FORUMS: list search recent posts

Texture on bevels and sides in ProAnimator

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karl Huber
Texture on bevels and sides in ProAnimator
on May 14, 2012 at 3:12:26 pm

I am using v4.5.1 of PA. What I am tring to accomplish is a uniform look all around my 3D object. What I am getting is good results on the front and back, but the bevels and sides are streached. I am using an image imported for AI where I added depth.

I have tried using layer maps in AE and scaling, rotating, etc... but still not getting the same look as the front and back. I have also tried creating a new scaled and/or cropped image of the front image and just cant get the look.

Is there a way to calculate the scaling for these to refine my image layers?

Or is there just something I am missing?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
Re: Texture on bevels and sides in ProAnimator
on May 15, 2012 at 5:46:53 pm

By default ProAnimator uses UV mapping which means that for the sides, the map starts at the lowest point on the object and wraps counterclockwise around the surface of the side until it gets back to where it started. Map tiling was a new feature of version 5 so for version 4.5.1 you have to use a really wide picture, or layer map, and apply it to the sides as its own material. So one material for the front and back and a separate one for the side.

The size will vary based on how curvy your objects are. A circle is pretty easy to figure the size. An S will require a lot wider of a map. A good place to start would be a layer map that was 100 pixels tall and 2000 pixels wide. If you are using a comp as the layer map be sure that the comp is the same dimensions as the map, otherwise the comp will end up cropping the map.

If you want to get really precise apply a square checker pattern to the map. Then you can see how the squares stretch and compensate by increasing the height or width of the map.

Hope that helps!
-Zax

Return to posts index

Karl Huber
Re: Texture on bevels and sides in ProAnimator
on May 18, 2012 at 12:30:36 pm

The checker pattern is a great idea...not sure why that didn't cross my mind.

Thanks Zax for the help and idea!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]