FORUMS: list search recent posts

texture maps on extruded text - comparison

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucia Bastenhof
texture maps on extruded text - comparison
on May 15, 2009 at 1:53:17 am

Hi everyone ! :-)

I've had to cope a few times with issues about texture mapping on extruded text, and I'd like to share my overview with you, as I've shared it on the Creative Cow forum (here : http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/956975 ). I hope you'll have answers about Zaxwerks plugins.

Here are 4 pictures :
1/ Extruded text with 3D ProAnimator from Zaxwerks :

2/ ... with Maltaannon's 3DExtruder Custom Effect :

3/ ... with 40 layers :

4/ ... with the Shatter fx :

I haven't try the Boris Continuum extruded text plug-in, but for what I've seen, it reacts like ProAnimator, that is to say : texture mappings on the face and on the extrusion are separated.

That's the point : For the works I've done, I needed the mapping on the extrusion to follow the mapping on the faces. As if the letters were sculpted in one piece of material.
I could do this with all the bunch of layers, or fortunately with the Shatter fx, but neither with Maltaannon Custom Effect, nor with ProAnimator.
That means I could'nt use the most powerful tools !

So, I'd like to know : are there tips I don't know about Zaxwerks' plugin ?

And now that I made those images, other questions are arising also :
- Here with ProAnimator, the texture is applied on each letter or symbol separately, as we can see on ";-)". How do you apply one single texture on all the faces together ? (I guess something is possible in 3DInvigorator, with the sets - apply a texture on a set/group ?- but anyway, sets don't exist in ProAnimator, for what I've seen so far...)
- In 3D Invigorator or in ProAnimator, is there a way for 'spreading' the faces' texture map on a choosen part of the sides ?
This question is linked to the main one, about letters sculpted in one single material...

Thank you ! :-)

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: texture maps on extruded text - comparison
on May 15, 2009 at 11:29:46 pm

Hi Lucia,

ProAnimator allows you to apply texture maps on the front, back, side, and hole edges. The front and back sides are simply mapped flat, while the side edges are mapped with the material "wrapped" across the sides. While it's possible to get the look that you're going for, it does take a bit of work to figure out how to apply the texture map onto the surface, so that it wraps correctly. Below are pictures of different letters.

This is the example look that you had. As mentioned earlier, if you were to go for this type of look, you would have to figure out what the sides look like so you can create a texture map for the side of the object. You will need a separate texture map for the front and the sides, and assign each texture map to the appropriate side of the object.

This is how the texture map usually gets applied onto the sides. The material gets wrapped around the object while you get a clean surface for the face of the letter. It still looks like the letter is sculpted from one material, but the "cookie cutter" is cut from the top instead of from the front.

Likewise, in this setup, you will need the original material for the side, and a one color texture map for the front face.

This setup is similar to the 3D Extruder Custom Effect look that you had. You apply the multicolor gradient on the front face, and a solid color on the side of the object.

Here are the answers to your other questions:
1) To apply a single texture map to multiple objects/faces, be sure to select all the objects and drag and drop the material onto one object. When multiple objects are selected, they will all be mapped with the same texture map that was applied.

2) To apply different texture maps to the front and sides of your object, click the Material Setup button, and you will be able to see the edge profile of your object. In the edge profile, you can assign different materials to different faces, as well as assign profile splits to the sides.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Lucia Bastenhof
on May 16, 2009 at 1:33:11 am

Thank you, Edward... but I have to say I know what you say, for having read extensively the Zaxwerks User's guide... :-/

2 remarks :
- Creating a 2nd texture to wrap on the extrusion in order to meet the face map... is exactly what I'd like to avoid... Seems to me very painful...

- About One single texture on all the letters'faces : I did what you say : all select + drag and drop, but as we can see on the ";-)" on my 1st photo, each letter is wrapped separately... I guess there must be a way for grouping the letters... :-/

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 18, 2009 at 10:39:50 pm

Hi Lucia,

About having to apply a second texture map for the sides, unfortunately, in a case like this, you will need to have a separate map whether it be through a pre-comp or just an image file. I personally can't think of a different workaround to achieve the effect that you're looking for, but it's possible that another user might have the solution that you're looking for.

As for applying one material to multiple objects, I think I misunderstood you, sorry. I thought you meant something in the lines of dragging and dropping one material onto multiple objects at a time, instead of having to drag and drop the material over and over for each object. To achieve this effect, group your text together inside of Illustrator.

When you group your text together in Illustrator, it forces ProAnimator to recognize the multiple objects as one object, and you will be able to "spread" that one texture map onto multiple objects.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Lucia Bastenhof
on May 20, 2009 at 8:16:16 am

Hi Edward,

Thank you for these answers. About the extrusion mapping, I hope the next version of ProAnimator will take this issue into account.

Best,

Lucia

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 22, 2009 at 11:46:13 pm

Hi Lucia,

You're welcome. From what I heard, I believe the next version will address that.... and much much more. :)

Stay tuned.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]