FORUMS: list search recent posts

First time attending NAB...need advice

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
First time attending NAB...need advice
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:45:45 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm going to come for the whole week (including the weekend before).

I'd like to take some motion training that weekend before...go to some of the exhibit hall...and then attend some of the classes during the days of that week.

I'm a bit confused about how to go about booking this. I've gone through the NAB website...and I don't understand.

Can someone give me some insight into how this works?

-Jason

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
Re: First time attending NAB...need advice
on Mar 11, 2010 at 6:05:31 pm

Jason:
I understand the confusion as I've been 13-yrs in a row and still have trouble figuring it all out - even for our staff. Anyway, if you are interested in the motion classes (or others) focus on the Post/Production World packages. IF you are thinking about just a day, look a little lower and click on the Conference Training/Cert packages - they have a one day option as well. Any of these registrations will give you exhibits pass as well for the week. IF you don't end up taking a class or registering for any of the packages/conferences but still want an exhibits only pass - DO NOT pay, you can get free passes from almost any vendor exhibiting or maybe your local resellers.
Hope that helps a little.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Tim Wilson
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:42:52 pm

You can get free EXHIBIT passes by entering the promotional code CC01 - as in Creative Cow zero one.

Be sure to look at the bundled conference passes. No need to register for one when, for just a little more, you can register for all of 'em. Nobody could (or would) go to every session of every conference, but there are other great sessions in the Broader-casting conference, for example. You can also go to all of the roundtables, some of which are truly amazing.

Bring clean socks, at least a pair of new socks for each day. When I was working booths, I always went for 2 pairs a day. HUGE difference.

Note that I mention new socks. You probably know this, but under no circumstances wear new shoes unless you've bought another pair of the same kind in the past, and know what to expect. It's not as bad for sneakers as it is for boots or dress shoes, but nothing will shut your trip down faster than a blister.

Drink more water than you can possibly imagine. You'll find many booth folks passing out little bottles with their logos on it. Never pass one up.

There's a great Indian food restaurant on the second floor of the South Hall. As you go up the escalator at the front of the building to enter the Hall, it's about halfway down on your right. Always a MUCH smaller line than the lunch line in the main downstairs area. Otherwise, consider bringing your lunch...or skip it in favor of a good breakfast and dinner. I generally find it more trouble than it's worth.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 13, 2010 at 9:24:11 pm

[Tim Wilson] "There's a great Indian food restaurant on the second floor of the South Hall. As you go up the escalator at the front of the building to enter the Hall, it's about halfway down on your right. Always a MUCH smaller line than the lunch line in the main downstairs area. Otherwise, consider bringing your lunch...or skip it in favor of a good breakfast and dinner. I generally find it more trouble than it's worth."

Rock on- that's great advice. My favorite place so far was the little NY style deli that's hidden away in the far side of the Central Hall near where Abel Cine typically lands. (look for the security offices and bathrooms in a centrally located island.)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 14, 2010 at 4:46:29 pm

the big plan for NAB is just that - TO HAVE A PLAN. You just can't wander aimlessly around the halls, and say "oh yea, I will bump into everything I need to see". There is too much to see, and it becomes very quickly overwhelming. I create a detailed list every year of what I must see. No matter how long you are in the video business, you walk down these halls, and say "what the hell is that" as you pass booth afer booth. It makes you feel very small, seeing all the stuff that you don't know as you wander around the show.

If you are interested in post production, or cameras, or audio - go to the nabshow website, and figure out where you need to be. Make a list. Imagine you are a woman going to the mall to find shoes, and EVERY STORE at the mall has nothing but shoes. Sound like fun - but it becomes overwhelming very quickly.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 15, 2010 at 8:09:25 pm

Number #1 thing for on the floor expo, DON'T take any printed materials, it will cost you $40 for over weight luggage at the airport. Get cards and just look up the info or have them send you the stuff.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
great suggestions...
on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:14:05 pm

I'm taking notes...keep the advice coming!

Thanks everyone!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:31:30 pm

I agree. Try to keep from getting weighed down. It also hinders your ability to interact with folks (hand shakes), play with gear, sign a credit card receipt, etc....

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:38:25 pm

OK...I've got one specific question.

I'm going to book for the "Post/Production World Best Value" package - with the Creative Cow free expo pass.

My question is: will that pass get me into the "Apple Certified Pro Training" for Final Cut and Motion? I don't need to pay for the certification....just attend the classes.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Mar 20, 2010 at 9:00:46 pm

The certification classes are extra. There are however plenty of FCP and other classes you can attend in the conference A full grid of classes is on the NAB website.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 22, 2010 at 4:18:48 pm

How much extra?

From what I heard, you can attend the class...but pay extra to take the certification.

I couldn't find any pricing info on extra costs for cert. classes.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jeff Walsh
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:11:38 pm

Hey Jason,

This is my sixth trip to NAB. Sounds to me like you're interested in the classes offered as much as anything else. The Post Production World to a tech Savvy is like the Wonka chocolate factory to my kid! If certification is what you're after, it's an opportunity. I've done it there, but you can do that online too. For me, I'm spending time & money to attend an amazing learning opportunity (at your discretion and in areas you want to focus). PPW offers that without the certification to hang at the office.
So you can sit in certification class, or sit in on the courses designed and taught by some of the best in the industry (like Richard Harrington who responded to you). My two cents: certification is a test-take it any time any where-PPW is an opportunity (that you would miss studying and taking a test).

Just my two cents-

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:02:26 pm

thanks for the feedback...

[Jeff Walsh] "So you can sit in certification class, or sit in on the courses designed and taught by some of the best in the industry"

You have to PAY to get in the cert classes, right? I couldn't bounce into those classes between other sessions, could I?

I'm so excited! This is going to be a ton of fun to get to meet people I've conversed with here on the cow for years!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jeff Walsh
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:23:48 pm

No you can't even enter the hall that houses the courses without the right badge. Certification classes aren't open, you pay for each one individually and it's more than the PPW which allows you to come and go as you like. With that badge, you're welcome to any and all of the courses going on, that and you have access to the show floor on the following week to see all the new toys.

Return to posts index

Jeff Walsh
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:28:44 pm

you pay for each one individually and it's more than the PPW

Sorry, I meant to say PPW w/certification is more than just PPW.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:40:02 pm

Awesome...I think I'm just going to do PPW and hope to garner the info I'm looking for in the Cert classes in those sessions.

I've been on FCP for about 8 months and I think I'm missing a few basics and I'd like to cover some of those, I'm routinely frustrated by what I'm unable to do in FCP vs what AVID did...and I think it's because I'm not doing it the right way...

-Jason

P.S. Thanks again! I appreciate the insight...

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:38:11 pm

Certain classes run 2 days and you must attend whole time. Other tracks have classes that run 1:15 (with a few doubles). You can pick and choose those.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Thuc Phan
on Mar 30, 2010 at 3:26:08 pm

First time going. Signed up for PPW, what are the classes like in terms of what I should bring?

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Apr 2, 2010 at 11:14:51 pm

Make sure to bring a jacket, it can get cold in the desert...at night.

Jon Schilling | VP of Sales & Marketing
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 323-803-8884
Fax: 323-372-3758
http://www.raidon-usa.com

See us at NAB South Hall 4, Number SL8821

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved