COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Fast
3D Preview blurred + 16 bit support?
on Jul 17, 2013 at 3:29:14 pm

Hi,

I have two questions:

1. Blurred 3D Preview
After upgrading the Invigorator plugin, the 3D preview (of text and primitives) is now very blurred.
I am using images as material, and to get the images to fit, I need to tweek the UV properties, a lot.
Before the upgrade I was able to stay in 3D preview mode and modify the UV settings pretty much in real time.
Now the 3D preview of materials is blurred beyond recognition. And I am loosing a tremendous amount of time, having to hit the preview button all the time.
Changing Meshing and Object Smoothness settings under "Object Control", has no impact.
Can I get the old behaviour back, I need the materials to be visible when editing UV Properties ?

2. 16 bit support?
It seems I cannot use the Invigorator plugin in 16 bit environments.
If the CS6 doc is 16 bit, or the material is a 16 bit tiff or PNG file, Invigorator crashed or renders incorrectly.

Is there a solution or workaround for these two problems?
I'm using the Invigorator plugin for PS CS6 Extended.
Thx,
/Hans

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: 3D Preview blurred + 16 bit support?
on Jul 19, 2013 at 12:12:49 am

Hi Hans,

I'm not sure what you are seeing. Can you send a screen shot to me at ed@zaxwerks.com? Also, try going into the Invigorator Preferences window and turn off the setting Use GL Shaders in Draft/Final mode. Does this help with what you are running into?

Also, when applying Invigorator for Photoshop, it's best to apply the filter onto a Smart Filter layer instead of directly on an image. So, to do this, create a new layer first, then convert the layer to a smart filter layer. If you're still having problems, please send the project file to me and I'll take a look.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Hans Fast
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:49:10 pm

Thank you for your quick answer.

First a quick mission statement: I can definately see the use for a tool like Invigorator, even with PS CS6 Extended's 3D capabilities. But for me, the need to work with high resolution photos as material is essential.

I have sent you screenshots and project files for the problems I am having. If you need more, PSD and materials, everything for the tests are available in dropbox.

I tried your suggestions:
- turn off the setting Use GL Shaders
Did not help

- apply the filter onto a Smart Filter layer
No difference

I also tried:
- Changing the Preview and Render smoothness slider in the Object panel
No difference

- The blurred preview problem makes it very cumbersome to position photo material on an object, or even rotate the object to the right position. Having to Render Test between every tweek adds a large chunk of time to my workflow.
My previous version of Invigorator (w. PS 4-5) did not have this problem.

- The 16 bit problem means I need to save my materials as 8 bit before using them in Invigorator. I loose some resolution doing that.
To gain maximum resolution, I have tried increasing the material size before saving as JPEG. That helps, but I seem to hit a limit somewhere around 24MB where Invigorator hangs.

I have 8GB memory, 5 GB assigned to PS. Windows 7. PS CS6 Extended.

Please advice.

Best,
/Hans

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:34:37 pm

Hi Hans.

In regard to the blurred texture problem,
I think you're seeing how we create low-ish resolution
preview textures for the objects in OpenGL. By default, we create
256x256 textures for our objects.

You can change the size of these proxy images
on a per-Material basis or globally for any
newly-created materials.

Note that the preview resolution doesn't affect the
quality of the final rendering when using the Invigorator
or the Ray Tracer renderers. These renderers will always
use the full resolution of any images you use.

There are two places to look:
For a specific Material
    If you open the Material in the Material Editor,
    you can specifically set the shader preview Texture size
    by clicking on the Texture Preview Size button next to the
    Material Swatch.

You can set the preview size for this material.

Globally
    Open the Invig Preferences dialog inside the Invig Set-Up window.
    (Cmd+, on the Mac).
    Look for the item labeled Shader Texture Width/Height.
    Change these values to globally set any newly-created materials.

Let us know if this relates to what you're seeing, or if you have further questions.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:02:06 am

Hi Hans,

Please check your email. I have replied to your email with screen shots addressing the issues you are running into. It should be similar to the answers that Matt provided on the forums.

If you're still having problems, please let me know.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Hans Fast
Re: 16 bit support?
on Jun 13, 2014 at 9:14:07 am

Hi again,

I gave up on Invigorator for a wwhile and have been struggling with PS 3D mapping of materials. Do you have any news on this issue? I would really like to be able to use Invigorator - BUT, I need to use high res materials and 16 bit images in PS.
Please help.

My Invigorator plugin to PS still freezes when using any 16bit PS file or JPEG material file > 4-6 MB.

Please answer these q:
- Does Invigorator support 16bit PS files at all? Typical PS file size 16bit 4000x4000px AdobeRGB color space.
- It should be very easy for you to verify or dismiss this issue with the files I sent you. Does it work for you?

I have Invigorator 6.1.1 (latest?), PS CS6 Extended, Windows 7, 9GB RAM, PS allocated 5GB.

Please don't ask me to send you the project files again.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jun 13, 2014 at 6:13:15 pm

Hi Hans,

At the moment, we do not support 16 bit images for our materials. What type of work are you doing? If it is not something that is really zoomed in or used at a really high resolution, then you may not need a texture map that is so large.

If you are just working with HD sized images where they are 1920 x 1080 sized, then you will not need such a high resolution such as 4000 x 4000. You may be able to just use a 1000 x 1000 sized image or a 2000 x 2000 sized image.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Hans Fast
on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:28:41 am

Hi Edward,
That is correct if you talking about film or images to be displayed on screen only. But you cannot print images of that low resolution, not at any significant size.
To print a modest 18x24" poster with one 3D object centered on the paper, that object would have to be at least 3000x3000px. To be UV mapped, rendered and printed at 300dpi, you need support for high resolution materials or the rendering comes out jagged and blurred to an extent that cannot be corrected in PS afterwards.
Even consumer cameras today spits out images of 10-16 MP resolution, I am surprised they cannot be used in Invigorator without down-sizing to a size that cannot be printed.

Please note, I am not just talking about 16bit images. 16bit is better to have if you do a lot of work in PS, or resize a lot, but it seems to me that even JPEG material cannot be used, not even for a regular 8.5x11" print. This is disappointing. Too bad - and it's a show stopper for me.
Please let me know if you can think of a workaround or tweek that would make Invigorator work with larger size documents. Invigorator seems very limited indeed in this respect atm.

Best,
/Hans

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jun 18, 2014 at 7:50:21 pm

Hi Hans,

Sorry to hear that the program isn't working with your workflow. We're definitely wanting to add more features and compatibility to the software so hopefully we'll be able to add 16-bit support to the plug-in in the near future.

As for working with Invigorator for Photoshop, you can apply Invigorator to a Smart Filter layer if you haven't done so already. This way, it keeps your Invigorator elements live and you can make changes to the Invigorator elements as well as your Photoshop elements while keeping your Invigorator layer live. This way, you can do the editing that you need without running into problems with the 8-bit image.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]