FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is NAB relevant anymore?

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Butcher
Is NAB relevant anymore?
on Mar 17, 2008 at 3:13:38 am

Last year's NAB left a bad taste in my mouth. Incredibly expensive accomodations and meals, and I didn't come away with anything I couldn't have discovered online.

I'd always enjoyed attending NAB in year's past, but Las Vegas left me feeling like there was always a hand in my pocket and at the end of my two days there I just didn't see the value proposition anymore.

I do miss seeing old friends, but not at the cost of $1000 plus for two and a half days (including air fare from Seattle). I can (almost) buy a new 30" Dell display for that.

Anyone else not attending NAB this year that would have attended in year's past?

Return to posts index

Michael Horton
Re: Is NAB relevant anymore?
on Mar 17, 2008 at 4:27:59 pm

Since Apple and Avid pulled out Hotels have been dropping their rates. You might want to check again. This year might be cheaper than last year. But yes, Vegas is expensive. But so is Seattle. :-)

Michael Horton
lafcpug
http://www.lafcpug.org

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Mar 17, 2008 at 6:09:52 pm

Yeah, Las Vegas Hotels rates are dropping faster then home prices in Los Angeles...

I have a suite at the Palms Place for $195 a night, for Saturday through Monday night...

They still have some good deals at the NAB website, on their housing website:
http://www.nabshow.com/2008/attendee/hotel.asp

Personally, I still think it's worth it. I would much rather do business with someone face to face then through emails and a website.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 17, 2008 at 6:33:27 pm

People who are in the broadcast gear market will still be there obviously, but the plethora of peripherally broadcast-related companies (that make multimedia and other gear and software) will be bowing out due to the sheer economics.

I spoke with some of my friends with another of the other Big A Name companies this week who told me that this year they are scaling back their presence at NAB -- again -- and that they are now talking about not coming back next year at all. We'll see.

As I said somewhere else, I expect to see NAB end up like SIGGRAPH -- which was once huge and many times its present size and scope -- in the next three years, eventually ending up with just one large hall (two at the very most) within that time.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

Larry Butcher
on Mar 17, 2008 at 7:11:08 pm

Thanks for the posts.

I used to go to Siggraph and NAB every year, then quit going to Siggraph when it got to be mostly students looking for jobs.

That said, I've not been to Siggraph in about 5 years, and will probably go to Siggraph over NAB this year. I'm pretty set on camera gear and other hardware. I do have some 3D and compositing app questions and Siggraph might be the better venue.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Mar 18, 2008 at 1:42:28 pm

I think it matters what your reason is for going, last year we had no reason to go because we weren't purchasing anything. This year we are more than likely going since we are about to upgrade our studio. It's nice to look at in person all the different cameras and test to see if they are worth what they boast about on their websites. Websites can be bloated with there own opinions and it's hard to get a review on cameras that do more than DV and HDV.

Return to posts index

Bruce N. Goren
on Mar 20, 2008 at 5:36:41 pm

It is still worth walking the aisles to see old friends and catch new tech trends that have yet to make it into print or the web. Social networking brings me the BIZ news faster than than broadband. And you can get good deals if you are willing to buy "show specials".

For the past few years my NAB plan has been to fly in to Vegas early in the morning for one full day of exhibit hall visits and fly back late that evening after one or two after closing time events. Airfare from most cities is pretty cheap for Las Vegas, a fraction of even a one night stay anywhere on the strip during a convention. I used to get the super cheap "Funjet" hotel/flight packages for gamblers from Southwest for the entire week before they wised up and blacked out the NAB days.

As for SIGGRAPH, I used to go every year and take lots of courses but I've scaled back there as well, doing the one day commando raid style visit every other year or so - west coast only. Know anyone who wants to buy my copy of the 1981 conference proceedings?

Bruce N. Goren
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"
John Wooden, Basketball Coach

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 20, 2008 at 11:33:15 pm

[Bruce N. Goren] "It is still worth walking the aisles to see old friends and catch new tech trends that have yet to make it into print or the web. Social networking brings me the BIZ news faster than than broadband. And you can get good deals if you are willing to buy "show specials"."

NAB *may* get some things before print but before broadband? Hardly. There are very few things that make it to NAB before being announced on the web -- an exception is news like the Apple event. But nearly every other manufacturer on the floor has already announced their news before before getting there.

Social networking is *best* articulated as a web phenomenon, not as a tradeshow floor phenomenon.

Show specials? It has been years since anyone I know of had any real show specials. Some of the very small companies do but even they are a small minority of the total on the floor. Show specials used to be a BIG part of NAB about 7 years or so ago. But that trend stopped and the exceptions are rare.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 21, 2008 at 12:10:18 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "Social networking is *best* articulated as a web phenomenon, not as a tradeshow floor phenomenon"

To be even more specific, the term "social networking" was INVENTED to describe what's happening on the web -- not just forums and blogs, but LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, Bebo, Friendster and on and on.

Here's Wikipedia: "A social network service uses software to build online social networks for communities of people who share interests and activities or who are interested in exploring the interests and activities of others."

Great stuff there, including which social networks are most popular in different parts of the world, and software to create your own. (The COW is custom-built, one reason why it's so successful.)

The Wikipedia article is also detailed on the history of social networks, and the range of their uses.

Note that there's no need to add the word "online" to social networks. Again, this term was invented to decribe what's happening online. No need to clarify any further.

[Ron Lindeboom] "Show specials? It has been years since anyone I know of had any real show specials."

The reason why is simple -- there are too few people who attend shows, including NAB, especially for companies with a global audience. Apple and Avid are great examples, but it's true for pretty much everyone. I've worked for a number of NAB vendors, most recently Avid, before that Boris FX and others. Those prices were available all over the world, through every possible sales platform...and not just for NAB, by any means.

You can even find specials at retailers who carry many products, who often add ADDITIONAL specials by combining them across products from multiple vendors.

In other words, you get the best deals by NOT attending the show themselves.

[Ron Lindeboom] "an exception is news like the Apple event."

That said, Apple is already on the road. They've saved a goody or two, but seriously, how long do you think you'll have to wait for the news? It often hits the wires just before the even begins. Certainly true for both Apple and Avid.

Speaking of whom, Avid was another company that had the "magic curtain" rise on NAB. This year, they've made their major announcements -- in our market, the new pricing and strategy for Media Composer -- and they too are already on the road showing their new news.

Expect these trends to continue, and accelerate.

Timmy

Tim Wilson, Creative Cow
Get your free subscription to the Cow Magazine!
Join my LinkedIn network

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Mar 22, 2008 at 10:01:58 pm

I guess the main reason I go is to have fun. Yeah F-U-N. Vegas is still fun for me. I enjoy meeting people. I enjoy going to the sponsored parties. I love to pepper sales people with questions, to see if they can give me the correct answer.
One year, Avid sponsored the AICE party, and they filled the room with their people. It turned into a game to see how long a sales person could last before they "suddenly" saw some long lost friend on the other side of the room.
Yeah, you won't find any exclusive deals, or get the scoop on some announcement. But, that's not why I go, or anyone else I know's goes. It really is about having FUN and meeting old friends and making new ones.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 22, 2008 at 11:18:19 pm

At last, someone has given a VALID reason -- one that can and does pass the acid test. Figures it'd be a Scotsman.

;o)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
The erstwhile Dutchman

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Mar 30, 2008 at 4:42:52 pm

Hi Ron,

After reading this post, it sounds like a bummer. It's to bad when I walk down the aisle and not see the Creative Cow Booth. I always enjoyed stopping and talking to Kathlyn and staff. Since you won't be there, here's my Mooooooooo! in advance. I'll keep you all in my thoughts. I'm attending NAB because it gives me the opportunity to see my brother who lives in LA, Cal. and works in the film industry. He's driving in and we're going to have a great time. I can't forget to mention the VASST Party and seeing my friends again. I usually stay off the strip where the hotels are cheaper and rent a car. This year my brothers driving in so we'll have a vehicle. Good Luck for those who won't be there and for those who are attending, let's have a great time and Party!

Ralph Hajik :) Moooooooo!
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

Bruce N. Goren
on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:18:39 am

http://newsletters.creativecow.net/newsletters/2010/01-05/index.html

Congrats on the milestone.

Bruce N. Goren
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"
John Wooden, Basketball Coach

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 6, 2010 at 2:34:29 am

Once again, we do it on our terms, Bruce. Not because you think that someone has to do it or else.

How was your year? Hope you found the job you were looking for.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 31, 2008 at 3:16:11 pm

I've been going to NAB for years but won't be this year, it's just not worth the time and expense anymore, especially coming from Europe.

IBC however is a not-to-be-missed show and makes far more sense for us Europeans. IBC is more concentrated and more real-world than the glitzy fan-fare one tends to get at NAB. Massive stands may be impressive to look at but they often get in the way of actually seeing the products on offer.

Although I love Vegas, it's terribly bad for your health and wallet!

Roll on September!

Return to posts index

Mike Bugera
on Mar 31, 2008 at 8:39:35 pm

I've been going to NAB for many years now, and my main reason is purely for the spectacle (kind of like Vegas itself). Being in that atmosphere gives me a creative charge. I never really spent any money there, mostly because what little money I had with me I prefer to put on a blackjack table. And also because, as much as Apple got me excited to buy their products, they didn't take orders at the show. You couldn't even log onto THEIR computers and place an order. Maybe if they had thought about taking web orders at the show they could justify the monumental price for the booth real estate.
As far as hotels go, Vegas is becoming a resort town, and prices are starting to reflect it. I used to stay at the swanky Imperial Palace for $70/night. But now the newly renovated Imperial Palace goes for about $170/night. Vegas used to be sin city. Now the only sin is having bad credit! You can find deals though. I found a smaller place on the strip for about $50/night.
But then, I live in San Diego, so transportation costs aren't as big for me.
I agree that NAB will see significant contraction in the next few years. And I anticipate this year will see a big reduction in attendance, but I'll continue to go until it ceases to be.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]