FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D Grid Warp - help

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Bush
3D Grid Warp - help
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:41:42 pm

I was given this sample image by an illustrator (he made it in Adobe Illustrator if that matters)...

I am trying to come close to mimicking this form, but in 3D space. It seems like the perfect job for 3D Mesh Warp, but after several hours of fiddling with the controls and reading the manual, I just can't get anywhere close to this shape. Does anyone have any thoughts as far as which settings to use for my 3 Warps? A simple twist doesn't seem to give me the proper perspective, but once I try to add bends or tapers things start to go crazy. For one I seem to only be able to control one side - like I can't seem to add a taper to BOTH ends (top and bottom).

If anyone can help me wrap my head around this I'd appreciate it.

Scott

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: 3D Grid Warp - help
on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:57:40 pm

Hi Scott,

I was trying to create the form for you, and while I couldn't create the exact shape just yet, you can try what I did to get a similar shape.

Create a long shape:
Shape Controls:
Left Edge: 100
Right Edge: 200
Top Edge: 300
Bottom Edge:500

Then, apply the following 3 Warps:
Warp 1: Twist One Side (Y-Axis)
Warp Amount: 80
Y Warp Center: -380
Warp Rotation: 25

Warp 2: Twist One Side (X-Axis)
Warp Amount: -50
Y- Warp Center: -10

Warp 3: Bend One Side (X-Axis)
Warp Amount: 45
Warp Rotation: -30

I didn't have a chance to invest a lot of time into this, so like I mentioned, it's not the exact shape that you have in your picture. However, it does have the bend towards the bottom that you have in your picture. You might be able to tweak this and get the shape that you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Scott Bush
Re: 3D Grid Warp - help
on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:11:25 am

Edward... WOW!

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. You got much closer than I was able to... I'll take this as a starting point. If you're ever in NYC I owe you a beer.

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]