FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reflector = Bad Reflections

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory Kuhn
Reflector = Bad Reflections
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:55:52 pm

Trying to use Reflector with a floor plane and I am not having much luck. I am using a 5000 X 5000 300DPI floor plane and here is what I get with refelctor:

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/Kuhndog1976/Reflector-1.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, the comp is 720 HD.

Thanks!
Greg Kuhn

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Reflector = Bad Reflections
on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:39:29 pm

Hi Greg,

Looking at your picture, it might not be needed to use a 5000x5000 size floor plane.

What you can do is created a 1000x1000 (or 2000x2000) dark gray/black Solid within After Effects, and apply 3D Reflector to the Solid. This way, with the smaller Solid size, it may cut down on processing time, and also rendering time as well.

From your picture, you may be getting the bad reflection because you have scaled the floor image. It's also possible that if you used the Replace Footage feature to replace a small image with a big image that has 3D Reflector applied to it, you may also get the effect that you are seeing now. If you are using the Replace Footage feature, you may want to use the "Use Reflections Only" feature from 3D Reflector, and make a duplicate of your floor layer. Delete 3D Reflector from your duplicate, then you can have one layer as the reflection, and one layer as the floor. You will then be able to swap out the floor with any image you like.

For more information on the "Use Reflections Only" feature, you may be interested in our newest video tutorial called "3D Reflector Fancy Reflective Floors".

You can view the tutorial from our link below:

http://zaxwerks.com/training/

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Gregory Kuhn
on Oct 20, 2009 at 1:18:30 pm

Thanks, I have viewed the tutorial and got this figured out yesterday. Now I have a new problem though. Here is my render from the project.

mms://wm1.riverbendmedia.com/iphc/Personal/Opener_Test-1.wmv

As you can see, The reflections fly in from the top and do not fade with my Text Layers. In AE, when I move in the timeline, the reflections mess up but when I hit Update Frame, they are fixed. If I hit Update Comp though they look crazy again. And, as you can see, they are not rendering accurately.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Greg Kuhn

Proverbs 15:22
Without counsel, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Oct 20, 2009 at 5:34:11 pm

Hi Greg,

Would it be possible to post a screen shot (or convert the .wmv to a .mov)? I am unable to open your wmv format.

Also, what version of 3D Reflector and After Effects are you running?

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Gregory Kuhn
on Oct 20, 2009 at 7:06:33 pm

I am using AE CS4 and Reflector 1.0, I think. I downloaded a CS4 updater script. Here is a link to download a QT file:

http://dl1.riverbendmedia.com/iphcnet/Personal/Opener_Test-1A.mov

Thanks for all of your help on this.

-Greg Kuhn

Proverbs 15:22
Without counsel, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Oct 20, 2009 at 8:16:56 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for attaching the new movie.

If you are using 3D Reflector version 1.0, I would recommend that you download the latest version, which is 1.5.0. The latest version contains bug fixes as well as stability fixes.

From the way the reflection moves, it could be the way the floor is set up that is causing the reflection to fly in from the top. You will want to make sure that your floor surface has a 90 degree x-rotation.

If you are still having any issues, you can try sending the project file to me at ed@zaxwerks.com

I can take a look at your project setup to see what you are running into.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]