FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid at NAB???

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
moody glasgow
Avid at NAB???
on Jan 29, 2009 at 7:37:19 pm

I just got an email from NAB, and they had Avid's logo on their map of the expo hall. So I checked, and Avid is listed as an exhibitor this year.
Interesting...

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Avid at NAB???
on Jan 29, 2009 at 7:57:33 pm

[moody glasgow] "I just got an email from NAB, and they had Avid's logo on their map of the expo hall. So I checked, and Avid is listed as an exhibitor this year.
Interesting..."

Yes, Avid is back. They replaced the entire team damned near -- again -- and one of the outcomes of this, was a change in policy regarding NAB.

Don't expect the same thing from Apple. Apple cannot afford to replace their whole team and change their focus to this kind of degree, so I don't expect to see it one bit.

As the shuffling was going on in Tewksbury, Tim Wilson and I talked about the possibility of a change in direction for Avid and a return to NAB.

It makes sense for Avid, as they have always seen the Hollywood post production community as a key part of their business. With so much television post production still in the hands of Avid, the new regime saw it as a necessity to be there.

It was really no surprise to most people, given that so many changes were again proffered from Tewksbury.

Now the real surprise would be a change in policy out of Cupertino. But I am not holding my breath for that one and there have been nearly no changes that would suggest such a thing. Even Steve Jobs stepping down doesn't hint at that.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jan 30, 2009 at 10:16:06 pm

I really hope Avid turns it around, and forces Apple to really take a look at all their "pro" apps. Its coming on 2 years since the last major release for FCS. Shake has been EOL for awhile, Color still need some tweaks, FCP isn't quite "pro", etc.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 31, 2009 at 7:28:14 pm

[moody glasgow] "I really hope Avid turns it around, and forces Apple to really take a look at all their "pro" apps. Its coming on 2 years since the last major release for FCS. Shake has been EOL for awhile, Color still need some tweaks, FCP isn't quite "pro", etc."

Sadly, the market seems to be going headlong into the "good enough" mindset.

Gone are the days when people were willing to pay $50,000 to $200,000 for truly "pro" gear, and as people pushed for cheaper and cheaper cost of entry, the manufacturers have countered with products that are "good enough for most of our users."

The market is not going to return to specialized pro apps that only a handful of users understand or want. What we are now left with is a choice between one prosumer system or another. The few survivors further upstream won't be there much longer from what I can see.

It's the same with drives, as well. People want 1-terabyte drives for a hundred bucks and then want to go psycho when they burn up and they don't get great customer support. How can anyone give great support at those dollar levels?

The world of production has changed and we had better all learn the value of the word "workaround."

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]