FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating Logos on a cube surface

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Dikmen
Animating Logos on a cube surface
on Sep 9, 2010 at 9:25:00 am

I have (4) 3D Logos that I created in Illustrator and extruded them inside of Pro Animator.

I am trying to map the (4) logos to each side of a rotating box (similar to the FOX NEWS animated cube on TV).

Is this possible in ProAnimator or is there a better way?

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Animating Logos on a cube surface
on Sep 9, 2010 at 5:11:07 pm

Hi John,

If you want to map 4 logos onto a cube, you can do this by just applying texture maps onto each side of a cube.

If you want to take the extruded logos that you created and apply them to each side of a cube, that's possible too, but you would need to rotate the extruded logos so they fit onto each side of the cube. Then, after positioning the extruded logos to each side of the cube, move all of the logos and the cube to the same Object Track. After all of the logos have been placed in the same Object Track, group all of the objects together. By keeping all of the objects grouped together, all the logos will rotate or move together with the cube.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Sep 9, 2010 at 8:29:40 pm

Edward,

Thanks for the response. I played with this some more between when i posted and your post and came to the same conclusion that you proposed in your final instructions. I created a cube primitive and mapped the first logo to one of the faces, but still trying to figure out how to "group" the objects. I could get them all on the same animation track, but the logo and cube rotate independently around their corresponding centers right now. Good to know it can at least be done, just need to get these to group together.

I can;e believe how much I forgot about using Pro Animator in just a few months after switching to AE-CS5, so I had to go back to CS3 for this project. I am sure I will figure something out if you don't have any quick pointers on grouping.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Sep 9, 2010 at 8:42:04 pm

Hi John,

To group your objects, go to the Pose Grouping section (located in Pose Actions towards the right hand side of the screen), and select Make Group. If your objects are still rotating independently after grouping the objects, go to the Transition Grouping (located right below "Timing" towards the middle of the screen), and select "Make Hard Group". After grouping your objects, use the "Rotate Around Common Center" to rotate the logos with the cube.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Sep 9, 2010 at 8:51:01 pm

Aah! I was looking inside of Invigorator. I see it now in the Pose Section of the animation window.

Almost there!

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Sep 9, 2010 at 9:43:33 pm

Edward,

Just one last thing (and I guess I will have to go back into intensive ProAnimator training!).

I have everything set up inside ProAnimator (logos mapped to primitive cube with the cube made invisible). Looks great inside ProAnimator (positioning, animation, etc.), but now when I return to AECS3 it appears as though the camera is zoomed in to far? All I see is flashes of color from the logos filling the "solid" in AE, but since the correct color are flashing, I am assuming that the logo is indeed animating, but the camera or something is just zoomed in too far?

Inside AE:
Comp is set to 300 x 300 Square Pixels
Solid is set to 300 x 300 Square Pixels - Scale is set to 100%

Inside ProAnimator:
The outline animation perimeter appears "square" in aspect ratio (as it should)
My Base Cube dimensions are 210x210x210 (fits perfectly within the outline perimeter throughout the animation sequence).
Camera is set to Front View / Orthographic

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Like I say the objects and animation appear to look/work perfect inside ProAnimator - they just don't look the same when returning to AE - too far zoomed in somehow?

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Sep 9, 2010 at 9:54:24 pm

Hi John,

Check to see if you have "Use Comp Camera" enabled. If you do, this may cause the camera view to be different than what you see inside of the ProAnimator interface. If you are still having the same issue, try changing the Camera from "Orthographic" to "Normal" and see if this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Sep 9, 2010 at 10:42:56 pm

Comp Camera is not checked.

Switching to NORMAL Camera Lens, does get the element to at least show up in AE the same what they appear in ProAnimator (does not really explain why Orthographic does not work WYSIWYG?)

Apparently I have done something to cause what PA thinks is the center of the universe to not be in syn with the center of the comp window? When I create a new primitive CUBE for instance it pops up outside the render window (even in NORMAL Lens mode). If I select the new cube and click move to center, it still stays outside the render perimeter. Is there a way to get the "center" back to the "center"?

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Sep 10, 2010 at 12:20:59 am

Finally got everything to work!

Apparently the Orthographic Camera just does not render to AE - maybe it is just designed to be used for setting up a scene?

Anyway, thanks again for all the assistance - really looking forward to the CS5 version!

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Sep 13, 2010 at 6:39:57 pm

Hi John,

Good to hear everything worked out!

We'll take a look into the Orthographic Camera issue you're running into. There may be an issue with using it within After Effects. We'll investigate this issue. Thanks for the information.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Sep 13, 2010 at 6:55:45 pm

Yes, everything worked out great!

I tried several of the various camera lenses (other than Orthographic) and they all worked as expected. If I switched to say a 1000mm lens from the Normal (50mm) lens, it would zoom in on the objects inside the ProAnimator interface throwing them out side the render window (as expected), but I could then dolly the camera out to enclose all elements and everything looked in sync back in AE. The Orthographic lens was really indispensable for getting everything positioned, but even though all the object elements would be contained within the render window upon leaving the PA plugin, back in AE it appeared that everything was just zoomed in about 1000%. It was the only lens that I could not get a realistic view inside of PA as it would appear back in AE. I finally used the 1000mm lens for a final render an that got me pretty close to the Orthographic look for what I was doing.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Sep 14, 2010 at 9:35:33 pm

Hi John,

I think we may have an issue where the Orthographic Camera ends up ignoring the Pixel Aspect Ratio when it goes back into After Effects. This may be why you are not able to see your objects when you get back into After Effects. I'm glad you were able to find a workaround to get the same look for your object though.

We'll look into this issue, and get this resolved.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Rich Leach
on Sep 17, 2010 at 5:15:15 pm

... would I be able to use video(s) instead of an image in this case? I've (finally) gotten the logos onto my cube faces and all works well; can I do the same but with video?

... and yes I would just go ahead and try it except that I'm not at my computer with Zaxwerks at the moment, however the thought of doing this is pretty exciting....

Thanks,

Rich

Return to posts index

MIchael Clark
on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:40:46 am

Yes - I have a use for video on the faces as well - did you get it to work with video?

Return to posts index

Rich Leach
on Mar 3, 2011 at 2:14:27 am

Hi-
I hope that this post is not considered offensive by those of us who:
* are on a Mac
* are anxiously awaiting the CS5 version of ProAnimator
* need to continue to be productive in the 3D space until the ProAnimator upgrade comes out

I spent a lot of time struggling to make the 3D rotating cube effect work for me, and wanted to share a solution I found using an alternative 3D animation program, Kinemac. It actually takes animation on a cube face to the next level, you simply drag movie clips onto the faces and you're animated. Very cool stuff.

http://www.cfsnap.com/index.cfm/blog/3d-software-and-effects/how-to-build-y...

It's quick and easy to use and with what I know about the existing version of ProAnimator I really believe these 2 applications will compliment each other more than they'll compete with each other.

I hope this helps someone!

Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]