FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D Invig Setting Primitive values

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marty Bell
3D Invig Setting Primitive values
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:48:07 pm

I just started using the latest 3D Invigorator version (5.0.8) in After Effects CS4 on 64-bit Windows 7. I can add primitives and convert them to a Slab with no problem. But when I try to adjust any of the Primitive Settings by directly entering new values for Width, Height, Depth, etc in the text boxes, the values are completely ignored no matter what I've tried to get them to persist. I can make rough changes to the values by moving the associated sliders, and these changes are applied and saved normally. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: 3D Invig Setting Primitive values
on Nov 8, 2011 at 1:40:55 am

Hi Marty,

Are you able to enter the values for other primitives but not Slabs, or is it just Slabs you are having issues with? Also as a note, when you are entering values, be sure to hit either the "Tab" key or the "Enter" key on your keyboard.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Marty Bell
on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:57:38 pm

Hi Edward,
Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I still have the problem. It occurs on any Primitive, and is limited to values I manually type into the "Primitve Settings" boxes on the Object Controls panel. (I couldn't find an alternate place to try typing them.) Numbers typed into the "Info" values on the same panel work fine. But I type a value and press tab, the corresponding slider moves like it has accepted the value, but the screen doesn't refresh to show size changes. I click OK to exit the Invig window, and when I return, the old values are still there. Very strange.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:37:48 pm

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the information. I was able to confirm the issue on Windows. I will report the issue to our development team and have this resolved as soon as we can. Once the issue has been resolved, I'll send you an e-mail with the fix.

Sorry for the trouble you're running into. In the mean time, as a workaround, you can go into the "Object Controls" panel, and go into the "Info" tab. Then, unlock the Scale controls, and use the Scale controls to set the primitive size that you need.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Marty Bell
on Nov 8, 2011 at 10:40:07 pm

Thanks for the conformation, Edward. I understand your comment about using scaling in the meantime. It's a little better than using the sliders (finer control is possible), but still not great when everything has to fit together geometrically perfectly. But I appreciate your ckecking it out and that suggestion and will work around the problem for now.

Regards,
Marty

Return to posts index

Marty Bell
on Nov 9, 2011 at 5:06:10 pm

Hi again,
Well, this problem now seems worse than I thought. Must be specifically related to the Windows version. When working with Primitives, I could change/persist the "Info" values in the Object Controls panel, but not the values in the "Primitive Settings". However, when working with "Info" values of the Sets themselves (Set 1, Set 2, etc.),the same lack of persisting happens. Once a Set has Info values (Pivot, Position, Rotation, Scale) set once, there's no way to change them and have the new values retained. You can change all of them, but they changed values aren't saved when the Invig window is closed by clicking the OK button. This makes the product impossible to use for the things I was trying to do. Looks like I'll have to drop back to version 4 and start over until this gets resolved? Not happy about that.

Marty

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:13:48 pm

Hi Marty,

What you're seeing is that the Set changes do not get update automatically when you come out of the Invigorator Set-Up window. Once you click on the "Update Sets" button (the one that has the 3 cubes), you will see all the changes that you've applied.

Hope this helps. Once the fix for the Primitive sizes is available, I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Marty Bell
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:48:59 pm

Hi Edward,

Thanks for the response. I wish it was just an AE refresh problem, but it seems to be more. The actual values changed for Set Pivot, Position, Rotation, and Scale are ignored, and the previous values remain after leaving and reentering the Invig screen (regardless of whether I click the Update Sets button or not).

Marty

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:55:45 pm

Hi Marty,

I tried entering new values and entering and re-entering the Interface and it seems to take all the values I entered for the Sets.

Can you send a project file to me with steps on what you are doing so I can see if I can reproduce it on my system? My e-mail address is ed@zaxwerks.com. Thanks.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Marty Bell
on Nov 9, 2011 at 7:18:24 pm

I see at least a big part of my problem. I'm setting the Set's Track 3D Layer to an AE Null layer, and this is probably why I can't change any of these values (even though some of them don't make sense still). For instance, the Null is 198x198, scaled at 100% in all 3 dimensions, and Oriented at 90 degrees in the X plane. When I set this object as the Set's 3D tracking layer, the Set's X Rotation changes to 90 degrees (understandable), it's X scale changes to 90.9091 (not understandable), and the Y Position changes to -6.062e-15 (also not understandable). So maybe I'm going about this all wrong. I have 2 Sets that I want to start out at 90 degree angles to each other, so I set up 2 Null layers and oriented one at 90 degrees to the other and assigned them to the two Sets of objects. However, even though the Nulls are aligned properly, the Sets they're assigned to end up parallel to each other. I developed the animation paths based on the idea that the Invig Sets would align against the Null layers, but there must be more to it than that?

Marty

Return to posts index

Marty Bell
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:07:28 am

Hi again Edward,
OK, I figured all my problems out and can understand AE layer tracking issues a lot better now. Everything, with the exception of the original Primitive Settings issue, works as it should. I switched to straight parenting of the Null tracking layers from some expressions I was using to try to coordinate their movements and now it all works (and is much easier to control). Thought I'd better give you and Zaxwerks credit and will spend more time looking for possible reasons before claiming there's another bug in the future!

Thanks again,
Marty

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Nov 15, 2011 at 5:38:25 pm

Hi Marty,

Sorry for the late response. I was out of the office for a few days. Glad to hear that you got everything sorted out with the Layer Tracking. Thanks for the update.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]