FORUMS: list search recent posts

Checking out Algolith? Please post your impressions.

COW Forums : NAB Show

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MitchJi
Checking out Algolith? Please post your impressions.
on Apr 14, 2005 at 10:03:46 pm

Hi,

We are very interested in their AE Noise Reduction plug-ins and the stand alone application (same software as the plug-ins). Impressions on AlgoSpeed (which has the Teranex chipset) would also be of interest.

http://www.algolith.com/
"Algolith introduces new PROVIDEO Solutions at NAB2005 - 14-04-2005
April 14, 2005, Montreal, Canada

Return to posts index

Jake
Re: Checking out Algolith? Please post your impressions.
by
on Apr 22, 2005 at 4:24:01 pm

I used the noise reduction system and AAA a couple of weeks ago with results. The render speed was very very slow and so the boards will be a nice addition to speed up workflow from stagnant to useable. (I did apply several effects to the timeline first which is a no no, as they ask if your going to apply certain combinations of effects to use subcomps.

The noise reduction as I understand it is for M-Peg2 quality improvments. One aspect I never quite understood is if I apply the noise reduction before compression then what or how is this effective. I believe you need to be able to import you mpeg2 video into AE or other and de-noise for this to be effective. Otherwise your AVI to mpeg2 process will reintroduce noise.

Also the upresolution feature was someting I never quite understood, and the reason for my purchase, lukily they do offer the one week purchase which I think is the coolest and best software licencing idea I have ever used. I was glad to plop down 30.00 bucks to test my footage against there toolset.

I also should mention that the support was excellent. I had a question one day later I had a responce. What more can you ask for.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Miller
on Apr 22, 2005 at 11:11:25 pm

I, too, have recently used a few of the Algolith tools. I was really excited to check out the new board as the render times are really high when running the AE plugins. The two guys manning the booth were very nice and did the best job of answering my questions with total honesty.

Here's what I got from them:

The PCI card (AlgoSpeed) really does use the Teranex HQV chip. It's right there on the board, and the first thing they show you. It will perform many of the tasks of the stand-alone Teranex Video Computer, but not at realtime. They said that it will average about 1/4-1/3 realtime. Still that's fantastic compared to running software-only. So, with the card, a 1-minute clip will take 4-minutes to render.

I asked if the noise reduction was the same as the Algolith DNR plugin, and they said no. It was based off of the Teranex specs. I asked if it was the same quality as what their plugin can perform, and again they said no. It's really good, but not as good as their own software. But you get the HUGE speed advantage with the card.

They said the card will not perform complex frame-rate conversion at this time. However, they have built the card to be upgradeable, and if their client-base wants it to do frame-rate conversion, then they'll just develope a firmware upgrade. I hope they do soon. Being able to do an accelerated NTSC to PAL conversion (or 30i to 24p) would be fantastic.

The card will be available for both PC and MAC. Sometime this summer.

They did not have the card running at the show, which would have been nice to see. They had a card there, but it was sandwiched between two pieces of clear plastic.

Anyway, I'll be really interested to get my hands on the card when it's available for my MAC. I recently rented time on a Teranex, and at the normal rate of $1000/hr for the Big Boy, the Algospeed could pay for itself in half a day.

Good luck!

Jon
TreeLine Productions
Fort Collins, CO USA

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Apr 23, 2005 at 2:42:09 pm

When I explored the Algolith booth offerings, I was told the same as Jonathan. In fact, Jonathan, I'd like to work with you to turn your post into an article -- credited to you, of course -- as I think it would be of interest to our readers. Are you interested???

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Jonathan Miller
on Apr 23, 2005 at 10:33:22 pm

You betcha, Ron.

Whatever you need. In case you missed it, I also posted in the AE forum a couple of weeks ago. I was talking about Algolith's DNR plug.

http://www.creativecow.net/forum/read_post.php?postid=111325649151908&forum...

Let me know if you need any further info.

Jon

Return to posts index

Jonathan Miller
on Apr 23, 2005 at 10:34:09 pm

Oh, and it was great meeting you at the COW booth on Tuesday.

Jon

Return to posts index

MitchJi
Re: Thanks Jake. Thanks Jon, exactly the information I was looking for
on Apr 24, 2005 at 9:31:02 pm

Thanks!

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]