FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serpentine Demo question

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Baum
Serpentine Demo question
on May 12, 2009 at 8:31:07 pm

I was just trying out the Serpentine demo and was wondering if Serpentine occupied the same 3D space as other AE 3D layers. It doesn't seem to since I can't get a 'serpant' to fly around a 3d layer, despite the fact that the the motion path it's following does. Is this a limitation or am I doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Serpentine Demo question
on May 12, 2009 at 9:34:32 pm

Hi John,

The way 3D Serpentine is designed is that it basically takes the 3D path you draw in After Effects, and extrudes the path. So if the path is following along the edges of your 3D Layer, the extrusion will follow along that same path as well. One thing to look out for is to keep the Comp sized Solid that contains 3D Serpentine as a 2D layer. If the 3D Serpentine layer is converted to a 3D Layer too, then your graphics will not display properly.

If you need an example file, please contact me at ed@zaxwerks.com and I can send you an example file to look at.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
on May 13, 2009 at 7:56:37 pm

Hi John.

Serpentine layers exist as 2D layers. We simulate the 3D look by taking in AE's camera, lights, and paths to render a 3D image.

You're correct in that you cannot have a serpent fly around a regular 3D AE layer without some visual tricks. They don't really exist in the same 3D space, although many artists have been able to make it look like they're in the same space.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 13, 2009 at 9:45:58 pm

Hi John,

I apologize. I mistaken what you meant. I had thought you wanted the serpent to go around the layer as in creating a border, which would be possible. However, to really revolve around the object would involve "faking it out" like Matt mentioned.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

John Baum
on May 13, 2009 at 10:35:52 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]