FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple at NAB 2008

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Low
Apple at NAB 2008
on Jan 17, 2008 at 4:34:28 pm

I've heard more than a few rumblings that Apple have pulled out/are pulling out of a stand at NAB this year...

Anyone else hearing anything?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Apple at NAB 2008
on Jan 18, 2008 at 8:08:53 pm

In addition to there own huge space, they also also vacating the space that AVID had reserved.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Director-At-Large
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 18, 2008 at 11:24:01 pm

Yeah, right;

Sorry Steve but your post makes no sense, Apple can't 'vacate' a space they don't own, did you mean 'inhabit' the space that Avid gave up!?

Why does Apple still not appear on the exhibitors list?

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 19, 2008 at 12:26:42 am

[Daniel Low] "Why does Apple still not appear on the exhibitors list?"

Why? I believe that they are "working" NAB's show management. That is my guess. I know that if NAB had just been handed AVID's "we won't be there" notice, if I were directing Apple's event marketing, I would be working NAB to the wall. NAB can't afford to lose both Avid and Apple. Apple knows that and there is power in that knowledge. Forcing NAB to pull Apple down, sends a message that also forces them to realize that the days of NAB raising the rates year after year is over. It's time for a reconsideration of who is buttering whose bread here.

So, if I had to take a wild guess as to why Apple disappeared from the exhibitors' list shortly after Avid's highly public pull from NAB 2008, I'd play it exactly as I have outlined it here.

That's my guess.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 20, 2008 at 11:34:15 pm

Apple DID appear (in the AVID space), but you are CORRECT - Apple is no longer listed in the http://www.nabshow.com website.
Neither does a floor map layout. Does this mean that there will be a BIG EMPTY SPACE, and the first booth anyone will see will be AJA (behind the empty AVID/Apple booth) ?

I can make some smart ass comments, but someone like Panasonic would be happy to make a "quick move" into this space, and they certainly could afford to do so.

Interesting times.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jan 22, 2008 at 7:52:29 pm

Funny thing is, I went Nabshow.com and clicked on the link to the show floor

http://www.nabshow.com/2008/showFloor/default.asp#

First thing I noticed was the Apple logo on the south hall...

EDIT - http://www.nabshow.com/2008/exhibitor/PostProduction.asp

shows Apple as an exhibitor...

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 22, 2008 at 8:10:58 pm

They may have Apple's logo on the show's graphic map but Apple is not listed as of today in the Exhibitor's directory, which shows all the exhibitors in alphabetical listing order, including their booth assignment number.

Apple *used* to be on the directory listing -- they even had a booth assignment -- and were on it for a week or two after Avid announced they were pulling from the show. Then suddenly Apple disappeared also. I think, in my opinion, the reason I gave in an earlier posting is the likely reason.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Return to posts index

Michael Horton
on Jan 27, 2008 at 9:35:22 pm

Apple is now listed as exhibiting at NAB. SL 106. First thing you see when entering the Lower South Hall.120x120 Looks to be the biggest booth in all of South Hall by 2x. So they negotiated well. :)

Michael Horton
lafcpug
http://www.lafcpug.org

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 27, 2008 at 9:38:37 pm

[Michael Horton] "So they negotiated well."

I expected nothing less from them.

:o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 27, 2008 at 9:52:52 pm

Excellent news and sounds like it's going to be big.

Anybody got a wish-list of things they'd like Apple to announce? Just for fun?

DL

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 27, 2008 at 10:36:00 pm

[Daniel Low] "Anybody got a wish-list of things they'd like Apple to announce?"

Yes, that they'll finally be paying us the 90% of the bill that they and their agency stiffed us for, saying that we *under-delivered* their banners by 90% below agreed (when we actually gave them millions more impressions than we agreed to by the contract).

That would be nice...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jan 28, 2008 at 4:38:09 am

I hope they announce that FCP will finally produce perfect EDL's...

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

David Peralta
on Jan 28, 2008 at 6:34:24 pm

I'd like them to finally have a shipping copy of FC Server...

hmm... I wonder what this button does...

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 28, 2008 at 8:00:38 pm

I'm betting on:

Final Cut Studio 3 - all apps with new GUI and a bunch of Leopard specific tools
New shake/motion hybrid, maybe part of FCP
Something about color
New DVDSP supporting Blu-Ray

New Mac Pros with BTO Blu-Ray burners
New Mini Mac Pro - think Quadra 700 - if you can remember them!

Updated displays including 4k biggie.

Sadly, after this years rather dull Macworld, I don't think we'll see anything other than a new/updated DVDSP.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 29, 2008 at 4:40:31 am

At NAB 2008, I'd like to find an explanation to clients as to why it cost more money to buy the cable, connectors, and racks than for the actual equipment these days !

At NAB2008, you will see hot new storage, and 4K workflow.
Of course, if larger more reliable disk drive storage, and better quality for higher performance is not important to you, then I guess it doesn't matter. People have said for years that AJA has shown nothing new, year after year. I guess if you were happy with your Beta SP VTR, then you would be correct.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Jan 30, 2008 at 8:11:44 am

Apple will rename Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Prosumer. They will also announce a version of QuickTime that works, but not deliver one.

Jeff Bernstein

Digital Desktop Consulting
Apple Pro Video VAR
XSAN Certified
MetaSAN Master Reseller

323-653-7611

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 31, 2008 at 2:22:44 am

They will also announce a version of QuickTime that works, but not deliver one.

Quicktime 7.4 was designed specifically to keep Apple repair depot's busy until the next release.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Jan 31, 2008 at 4:46:21 pm

Quicktime 7.4 was designed specifically to keep Apple repair depot's busy until the next release.

Mission accomplished!

Now can they fix the Gamma issues?

Jeff Bernstein

Digital Desktop Consulting
Apple Pro Video VAR
XSAN Certified
MetaSAN Master Reseller

323-653-7611

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Feb 7, 2008 at 6:20:47 pm

Someone over on the AVID threads is starting a rumor that Apple has pulled out of NAB....

http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/13/288224/ShowThread.aspx#288224

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Michael Horton
on Feb 7, 2008 at 6:35:42 pm

I'm hearing it too from well informed sources. Well, if they do pull out, then make time for the SuperMeet, April 16 cause they will be there that I know. I've booked them.

Michael Horton
lafcpug
http://www.lafcpug.org

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 7, 2008 at 8:02:31 pm

Here's the link from TV Technology where Apple states they'll no longer be at NAB.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/dailynews/index.cgi

Michael.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Feb 7, 2008 at 9:06:42 pm

For some reason, it strikes me as odd... That article was posted on Feb. 1, almost a week ago, and it just surfaces now? I read it again, and much of it seems vague. When AVID dropped out there was a lot more news and info about it.
Maybe its just me.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Feb 7, 2008 at 10:29:41 pm

[moody glasgow] "When AVID dropped out there was a lot more news and info about it."

That's because AVID leaked its news through the COW and gave us an exclusive interview with Graham Sharp, the division head who spear-headed the decision. We ran it as a lead story in our newsletter and that quickly spread it like wildfire.

Apple sneaked it in quietly by giving its interview to TV Technology and its audience is largely the guys at NAB that frequent the satellite uplink trucks and switchers in the north hall. These guys hardly ever visit the south hall as they don't care about what's there.

TV Technology's website gets so little traffic at its website that you could fire a cannon in most areas of the site and never hit a soul. By comparison, the COW just passed the 3/4 of a million "totally unique visitor" mark, according to Google Analytics.

That's one reason...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]