FORUMS: list search recent posts

Comprehensive schedule?

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Mikkelsen
Comprehensive schedule?
on Mar 17, 2010 at 2:59:08 pm

Is there a one stop pdf or something that shows all of the events happening each day? I am trying to plan the events that I want to attend, but it seems that information is scattered all over the place.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Comprehensive schedule?
on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:34:58 pm

there is so much going on both on and offsite by different people that there is no way anyone would tackle that. NAB is overwhelming.

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:41:50 pm

I realize the improbability of including the off-site events, but the events contained within the convention center should be doable. The rooms need to be booked somewhere by somebody, otherwise groups would be over top each other trying to get into "empty" rooms.

So, if I'm still not able to get a schedule, how do you plan your day? Do you just stumble around until you find something that you like? Do you visit vendor booths first and see what events they know about? As you can tell, I am attentive to details and like to have things planned out well in advance. (part of my control issue - I know, I'm working on it.)

Tech-T Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:06:26 pm

It's a shame that there's nothing even VAGUELY comprehensive. The NAB Show website is a mess, with more broken links than working links...but nothing that even pretends to be comprehensive. You can almost find your way around by going to every category (Keynotes, Conferences, etc.) - again, far from comprehensive, but you can at least get started.

Worth noting that each of the individual conferences is quite good about a comprehensive schedule. Most of them are oriented around classes that you have to pay for, but many of them also include public keynotes.

(Not to be too much of a shill, but the "All Access" passes are a great deal, and allow you to sample all kinds of great stuff. Even something as specific as "digital cinema" or "digital intermediate workflow" will take you through two or three conferences, if not more.)

re: After hours events, good luck, dude. :-) When I worked at Avid, there were 30 events Avid SPONSORED (Avid paid for, invited attendees, etc.), plus many more that attended (say, a demo at a user group). One reason why there was nothing posted on the website is that many of these were member-only events (ACE, AISC, etc.), so no need to muddy the waters with a general notice that might be misconstrued an an open invitation.

That said, I see something to suggest to NAB for next year. This is a great idea, and I never noticed how seriously they fall short of the basics.

Good for you for trying to go beyond just aimlessly walking the floor. My next suggestion is to identify key topics or vendors, and look for events related to them. For example, we just got the announcement yesterday of the Sony Media Software user event - dude, it's got Dweezil Zappa AND Douglas Spotted Eagle.

Another example: our own Bob Zelin hosts the Maxx Digital reception in the horseshoe bar at the Hard Rock - free drinks in exchange for a business card, and plenty of "cows" to chat with.

Anyway, does any of this spur any specific thoughts? We may be able to help.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:12:54 pm

I was so flabbergasted that there was nothing on the NAB site that I kept poking. I eventually found this, but man, it should NOT have been so hard to find.

In order for it to be really useful, you also need to follow the links in the left nav to the individual conferences...where you'll see that there's a ton of paid content that's quite compelling. And of course plenty of free stuff in the general session that's also quite compelling -- starting with Stan Lee and Douglas Trumbull.

tw

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:39:46 pm

Awesome link! Thanks!
I've been searching through for possible items of interest and building up a quick Excel sheet. Then I can reorder them by date&time and see what I want to narrow it down to.

Tech-T Productions

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:03:53 pm

Thanks for the comments. I think that I am going exhibits only this year. Its hard to justify a grand or more in "tickets" and not be sure its going to be worth it. (plus all the other expenses involved traveling over 2000 miles each way)

I guess my problem is that I am too diversified. I perform almost all aspects of pre-production, production and post-production. Audio, video, graphics, compositing, animation, color correction etc... Including broadcasts straight to live web streaming, ENG style web sites, digital signage and consultations/training. These are all the "fun" parts of the business. I still have to be the marketing & advertising manager, office manager, accountant, IT department, maintenance department, etc..... I'm always trying to keep an eye open to find ways to make things runner smoother, easier or with higher quality (without breaking the bank). Its like when I come to the forum, I can spend all day here without a problem. I just counted at least 32 different forums here that I like to visit. (Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time everyday, so I usually end up using the "recent posts" link and maybe a forum or two.) My biggest fear is that I am going to spend all this time and money in Vegas and miss out on a bunch of stuff that I am really interested in because I didn't know about it.

So here is my best stab at what is high on my list:
1. HDMI capturing (cheaply) similar to firestore products or like a KiPro (only much cheaper).
2. Storage. Nothing super fast, can use local storage for current projects. Like the idea of the UnRAID.
3. HD video cameras. Don't have to be high-end, as long as I can record the HDMI out.
4. Surround sound microphones.
5. Cheap video mixer or other item which can overlay a bug on a live video feed and preferably output a DV signal.
6. Improvements/innovations in audio acoustics/architecture/construction for live venues/HOWs.
7. Blu-ray authoring
8. Cross-platform/software compatibility between FCP and Premiere
9. Finding alternate sources for stock footage and soundtracks/SFX.
10. Networking!!

There is more, but the clock keeps ticking. (If I get some time, I'll see if my co-travelers can provide a list as well.)

Tech-T Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:39:07 pm

re: the "worth it"-ness of the sessions: yes. ESPECIALLY given the breadth of your interests.

re: the "afraid to miss out"-ness of your quest. You will. :-) We're building in some features that we hope will make it easier for you, but the fact is that you're trying to cover an awful lot of ground.

Advice that hasn't come up yet: use Monday to see what you want to come back to. No need to bother with trying to get very deep into the information itself. Certainly no need to stand in line to talk to a rep, or listen over other people's shoulders, unless that's what you really want to do.

This is also the day to clear your head. Like all of Las Vegas, it is intentionally designed to keep you disoriented. Move slowly. Drink a lot of water. Treat Monday as your opportunity to refine the strategy that you planned before you got to town.

Tuesday is the day to stop by booths that you are your LOWER priorities. Hang around for any big demos that you missed Monday, but again, only dig deeper opportunistically, as you match the hassle of wading through crowds vs. seeing other stuff.

The fact is that the majority of people will be checking out that night. You'll be shocked at how quiet the show is by Wednesday. That's when to start getting up close with the products and people that you want to spend major coin on.

Thursday, except for the big camera booths, you'll have the joint to yourself. Take allll the time you want.

While some smaller booths start breaking down after lunch, none of the big ones do. Those can take a month to set up (no kidding), and take weeks to break down (also no kidding), so they're not going to hustle you out a few minutes early. Many of them even try to squeeze in a little MORE time Thursday, because the Broadcast Education Association conference starts with a reception Wednesday night, but a lot of those folks get to the floor for the first time on Thursday. But hey, they're teachers. You can definitely muscle them around.

(Educators: I'm KIDDING.)

Even with all of this, you'll still miss something. :-) The nature of the beast. But you maximize your chances by not trying to do everything at once.

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:44:55 pm

This is great general convention advise for all.
Day 1 - Everyone is all excited, pushing & shoving, etc... Try to chill and see what needs to be investigated more at a later time.
Day 2 - Ease into the smaller guys with less traffic and start picking some brains.
Day 3 - Make sure you have covered your top 10 list.
Day 4 - Start spending money. Buy the floor models. Nobody wants to have to pack up and lug any more stuff than they need to and you get a great deal. (Obviously, not going to work for the lastest and greatest new gadget.)

Tech-T Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:00:48 pm

[Terry Mikkelsen] "Buy the floor models. Nobody wants to have to pack up and lug any more stuff than they need to and you get a great deal. (Obviously, not going to work for the lastest and greatest new gadget.)"

Or for anybody reading the rules. :-)

I happen to be on the exhibitor site as we speak, as I wait on hold, and here's what I see:

DIRECT SELLING: NAB strictly prohibits over-the-counter sales (i.e.: cash, check or credit card). Only bona fide business orders for future delivery are permitted. NAB reserves the right to close down booths in violation of this regulation.

(Emphasis added by me.)

I have the impression that this was not always the case, but maybe I'm thinking of other shows that definitely DO have OTC sales.

Of course, folks may be more amenable to getting kicked out Thursday at 3 PM...but I wouldn't count on it these days.

Never hurts to try, though!

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:33:06 pm

Ooooo, good tid-bit of info. Not having been to NAB before, I didn't know that. With all the other conferences that I have attended, this has not been the case and I have gotten some really nice deals. That is too bad. On the plus side, I'll be walking around the streets with a LOT less money in my pocket.

Tech-T Productions

Return to posts index

Ali Grossman
on Mar 22, 2010 at 10:06:49 pm

This is my 6th (or 7th?) NAB but this the first time that I'm attending "exhibits only". Last year I felt like all of my time was spent at the Post Production World Conference and I didn't have time to explore the floor. I found some events that I'd like to attend in the Post Pit at http://www.nabshow.com/2010/education/post_pit.asp and I believe that they are free to all. I'm also attending a few vendor-sponsored events.
I'm kind of a jack-of-all-trades in that I script, shoot, edit, stream, duplicate, etc. But, I'm more a content creator than a tech-head. Like Terry and so many others, we're in the process of a HD and tapeless transition. Most of our "parts" have been ordered but I'm looking to make sense of a comprehensive tapeless workflow and all it entails...and to explore what others are doing to achieve this. We just received our new JVC HD-Pro last week and we're getting our AVID upgraded at the end of the month.... around the time that our remote switcher (and all its parts) arrives.
I plan to attend the Creative Cow event on the 12th and I would love to talk with others in the same boat... or anybody who has successfully made this transition... esp people from small production houses or university production houses who are willing to talk the art, discuss what has worked, and explain the parts. Please let me know of any meet-ups, forums, events.
Thanks!
Ali

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Mar 23, 2010 at 2:19:48 pm

I saw the Post Pit and I don't see any pricing either, so I assume free. I also found a few other things that I have put into a quick excel sheet and posted it here. If anyone has anything to add let me know! I'll try to update it a couple more times before the show.

653_nab.pdf.zip

Tech-T Productions

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 25, 2010 at 2:08:16 pm

"Last year I felt like all of my time was spent at the Post Production World Conference and I didn't have time to explore the floor."

Do you think this was a good or bad thing? I'm in the same boat...I'm excited about learning at the PPW sessions...but as my plan looks now, I won't get to the exhibit hall!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Ali Grossman
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:33:10 pm

Both strategies are good but there is a lot of free training this year by Sony and in the Post Pit. Last year was the second year that I went through the PPW training and, although it was good, it doesn't change much from year to year. I did learn a lot about chromakey techniques and marquis and some great tips for lighting but this year, I'm going to use the 1K to get taxis back and forth to the events at Hard Rock and Tropicana. The PPW training is great if you don't otherwise have time for development/refresher training but it seemed to me that most people who attend are producers looking to pick up a few basic production tips, not advanced-level production folks. I'm also looking forward to playing with cameras and the free booth presentations by Tricaster and AVID.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 18, 2010 at 1:00:27 am

this is what happens. You go with the best of intentions. You may even have a schedule (I do). You are excited. The show opens Monday morning, and you frantically head for the most important exhibits to you. Then, off to the next exhibit, and the next booth. In 4 hours you are exhausted. In 6 hours, you can't remember what you saw that morning. In 8 hours, you are in pain. And you have to go to the parties that evening. You meet people and say "so, what did you see today", and they respond "uuuh, uuug, uuuh, I don't know" . Your brain turns into blubber.

And guess what - you do this all over again the next morning. And for me, on Wednesday, it's off to the Tropicana hotel for RED Day. I am getting sick just thinking about all of this.

Every year people say "there was nothing new". These are the people that will be unemployed soon. I hear the same comments year after year "there was nothing new". These people are still shooting with an Ikegami HL-79 and a 3/4" deck (hey, it makes nice pictures).

And just remember, most of what you see won't even be released for 6 months.

I looked at your schedule - you will never cover it. If you don't get a list of ALL the manufacturers you want to see - and map it out, and know where they are in advance - you don't have a chance.

At least 90% of what I need to see is in one hall - the south hall lower level (post production, storage, networking).

I will release "my list" soon.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]