FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reference Scale in Invigorator Pro

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom German
Reference Scale in Invigorator Pro
on Jul 20, 2012 at 4:32:37 pm

As I am creating new projects in the 3D environment of Invigorator Pro, I'm confused as to the unit of measurement of the objects I create. For example, if I want to incorporate a layer map onto the face of a cube, is there a corresponding size that would be optimal for a 600 x 600 pixel jpeg? (Let's assume it's stationary and I don't need to worry about pixelation from zooming in to it).

Also, in some of the tutorials, I notice that objects are created with 4 figure dimensions (i.e., depth of 1200). Many of the sliders, though they allow larger numbers to be typed in, are limited to smaller numbers by the default click and drag interface. If I start using much larger values, does this impact processing or rendering of my CPU?

Assuming my question here is a legitimate one, I wonder if any users have adopted their own standard for scale. For example, in a recent project (and I won't bore you with how I arrived at this number), I happened to use a scale of 86.7 invigorator units to a foot of 3D space in my virtual environment.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Reference Scale in Invigorator Pro
on Jul 20, 2012 at 11:39:32 pm

Hi Tom,

The units in ProAnimator relate to pixels. So, if a Cube is 600 x 600, the cube would be 600 x 600 pixels in width and height. If you are worried about zooming in on an object, you can always apply a map that is much bigger than the object. For example, if you map a 2400 x 2400 image on a 600 x 600 cube, you would be able to zoom in quite a bit and still have a sharp image.

Keep in mind that the bigger your objects (or the bigger they are on screen), the more pixels have to be rendered out. This will affect the rendering time for your project.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
Re: Reference Scale in Invigorator Pro
on Jul 23, 2012 at 4:52:48 pm

Hi Tom.

The world units we use inside the software are just that - world units.
They're fairly arbitrary, and aren't actually related to pixels until you render a frame.

When designing your scene, you can imagine them as being any size you like.
So a world unit can represent an inch, a meter, or a mile. It's up to you.

When you need to integrate an Invigorator scene with another 3D scene,
or with a 2D picture, you'll want to consider the natural units of the other
scene/picture. For example, if you're putting 3D text into a picture of a flower,
you may want to think of a world unit as a millimeter. But if you're putting text on
a building, it might be easier to think of a world unit as a foot.

As Ed mentioned, rendering a 3D scene at 1000x1000 pixels will take
longer than rendering that same scene at 500x500 pixels, regardless of
how big the objects are in world units.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]