FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding a rounded edge to a 3d Primitive in ProAnimator

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Gales
adding a rounded edge to a 3d Primitive in ProAnimator
on Oct 25, 2009 at 6:38:20 pm

Forgive me if this is obvious to seasoned ProAnimator users, but I am trying to make a 3d primitive with a rounded or beveled edge. I create something like a pyramid with four sides and want just the corners leading to the point to be rounded. I then want to use a square box and round the corners of only the sides and place these two objects together to make a drediel. Any tips on adding and adjusting corners of 3d primitives?

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: adding a rounded edge to a 3d Primitive in ProAnimator
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:54:56 pm

Hi Tim,

If you want rounded sides for your pyramid, you may consider creating a custom pyramid from four triangular "slabs", then adding another slab as the base of the pyramid.

By creating custom slabs, you can add your own custom bevels that you create in Illustrator, and create the specific look that you are going for. As for the square box, you can also make one using the same technique by piecing 6 square slabs together to form the cube. After piecing together the shape, you can then group them together so that the piece moves as one single object.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Tim Gales
on Oct 27, 2009 at 12:10:51 am

Edward,

That's a great answer. Thanks. I knew there had to be away. Here's part two, if you are inclined, how would one make a round bowl that has a square opening in ProAnimator?
Thanks for your help.
Tim

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Oct 27, 2009 at 4:54:28 pm

Hi Tim,

You're welcome.

As to part two, you may have to go with an imported object from another 3D program. While it's possible to create a bowl shape in ProAnimator, it may be tricky to get a square opening.

To create a bowl shape, you can use our lathe techniques with custom edges shown in the link below:

http://zaxwerks.com/goodies/custom_edges.shtml

However, to combine the bowl shape with the square opening, you may have to play with combining multiple shapes in ProAnimator, and piecing the whole shape together. Or if it's possible, create the shape from another 3D program such as Maya or Lightwave, and re-import the object back into ProAnimator.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]