FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator CS4 to AE Invigorator issue

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Goodman
Illustrator CS4 to AE Invigorator issue
on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:10:31 pm

I am trying to get a vector art grid imported into Invigorator in After Effects. Grid was created in Illustrator CS4, saved down to various legacy formats, but each time I "open illustrator file" in Invigorator, all I get is the grid rectangular outline, not any of the grid itself. Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Illustrator CS4 to AE Invigorator issue
on Mar 3, 2011 at 9:28:35 pm

Remember that the grid should not be made with lines, but with multiple rectangles.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:04:53 am

Hi Jeff,

If you are using a line with a thick stroke, you will need to select the lines, go to the "Object > Path > Outline Stroke" command. This will take the width of the line, and make an outline of the line.

If you are creating the grid from making one big rectangle with small rectangles within the big rectangle, you will have to select all the inner rectangles, then select the outer rectangle. Then, go to "Pathfinder" and select the "Minus Front/Subtract" command. This will take the inner rectangles, and punch holes in the outer rectangle.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Jeff Goodman
on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:00:37 pm

I created the grid with lines, using Illustrator's grid function.

I converted the lines to outline stroke, used various sizes of stroke and still won't open in Invigorator as anything other than a large rectangle with no grid inside.

Q: Is it best to save down to Illustrator 8 or 9 to open in Invigorator?

Not sure how to do second method - creating grid with rectangles, but will try that for awhile.

Thanks, Edward.
-Jeff

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 4, 2011 at 10:13:26 pm

The easier method is the "Outline Stroke" that Edward explained.

I have opened with no issues many Illustrator CS3, CS4 and CS5 files. The only catch is to save them with no compression.

There's a tutorial on how prepare Illustrator files for Invigorator here:

http://zaxwerks.com/training/?p=468

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Mar 4, 2011 at 11:48:09 pm

Hi Jeff,

One more step you may have to do. The Illustrator grid is actually composed of individual lines and grouped together. This is why it is not importing correctly even when you use the Outline Stroke command. To fix this, ungroup the grid in Illustrator. Then, go into the Pathfinder panel, and select the "Unite" command. This will merge all the paths together, and you will have one solid shape. You should be able to save the file and import it into Invigorator without any issues.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]