FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting .obj files

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Willett
Exporting .obj files
on Jul 13, 2012 at 5:24:17 pm

Hello.

Is there a way to export an .obj file with an accompanying texture map in ProAnimator?

I just bought Video Copilot's new Element plugin, and it uses .obj files. I was hoping to be able to bring in something I built in ProAnimator and exported as a .obj. But when I import the .obj, it comes in without any materials, and I can't find a texture map to go with the object I saved out of ProAnimator.

Thank you.
Brent

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Exporting .obj files
on Jul 17, 2012 at 10:13:06 pm

Hi Brent,

Right. Our objects export with the map being applied on it. This is because many 3D programs use different mapping techniques, so that's why the map is not saved when it is exported. If you need to get the image that is being used, you can use the "File > Collect Files" command and it will save all the image maps that are being used in the project.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:24:31 am

OBJ files always come in white because textures are not part of an OBJ file. If you look at the Element demos you'll see all OBJs come in white. Like Ed says use the Collect Files command to gather all your textures together into one folder. Then rebuild the material in Element just like they do in the tutorials.

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

Brent Willett
on Jul 23, 2012 at 2:45:24 pm

Hi Zax. Thank you for the reply (and Ed to). You guys are always so good with customer service, and it is always greatly appreciated.

Yes, that is true about the obj models coming in white and that you still have to assign the textures inside of Element. The kicker is that the models come in as one piece, unless they already have different textures assigned to them. Andrew Kramer explains in his tutorials that Element automatically recognizes pieces of an obj file that have different textures, and separates out the model into different pieces accordingly. If the obj doesn't already have different textures associated with different parts, it comes in as one piece. And there doesn't appear to be any way to separate the parts once they are inside of Element to be able to assign them separate materials.

One way around this is to save each part as a separate obj file and import each one into Element, but the problem there is that Element automatically normalizes the size of the object. So if I'm bringing in different parts of a logo, I have to do a lot of messing around to get the separate pieces in the right place. The same problem happens if I build it from scratch using masks on AE layers.

So that's why I was wondering if there was a step that I was missing in exporting an obj from ProAnimator that would keep the texture maps associated with the individual parts of the file.

Once again. Thanks for your time and your continued attention to your customers. You guys are the best!

Brent

Return to posts index

Marty Miller
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:53:44 pm

I'm having trouble using the Collect Files menu. I exported the obj file no problem. I then choose [File->Collect Files] and a "Save As" box pops up. AT the bottom in the File name: box it says "Zaxwerks Project Folder.*" and the Save as type: says "All Files (*.*)"

If I type in a file name I get an error message saying "The file name is not valid".

I can't find anything on the support site regarding this.

Thanks,

Marty

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Feb 1, 2014 at 11:41:56 pm

I have the same problem with the Collect Files Command (proanimator 7.01 on Windows 7). Did anybody find a solution to save the texture together with an obj file?

Thanks for your help!

Theo

Return to posts index

Brent Willett
on Feb 2, 2014 at 8:50:13 pm

Hi Theo.

Unfortunately, no, there isn't a way to export a texture with an obj file. And there isn't a way to bake the textures of a model into a single still image either.

If you have an object in ProAnimator that has multiple materials applied to it, and save it as an obj, ProAnimator will then import that obj in separate pieces, one piece for each different material. This can be very useful when continuing to work in ProAnimator, or Invigorator. But, unfortunately, Element will not recognize those separate pieces. In Element, it comes in as one piece.

You can also export a 3ds file out of ProAnimator. The 3ds file will import into ProAnimator with individual pieces, and with each piece having a basic color version of the material it had when it was saved. I've had success importing a ProAnimator-saved 3ds file into Cinema 4D this way too. But, Element doesn't import 3ds files.

The "Collect Files" command is a great feature to put all the texture maps you're using in a project into one place. This is especially handy if you need to take your ProAnimator scene file to another computer, but it doesn't help with exporting obj files.

Brent

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Feb 2, 2014 at 9:30:18 pm

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to import the textures from proanimator into photoshop. But apparently this is not yet possible. I hope that Zaxwerks will include this feature in a next update/upgrade

Theo

Return to posts index

Brent Willett
on Feb 2, 2014 at 10:53:21 pm

Hi Theo.

You can't do a direct export of textures. But here's a decent work around: make you're ProAnimator project's frame size the size you want, add a wall plane that's the same size, put the camera view to the front, and apply your texture to that. Then you can save that frame as a still image that you could open in Photoshop.

Brent

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Feb 4, 2014 at 10:04:26 pm

That's an good idea, I'll try that!

Theo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]