FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D Invigorator Shadow & Reflector at the same time?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonabert Cabansal
3D Invigorator Shadow & Reflector at the same time?
on May 9, 2011 at 2:12:00 pm

Is there any way I could use Shadow and Reflector for a Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator project at the same time?

I wanted to create a logo similar to this one,

however the problem is the plane that I created to proxy as a shadow catcher is blocking the reflection for the 3D text on the comp.

So, is there any solution to this one?

Thanks in advance! More power!

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: 3D Invigorator Shadow & Reflector at the same time?
on May 9, 2011 at 4:50:57 pm

Hi Jonabert,

You can try duplicating the Invigorator layer and setting the transparency of your letters to 100%. This will make your letters transparent, but the shadows will show up. Next, go into After Effects and turn off all layers except for the duplicated layer. You can then render out this animation and you will get a movie file with just the shadows. Go back into After Effects and turn everything back on. Import the movie, and turn off the duplicated Invigorator layer. When applying Reflector you can can choose to vampire the shadow movie file, and this way it will not block the reflections like the shadow catcher was doing.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Jonabert Cabansal
on May 10, 2011 at 4:47:29 pm

Thanks Edward.

OK. I tried to start the project all over again 'cause I just noticed that AE 3D layer comps and 3D Inv are not compatible with each other. Which didn't align my 3D Inv text and the floor I created in AE 3D solid layer. What I did was I managed to create the floor via 3D Inv, however the problem again is I can't seem to work the Reflector out.

Final question, supposedly I create my floor thru 3D Invigorator via a plane, or a flat cube. And then I also create the 3D text (with shadows), separately, also in 3D Invg but thru a different layer. Will the 3D Invig floor I created work as a Reflector for my 3D Text if I apply Zaxwerks Reflector?

Thanks again! Hoping for you response.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 10, 2011 at 5:36:21 pm

Hi Jonabert,

Try working out the objects and the reflections first without the shadows. This will be easier to set up. First, create a layer for your Invigorator text. Then, create a 3D Layer (floor) in After Effects for Reflector. If you position the floor layer correctly, you should be able to see your text reflecting in the floor layer.

The tricky part is to create the shadows. To do this, you can duplicate the Invigorator text layer. This will be your shadow layer. Next, go into the Invigorator Set-Up window, and create a plane to act as the shadow catcher. Apply a shadow catcher material, and also apply a 100% transparent material onto the text. Your text will become transparent, but you will still be able to see your shadows. In the Reflector layer, set the shadow layer as a vampire layer.

After this setup, you should have your 3D Text, the shadow layer, and the reflection floor layer. Since the shadow layer has been set to vampire, the shadow layer will not appear as a reflection in the floor layer. This should get you the look you're going for.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Jonabert Cabansal
on May 11, 2011 at 1:56:00 pm

It worked!

Thanks again, Ed! Bless you!

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 11, 2011 at 7:25:31 pm

No problem!

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Jonabert Cabansal
on May 16, 2011 at 8:23:56 am

Got another problem Ed. I can't seem to work out the obscuration effect of Trapcode Particular to my 3D Invig Text. I would like to create a streak transition effect like this video, w/c I previously posted.

Is there any chance? Thanks again Ed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]