FORUMS: list search recent posts

unable to import from Illustrator

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucia Bastenhof
unable to import from Illustrator
on Jun 13, 2009 at 7:40:41 am

Hi !
As I said in the title, I've met problems to import an .ai file, but let me say straight that it's not because of the "Use compression" checkbox checked ! Here are the facts :

- Working at home, on Illustrator and AE CS3, it was OK, I made my .ai file, unchecked the "Use Compression" option, and imported it without harm into AE.
- Then I go to finish the job by the company. There I work with Illustrator CS2, and AE CS4.
> I could open the .ai file I made at home ;
> There was no way to open an .ai file made there (with Illustrator CS2). No way. And of course I unchecked the "Use Compression" option.

Do you have an idea about how to fix the problem (for the next time) ?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: unable to import from Illustrator
on Jun 15, 2009 at 5:59:13 pm

Hi Lucia,

There shouldn't be a difference importing files between Illustrator CS2 and CS4. From your description, it seems like you are working on two separate files, so here are some things to watch out for.

Even if you are saving the file without Compression, there are other factors that could cause you to receive an error message when you try to import the Illustrator file. Be sure to remove all pixel images from the file, even if they are invisible. If you are tracing your logo from a picture file, remove the picture after you are finished tracing. In addition, if you are using pixel effects such as drop shadows, you will need to remove them from your Illustrator file as well.

If you are still having any issues, please send the Illustrator file to me at: ed@zaxwerks.com

I'll take a look at your Illustrator file and see what you're running into.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Lucia Bastenhof
on Jun 18, 2009 at 1:46:29 am

Hi Wu,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I didn't keep the .ai file. But since I'll drop in on this employer next week, I'll make it again, and if it still doesn't work, I'll send you the file.

For what I can say by now, there was no pixel images into the file, just 2 layers with "2009" (normal and reversed).

For this time, I could make the whole thing differently (making the letters into the text generator, normal "2009" just one time, and duplicating the layer to make the reversed one), but for other projects I could really be in a mess...

I come back to you as soon as I can ! :-)

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jun 19, 2009 at 12:07:14 am

Sure, if you are still having any issues, definitely contact me.

I typically work with a lot of Illustrator files ranging from CS2-CS4 and I haven't run into any issues, so if you are having any problems, I'll take a look at the Illustrator setup.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Tim Stainton
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:11:58 pm

Hi Edward,
I'm having a similar problem and can't figure it out.
I've just recently been upgraded to CS4 (from CS3).
I've been working with Invigorator Pro for year's and am only now having a problem importing vectors.
I've got a file with 21 layers (not unusual) All layers outlined text, saved with compression turned off.
I'm getting the error message about no useable vector paths.
When I delete all layers except for one there's no problem.
I really don't want to make 21 separate illustrator files to get this job done.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]