FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating 3D Gel Text...

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Honiball
Creating 3D Gel Text...
on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:58:25 pm

Hi:

I am struggling to create some 3D text that looks like gel or like the text had been created with toothpaste or silicon. Any ideas on how to create this look? I am using Photoshop Invigorator plug-in.

Thank you, Glenn

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Creating 3D Gel Text...
on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:28:37 pm

Hi Glenn,

If you're looking to make 3D Text that looks like gel or silicon, you will want to check out our Video Tutorials that show off Digital Juice Fonts with ProAnimator in the link below:

http://www.zaxwerks.com/training/

Even though the tutorial covers some aspects of ProAnimator, most of the tutorial focus on creating unique looking 3D Text with Digital Juice fonts. From the program, you'll be able to create very interesting looks such as the gel, silicon, and many interesting looks such as fur, metal, and more.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Glenn Honiball
on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:53:43 pm

Thank you Edward. I checked out the video, but where does one get the Digital Juice Fonts and can they be used in Invigorator?

Thank you, Glenn

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Apr 27, 2010 at 12:20:49 am

Hi Glenn,

Digital Juice Fonts are sold by the company Digital Juice. The program is an extensive series of fonts where you can create cool 2D image files. You can choose different picture formats such as JPG, PNG, PSD, etc. You can then use the images and convert them into paths, and extrude them in 3D Invigorator. Then, crop and apply the images as texture maps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Glenn Honiball
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:48:48 am

Hi Edward:

Thank you for the reply. It's a shame that I have to fork out more money to get the effect I want to get. I thought Invigorator could accomplish this. Invigorator has just about every style except the ability to make text look like a round pipe. Is there any way to modify the shape in the 'Profile View'? If I could just change the shape in there I'd probably be all set.

One other question, I can adjust the 'Edge Offset' to a point where the text becomes round, however when I set Edge Offset below (-4) which makes it round the text just explodes into a scattered shape. Is this normal?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:03:46 pm

Hi Glenn,

You could change the bevel of the text to whatever shape you want it to look like. This is done by creating custom bevels. To do this, go to your "Documents > Zaxwerks > 3D Invigorator Pro" folder, then go into the "Custom Edges" folder. You will see an "Edge Examples.ai" file. Open this file with Illustrator, then create a new layer and draw your edge. You can use the other sample profiles to see how to create the bevel that you want for your text.

In terms of the look of the text, I was suggesting Digital Juice Fonts because they have a wide variety of looks for fonts including Gel looking fonts. However, you can use any texture maps you like in 3D Invigorator, so if you find your own gel looking texture maps, you can still create the same looks without using the textures from Digital Juice.

For Edge Offset, if you set too much of an offset, it could cause the text to fall apart. This is because the text is extruded from the front face, so if you adjust too much offset where the front face is removed, then this could cause the effect where you see the text becomes a scattered shape.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Glenn Honiball
on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:53:58 pm

Hi Edward:

If I could modify the shapes that would be great.

I looked in the "Documents > Zaxwerks > 3D Invigorator Pro" folder, then go into the "Custom Edges" folder. However I do not have a 'Custom Edges' folder.

All I have is this:

Documents/Zaxworks/ the only folders I have are these ones....

3D Invigorator PS
Zaxwerks Environments
Zaxwerks Maps
Zaxwerks Swatches
Light Swatches
Lighting Style Swatches
Material Swatches
Object Style Swatches

Is there anywhere else I can check? It's a Mac/OSX 10.6.3

Thank you, Glenn

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:30:40 pm

Hi Glenn,

Sorry for the confusion. The 3D Invigorator for Photoshop does not have the ability to load custom edges. I was thinking of 3D Invigorator Pro for the After Effects plug-in. Depending on what you want to do, you may be able to try applying a texture map onto a cylinder, and see if that achieves the same pipe look that you were looking for. You can then use a Transparency map to mask out all the areas of the cylinder that you don't need.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Glenn Honiball
on Apr 27, 2010 at 3:45:52 pm

I checked with Digital Juice, the fonts are rendered flat from their end and exported out. A camera angle cannot be used to change the perspective of the font. Unfortunately, they won't work for me.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:12:56 pm

Hi Glenn,

Right, the Digital Juice Fonts are rendered flat with the texture map applied already. With Photoshop, you can get the path of the text, extrude the text in 3D Invigorator and apply the texture map onto the object. If you're interested in the process, please watch our video tutorial below:

http://zaxwerks.com/training/?p=353

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]