FORUMS: list search recent posts

low NAB hotel rates for 2009

COW Forums : NAB Show

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
low NAB hotel rates for 2009
on Jan 2, 2009 at 6:02:55 pm

If you go to http://www.nabshow.com, you will see VERY low hotel rates for the NAB show.
The Imperial Palace only costs $40 per nite ! And there is a free shuttle from the hotel to the NAB show.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
Re: low NAB hotel rates for 2009
on Jan 2, 2009 at 11:14:27 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. Have any free exhibits Pass Codes?

-Paul

-----------------------------------------------
Paul Thurston
Producer
Chile

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 2, 2009 at 11:58:43 pm

just wait - every trade magazine will be FLOODED with free pass codes. I am sure that Creative Cow will have a free exhibit pass code as well which will be posted here soon.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jan 8, 2009 at 3:58:20 am

This is the first year I don't have NAB by now...

I see that Apple and Avid will both be a no-show again.

I guess I'll wait and see what Autodesk has planned before I make any commitment.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 8, 2009 at 5:30:25 pm

Apple and Avid will in all likelihood not return, while Adobe's booth was greatly cut last year to allow monies to be moved to the budget for the launch of Adobe TV. I doubt it will be any bigger this year. I can also remember when both Boris FX and Media 100 had large booths. Last year, their combined booth was quite small. Gone altogether from the halcyon days of yore are companies like DPS, in:sync and many others; swallowed up by others, or dead on the playing field.

Autodesk will be there until the sun goes nova, to quote my pal Tim Wilson.

I said it a couple of years ago and I believe it still today: NAB will return to being the "National Association of Broadcasters" show -- with a much smaller crowd. The distraction that was the multimedia contingent (read: creative things computer-based) will be gone and the show will once again belong to the engineers and broadcast moguls that were once (and really are) its core. Multimedia was a distraction from the show's real purpose and if NAB is going to survive in these days of massive cut-backs, they are going to have to focus on the part that they play better than anyone else. That is broadcast.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 8, 2009 at 7:28:05 pm

Red just recently pulled out too. Apparently they'll have cameras at a lot of booths with vendors showing Red support, so they're not setting up their own display. They'll have a presence by proxy.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 9, 2009 at 1:00:53 am

well, seeing Blackmagic just do the release (on Cow), and now waiting for NAB is making me think about all of this. I have always (almost always) learned alot at NAB, but if companies dont' use NAB to release new products, and continue to use the web (whenever the product is ready) - then, what is the point, other than "socializing".

Bob Zelni

Return to posts index

Michael Horton
on Jan 16, 2009 at 10:45:11 pm

Well if those companies don't want to go to the convention center and display their stuff they will probably be at our 8th Annual FCPUG SuperMeet. We've not given up the idea of socializing, sharing ideas and learning what you need to learn and will be at NAB on Tuesday April 21.

Details coming soon.

Michael Horton
lafcpug
http://www.lafcpug.org

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
on Jan 16, 2009 at 11:37:47 pm

Great!

-----------------------------------------------
Paul Thurston
Producer
Chile

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Jan 19, 2009 at 10:21:00 pm

I find this tread interesting because some of the conclusions are the same as mine.

But as "non-exhibitors" ya'll may not realize that NAB has progressively increased the price of the floor space to the point that the "cost per lead" of exhibiting is nearly prohibitive.

The other problem is the days of the show. Essentially making it a 3-day show (no one sticks around for Thursday) means attendees are rushed and rarely spend the time at more than a handful of booths to actually understand the products and technology. (Compare it to IBC which is much more relaxed and in-depth for visitors.)

I always enjoyed NAB from a "social" standpoint--being one of the few venues to put faces with names, and greet long standing customer/friends. There is much to be said about that.

I remember in the early 90's the SMPTE show was still well attended. And there were the regional Video Expo shows too. But NAB essentially killed them both off by attracting a lot of non-broadcasters who were forced to use higher-end products just to have reasonable quality for reproduction. When DV came along, most non-broadcasters moved to that format as it was cheaper and 'good enough'.

I also remember at one NAB counting over 100 editors on the floor! And I thought to myself, surely this will weed itself out to half dozen before it's all over....

Anyway, NAB is not a dying show, but it could use some downsizing.

There is nothing like putting your hands on a piece of equipment or asking product engineers directly your questions. Those things are difficult to do over the web. And the broadcasters who are considering large investments in one technology or another must do their homework...

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]