FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tumbling Type Cubes

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Latman
Tumbling Type Cubes
on Jan 18, 2010 at 4:20:07 pm

In Illustrator I made a series of boxes lined up in a row and then put letters on them. I then brought this into ProAnimator and proceeded to extrude and bevel my elements so I had a series of cubes with extruded letters on one face of each cube. Kind of like Type Slugs from an old printing press.

What I want to do now is have the cubed word come into existence as it rotates and fades in along a center axis, almost as if all the cubed letters are on a spindle through their centers along the horizontal plane.
I get it to sort of work but I encounter either this problem
A) the last letter cube in the cascade does not show up in a tumble, but just pops in.
or
B) the cubes rotate independently of the letters, and they do not look like they are sitting on one face but rather in the center of their respective cubes until they reached the end of the animation.

Am I again pushing the limits of ProAnimator or is this a bug?

Serge's latest tutorial on adding an axis point for your elements helps. Eventually I want to do this with a bunch of words on both vertical and horizontal axises, kind of like a cross word.
Right now I'm testing and any info would help.

And yes I know you can do this better in a true 3D app, and I am pleading for Cinema 4D this year, but this is what I have to work with.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Tumbling Type Cubes
on Jan 19, 2010 at 8:19:40 pm

Hi Ken,

Try the following techniques and see if they help with your project:

A) For the first issue you are running into, try adjusting the slider for the "Ease" and that may help the letter show up earlier so the letter may still show up in a tumble.

B) For the letters and the cube, try doing a hard group for each letter for each character. When you use hard group for your letters, they will move and rotate together.

If you're still having issues, you can try e-mailing me the project so I can take a look at what you are running into. My e-mail address is ed@zaxwerks.com

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]