FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layer map for an irregular object

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Mol
Layer map for an irregular object
on Sep 6, 2012 at 10:08:04 pm

Hi

I'm trying to build a cosmetic bottle and right now I'm happy with the model (I'm using a lathe object)

The problem is I'm trying to add the logo and other specifications using a Layer Map, but it's pretty hard to calculate the correct proportions to use, since the model is a kind of a pyramidal cylinder.

I tried adding a grid to the layer map, but when I finally managed to make it look good changing the comp size of the Layer Map, I move the cursor on the timeline and it changes to messed up again.

I'm Using the latest version of both 3D Invigorator and After Effects. I started the layer map using the same comp size, then I changed it in comp settings.

Thanks for any tips.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Layer map for an irregular object
on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:50:46 pm

Hi Fernando,

You can try going into the Material Docks panel. Then, select the material that is applied and you will see additional mapping controls. You should be able to adjust the scaling and position controls to help align the map to the correct position.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Layer map for an irregular object
on Sep 14, 2012 at 1:08:37 am

Thanks, Edward, that helped a lot.

I was confused because of the way the Layer Map is displayed inside the 3D Invigorator interface (the preview is a color bar graphic) and I was thinking it was mandatory to fill the entire object with the layer map.

This is what I learned:

I created a square precomp, placed the logo and info there and made them fill all the width of the comp. Then, I assigned the precomp to a Layer Map and got myself inside the Invigorator interface.

Now I was able to adjust the rotation, scale and position using the mapping controls you mentioned, Edward, and it was really easy once I figured out that I can turn the tiling to none. The image was not distorted and it didn't matter the actual shape of the object (a lathe).

That was it! No distortion and no weird calculations for the aspect ratio of the layer map.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]