FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips for proper sizing of texture maps for edges in Invigorator Pro

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Matthies
Tips for proper sizing of texture maps for edges in Invigorator Pro
on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:28:22 pm

I understand how edge maps are applied counterclock-wise from lowest point around Invigorator edges, but does someone have any advice on sizing the maps so that the texture, especially bumps, doesn't smear or stretch. Can I resize the image longer horizontally or vertically to have a more accurate representation of my original texture map on the edge? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Tips for proper sizing of texture maps for edges in Invigorator Pro
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:11:00 pm

Hi David,

A texture map is automatically stretched to fit around your objects. So if you want to have want the texture map to fit perfectly around the edges, you may have to create a separate map for the edges than the front and back edges. The edge profile texture map will need to be a long strip so it does not get stretched vertically around the edges. If you setup the texture map as a Layer Map pre-comp, you can just play with your texture map in the After Effects pre-comp, and see how the edges are affected.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
Re: Tips for proper sizing of texture maps for edges in Invigorator Pro
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:43:39 pm

Hi,

I would follow Edward's tip to work with the layer mapping technique. To make things easier here is one of the tricks I teach in my training DVD.

- Create a composition that is 3000 X 100 for instance add a solid layer and apply the Checkerboard effect to it.

- Now use this comp as a texture map for the edge of your object. You will then see if the checkerboard is stretched or has perfect squares.

- If the pattern is stretched Alter the height of your layer map composition until you get perfect little checkerboard squares. Once you get it right, you would then only need to create a bump map or what ever map at the same aspect ratio. With a little practice you will be able to make this adjustments in less then a min.

Salut.
Serge

New! InvigoMany-Media volume I & II available here:
http://www.nyc-visual.com

Invigorator/Proanimator Training: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]