:32 pm

Abekas showed off the new version of their Mira DDR. 8 channels of HD (jpeg 2000) coupled with a DNF controller for under $80k. DDR's have become much more affordable over the past few years.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 18, 2010 at 2:15:15 am

Hi Gary -
you mean like the AJA KiPro ? Do you consider this a DDR ? It's under 4 grand.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Apr 18, 2010 at 4:14:13 pm

I suppose technically the KiPro could be considered a DDR. I was responding to David Shulkin's post in which he mentioned EVS. I assumed that he needed a product that offered similar functionality. Such as Grass Valley's Dyno or Newteks 3 Play. The KiPro is a fine product, however it currently doesn't handle multi-channel record/playback as well as EVS, Dyno, 3play or Mira. It's simply a matter of choosing the right tool for the job.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 18, 2010 at 1:27:05 pm

Hey Gary, sorry to bug you with this publicly, but my attempt to email you got bounced. Can you drop me a line when you get a chance? tim at creativecow dot net.

Thanks!

Tim Wilson
Managing Editor
Creative Cow Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Apr 19, 2010 at 10:12:20 pm

The coolest thing I saw at NAB was Ron, Kathlyn, and Tim Wilson all in the same room at the same time. ;-)

Oh, you meant equipment?

There were quite a few things that make my list. Adobe's CS5 improvements may have been announced well before NAB, but some of the new features such as content aware fill will save enough hours of work that it's well worth mentioning. To actually try it out first hand was nice.

The DaVinci Resolve announcement from Blackmagic Design is just about enough on its own for me to add a Mac to the shop. As I overheard during the show, that price point means there's simply no longer an excuse for video that's not beautiful.

Another thing on my wish list now are Lightpanel's Sola Fresnel lights. Relatively cool to the touch with no color temperature changes as they dim, they are very nice. I've been wanting some Litepanels of my own since using a 1x1 a couple of years ago and I think the Sola Frenels will pay for themselves by reducing my power bill within just a few months.

More to come, but that's some of what was on my mind on the flight home.

Return to posts index

Thuc Phan
on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:02:48 am

The GoPro camera. Very impressed with the durability and quality of the footage. Just wish I had $200 on me when I was there to snag one at the convention price!

Return to posts index

Tom Grotting
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:10:37 pm

I have to vote for:

Interpol from Active Storage. Metadata on a card.

FIDO Single and Dual-channel SDI/Fiber converters from AJA

Avid embracing AJA, BM, and Matrox.

CacheA LTO4

Meeting Zax Dow at an Adobe party and hearing how he started Zaxwerks

getting on a plane to come home!

Tom Grotting
Digital Pictures
Minneapolis

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:14:39 pm

Seconded vote for coming home!

Can you tell me more about Interpol from Active Storage? I'm not sure what "metadata on a card" means, but I'm pretty sure I want one. :-)

Return to posts index

Tom Grotting
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:51:54 pm

Active Storage designed a card that houses 2 hard drives, spinning or solid state, that you put in an XServe to house the metadata for an XSan implementation. They sell 2 of them for $2500 for redundancy.

http://www.getactivestorage.com/pr041210-1.php

Tom Grotting
Digital Pictures
Minneapolis

Return to posts index

Joe Carney
on Apr 22, 2010 at 4:15:19 pm

Coolest booth was the Arbritron rest station one between the central and north halls. Free water, cookies and ice cream for the weary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]